Leeds United, the South Bonk last stand and a miracle cure
Posted by: Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 21 November, 2017 13:31

Leeds are back at Molineux tomorrow and despite some inconsistent form, I’m sure they will provide a real test for us. It’ll be a big crowd but no complacency etc!

This fixture always reminds me of last time I stood on the South Bank which was on March 31st 1990 – Wolves versus Leeds United. Leeds were riding high, pushing for and eventually getting promotion with Vinnie Jones, Strachan, Mervyn Day, Speed, Sterland, Batty, Varadie, Fairclough – even Chris Kamara – plus others doing it the ‘Howards Way’ as my mate used to say.

We won the match 1-0, a goal from Mutchy, which left myself, my uncle and cousin ecstatic and my mate (a Leeds fan who kept quiet in with us) extremely grumpy.

The match was inter-sprinkled with some ‘interesting’ behaviour from both Wolves and Leeds brethren on both sides of the dividing fences, including a large number of Leeds supporters ‘guided’ out of the Wolves section by the bobbies. Nothing however, could have prepared for what I witnessed after the final whistle – a miracle cure.

My uncle was crippled at the time with osteoarthritis. He could hardly walk and when he did he just seized up. He attended Molineux a lot but on this occasion, all the ‘New Stand’ tickets had gone – only the Bonk left. He reluctantly agreed to make one more visit to the terrace. He always got excited at matches, however even all the adrenaline of a fine victory versus dirty Leeds failed to have effect. The final whistle went, and he was as stiff as a board – couldn’t move. He demanded, not unreasonably, to stay put for 5 minutes to ‘get himself going’ and we stood in a sort of triangular shape, about 15 yards from the great Bonk divide, Leeds fans on our right as the happy Wanderers filtered out – we became slightly exposed and motionless.

With that, a Molineux brick - from the direction of the Leeds fans – perfectly bisected the heads of our huddled group of four. Truly a whisker away. My cousin, my Leeds mate and me all looked up at the Leeds fans aghast to assess the situation, more bricks on their way, then immediately switched our attention of how to get my disabled uncle – and ourselves – out of the firing line and safe. Well, we needn’t have worried, because as we looked around my uncle was charging under his own steam, flying on foot down the terrace towards the turn style entrance next to the Waterloo Road stand! He was out of the ground like a rat up a drainpipe.

Now I am a man of science and have worked in health for 29 years. I’ve seen many types of treatment, however I have rarely seen such an immediate cure for such a chronic and debilitating condition - Surely as suggested, the miracle cure?!!

Oh, how we loffed!!

Molineux bricks on prescription anyone? I jest of course – we managed to avoid all of the falling debris - just!!

Up the Wolves and all the best to the lads on Wednesday night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/11/2017 13:47 by Ivybridge Wolf.

Re: Leeds United, the South Bonk last stand and a miracle cure
Posted by: chicagowolf (IP Logged)
Date: 21 November, 2017 14:34

That is quite a tale; how was he afterwards?
For many of us more 'mature' followers the name Leeds still has a tinge of fear about it. How mighty they were for so long and you can still imagine an ugly scoreline from tonight's game. But you have to believe that despite their Cloggy form of late, we should be able to put them to the sword! 2-1 maybe

Re: Leeds United, the South Bonk last stand and a miracle cure
Posted by: Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 21 November, 2017 14:53

Got onto Waterloo Road, stopped for a breather and he seized up again - but in relative safety. Cure for sure but perhaps a little short lived? We got back to the car parked in the West Park eventually. Scary stuff overall but all true!

It was a great match though and beating that excellent Leeds side was quite a feat - a team short of Cantona that won the last first division title - I forgot to mention Lee Chapman was in the side too.

I fancy us for a win tomorrow too and then only 3 more sleeps and I'll be up at Molineux this saturday v Notlob.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net