Current Page: 1 of 2
Lost Fans
Posted by: an angry wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2016 14:48

Prior to the Burton game there was a fairly aggressive marketing campaign with talk of a sell out yet we barely managed 22 k which isn't bad in the wider scheme of things but put into context was only ranked the 6th highest gate in ten of the 3pm championship kick offs yesterday. Baring in mind the significant investment this summer, I'd say years of Morgan and Moxey have contributed to several thousand supporters having effectively given up the ghost breaking the habit of attending with better things to do at the weekend. Once the habit of attending is broken ,it's hard to get back into and suspect had this fixture been played ten years ago after a similar take over we would have seen at least another 3-4 thousand fans in attendance

Re: Lost Fans
Posted by: cedric harper (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2016 17:52

Eventually they will return, however there is not too much to get excited about on the pitch right now. If you don't invest in a business it will fall and after last year in particular it is going to take some time to repair the damage done especially concerning the fan Base.

Posted by: Arthur Tannen (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2016 18:11

Some may return, but a lot will be lost forever. I went regular from the age of 5, had a season ticket for over 20 years but I'll never have one again. As angry says in most cases it's a habit, you go as a kid and just carry on from there and to be honest if the football had been decent and there was reasonable investment in the team I'd probably have had one until old age. But once that cycle is broken I think most are lost forever. I haven't been regular for 3 years and even if Wolves were at the top in the champions league I wouldn't go regularly again. There's a bit of a buzz about the new owners and I'll probably go to a few games this season but I can easily see myself not going, I'm in no rush to return despite some good investment. Some great memories though, especially away games but Morgan killed the passion for me. I loved the 90s, I don't care what anyone says, we failed in the end but at the time it was just a matter of time before we got up and were competing in the top 6, that was a realistic dream.

Date: 11 September, 2016 18:38

Quote:
cedric harper
Eventually they will return,

I doubt it, you cant have ten years like we have just had and expect to return back to emotions felt over a decade ago of passion attending matches again. I think some fans are naive believing as soon as Morgan leaves, fans will jump up and down put the shirt on and get down to molineux again. You wouldn't have love for a partner, have a decade of abuse and then the day it stops return back to feelings felt over ten years ago, sometimes the damage is permanent.

Following wolves isn't logical, its an emotional passion that once damaged isn't reparable no matter what the level of investment is. The fanbase may pick up eventually, but will probably take years with a new generation coming through and suspect the last ten years have effectively lost thousands of fans forever. If we cant get fans in after the best transfer window in the clubs history with record signings, new manager, new owners I think the writing is on the wall for the forseeable future.

Posted by: Bradmore Wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2016 19:51

But 22k is about 7k more than it would have been if things had stayed the same so quite an achievement really.

Date: 11 September, 2016 20:11

Quote:
Bradmore Wolf
But 22k is about 7k more than it would have been if things had stayed the same so quite an achievement really.

Not the point though is it, the thread is talking about lost fans and if we had seen the investment of fosun around 2006 I reckon we would have exceeded 25 k with ease.

Date: 11 September, 2016 23:52

Well we did get 30,000 in league 1 so people will still turn out even after 2 successive relegations.

Towards the end of last season we were getting 18k so already attendances are improving.

Date: 12 September, 2016 00:33

Our average attendance that season was 20,879 Bradmore , our average last season was 20,157. The season before Morgan came our average attendance was 23,624. You cant use one game played in the sun against Rotheram where we were presented with a trophy as evidence we were pulling in 30 k even after 2 successful relegations.

Posted by: lawndog (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2016 06:58

"Morgan's Legacy"! An alienated fanbase!

Posted by: Badge32 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2016 07:14

Zenga may have a few fans excited but many still fear what happened with Stale. After 8 games under him we had won 5 drew 1 lost 2 and sat in third. Then it all went wrong. Fans will return yes but i feel only if we go on a good run to see us maintain a spell in the top 6.

Date: 12 September, 2016 08:32

Quote:
an angry wolf
Our average attendance that season was 20,879 Bradmore , our average last season was 20,157. The season before Morgan came our average attendance was 23,624. You cant use one game played in the sun against Rotheram where we were presented with a trophy as evidence we were pulling in 30 k even after 2 successful relegations.

I'm not I'm just saying the fans are still around to be won back. Also some of the loss of fans has already been reversed.

Last season was the worst for entertainment since Hoddle so I can understand people wanting a break god knows I could barely drag myself there some matches, but the attendance on Saturday was roughly 10% higher than the Reading game so maybe it's on an upward trend again especially with some big home game to come an average of 23k is possible.

Date: 12 September, 2016 09:42

Yes but if we continue to play as poor as we did in our last two home games against Ipswich and Burton then fans will stay away. Had Kenny still been in charge for those two games there would have been booing and calls for his head instead of the continued show of support for Zenga. I really hope he can make them play like they did against Reading and Birmingham on a more regular basis.

Date: 12 September, 2016 09:55

Another problem of course is the horrendous design of the north bank with it being half empty even when apparently "sold out" with hundreds of seats having restricted views. How any stand can be designed, sell tickets only for someone to say .. hang on I cant see the pitch" subsequently meaning cordoning off vast section beggars belief. I suppose we should be grateful the seats are facing the right way and we are left with goal posts .

Date: 12 September, 2016 10:11

Capacity is listed at over 31,000 yet when I went for my tickets for Burton they struggled to find me 2 seats together. yet there was over 9,000 empty seats.

Posted by: Arthur Tannen (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2016 10:21

Quote:
Badge32
Zenga may have a few fans excited but many still fear what happened with Stale. After 8 games under him we had won 5 drew 1 lost 2 and sat in third. Then it all went wrong. Fans will return yes but i feel only if we go on a good run to see us maintain a spell in the top 6.

Zenga looks like he could be a one trick pony to me, constantly screaming, running around the technical area, everything done at 100mph. The players probably get behind it initially and I'd imagine training is a bit mental but after a while it wears off and they get fed up of it. That's probably the reason he's had nearly a average of 1 club a year for the last 20. The manager is another reason the fans will return, if we are playing good football and winning, it will get some interested again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2016 10:22 by Arthur Tannen.

Posted by: chicagowolf (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2016 16:16

The numbers of fans increases with success, and hopefully, entertaining football, but the fans are often new ones.
A typical pattern is that youngsters start attending and gradually getting season tickets, a proportion going to away games. As the years progress some get other commitments, families etc which makes the numbers drop. The total attendance can still of course go up if there are fewer of them leaving than starting. Apologies for the 'no-5hit Sherlock' lecture but it can be true that attendances can increase even if many jaded fans (and there are plenty of those at the moment) never return.
It looks highly likely that, with or without Walter Z, Wolves might be moving into a new era of success. Hope so anyway; and it might take a while.

Posted by: Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2016 12:38

I think crowds will go up when fans see an interest and sustained (and tangible) plan for the club. Naturally results will be the most. Important thing - but fan 'connection' will surely be a factor. There's a lot of apathy to overcome and turn many of us from occasional attenders into regular fans or STH renewals.

As for me, I don't ever see myself getting a ST again, but there again there are multiple factors for me, geography being just one.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2016 15:55 by Ivybridge Wolf.

Posted by: wilkowolves (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2016 17:49

One of the main reasons as to why the crowds have fallen is due to less season tickets being sold. I wouldn't be surprised if the individual match day sales are pretty similar what they have been for a long time. As most of you rightly say the biggest factor to get increased crowds is results on the pitch and even then it might take some time. For example in Glen Hoddles only full season in charge (05/06) we averaged over 23k, yet the following season (06/07) when McCarthy was in charge the average gate dropped to less than 21k, despite finishing in the play offs and playing a more exciting brand of football.

Posted by: shay68 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2016 14:46

I guess I'm a lost fan. Season ticket holder for the last 12 years but did not renew this time round. Decided to pick my games with a view to buying a half season ticket at Christmas if things improve. However, I Went to my first game on Tuesday night V Barnsley. (Sm105). We are worse than ever!

Posted by: oldngold (IP Logged)
Date: 29 October, 2016 19:30

My memory gets hazy these days but I recall attendance falling to less than 6000 in the mid 80s. The damage and destruction wrought on the club at various periods from the 64/65 season through to the final collapse under the Bhattis twenty years later can never be worse.

Besides the attendances began noticeable declines in the early 60s after over a decade of unprecedented success in the 1950s. By the 1970s, most men, my own father included, simply had other stuff to do on Saturday afternoon. However, he kept going back several times per season every season of and off for decades.

I was at Molineux in the 60s and 70s when we had 55000 for FA Cup games one week and then 18,000 for a mid week game the next. Of course in those days big teams would bring 15,000 supporters to Wolves. But there were great variations in crowds over time that went up and down.

After all these years of ups and calamitous downs, that we can still get over 22,000 in the Championship shows a strong and fan base.

The other point is potential. Always a tricky and contentious subject. Wolves have a strong and saleable brand, that is simply a fact and will never go away.

For a number of reasons, perhaps somewhat undeserved, the club do have an iconic image and are known throughout the world in a way many more successful clubs are not. And as with any business if that is managed correctly then significant and lucrative support is possible.

I don't think we should worry about the fan base. There is one thing the owners have to get right. They have to select the right management who can get it right on the pitch. Do that and everything else will take care of itself.

And there isn't a need for long term plans and development. They need to get it right and RIGHT now.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net