Promotion chances .... your choice!
Posted by: Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 26 February, 2018 14:21

Well, it's all up for grabs again - or seemingly so. Those with a nervous disposition will starting to get the jitters just now, and I can't say I'm absolutely 100% calm, though as I said elsewhere, following a blip, best us draw inspiration from our 2009 experience rathen than the more quoted 2002.

Got to say that I still really believe we've be OK but nothing is a given and we deperately need that little something lost over the last number of performances. Personally I don't think it's just down to the absence of Neves, it's been there for a little while and I'd love to see the Doc and Douglas blasting down the wings again, confident finishes (or just efforts on goal) from the front line and also Costa keeping upright under a challenge! Passing, usually so accurate, seemed to be well wide of the mark on Saturday too, right from the off, not just the second half. Who knows Afobe might even score a goal.

Anyway, don't forget we're on 73 points, so a less than earth shattering return of only 1.5 points per match over the last 12 will see us up!

For those sweating, this link will put your mind at rest Champ predictor and my analysis is consistent with my beliefs - we'll get there! I am not being complacent, not in my nature, but a good team (and we are good) won't lie low for long ......... just hope Brentford and others have their shooting boots on for the 3pm kick offs this saturday to smooth any wrinkles on furrowed brows!

UTW

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2018 14:22 by Ivybridge Wolf.

Re: Promotion chances .... your choice!
Posted by: Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
Date: 26 February, 2018 15:06

We have done well so far but the team and the tactics rarely change which has given some advantage to the opposition who can, with a degree of certainty, set themselves up to best meet our challenge.

Posted by: Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
Date: 26 February, 2018 20:33

There is no doubt that Saturday's match against Fulham was bad, although Fulham are bang in form. Before that we had lost only one game in the previous 18 in the league. Granted the match against Norwich wasn't very inspiring either but even then we only conceded the equalizer in the last few seconds. Previous to that I thought the draw at Preston was a decent result. They are fighting for a play-off place and gave us an almighty scare at Molineux earlier in the season so I think that this dip in form is only over the last two games and I don't think two games can be called a blip or whatever we want to call it.
Obviously if it continues much longer that will be different but, right now, although not as confident as I was, I am still thinking we will be alright.

Posted by: irishwolf (IP Logged)
Date: 27 February, 2018 00:42

I think our recent results are a mixture between a dip in form and a touch of complacency summed up by the Norwich comeback.
I am sure we will go up and if it comes in the form of finishing second so be it.
However next year we will have to learn to put teams away when we have them on the ropes.

Posted by: Cheshire wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 27 February, 2018 16:40

I've been wondering how Nuno could change tactics in order to confuse our opponents, and I don't really think there's a great deal of options. I've consdered whether Afobe should be given a start up front with Cavaleiro - who is in superb form - and Jota, but other than that I think the options are limited. We don't - as far as I know - have any recognised wingers in the squad, so it seems like the 3-5-2-1 or 3-5-3 approach is the only real choice.

I don't see Enobakhare getting another bite of the cherry, and to be honest I thought Bonatini really struggled to command a space or a position on Saturday. Costa is good in fits and starts, but then still doesn't seem to have the confidence to shoot when the chance arises. I would like to see Morgan Gibbs-White get his chance as I think he show real promise,l and on Saturday's showing I think he could replace Saiss.

Posted by: chicagowolf (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2018 15:07

Some of the most dangerous words in the world are This Time Is Different. Ask any investor, or someone getting married for the umpteenth time.
However with Wolves the shadow of 2002 always looms large, and our collapse. Not this time and for many reasons. We have a much stronger, deeper team. But more importantly we are way ahead - six points higher - than we were with twelve matches to go back then. In the run in we got nineteen points from the last twelve; if we 'collapse' in similar fashion this time we will be on 92 points (and probably champions, but certainly promoted). We will do better than that.
It would be nice , as we swap places with the Baggies, to do it in style, and early so we can plan.

Posted by: oldngold (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2018 19:56

About as good as they can be. 94 points secures automatic promotion.

12 points from 8 games with 4 at home. Quite simply if we cannot close that out then as the old saying goes you don't deserve to go up. Although I think we'd win in the playoffs if we needed to. At full strength with our support I would back us in a big game at Wembley.

When we get it right we can still be a very formidable club to face. There was a reason we were once great.

Posted by: chicagowolf (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2018 23:14

Two things.
First, hardly anyone who deserves to win the playoffs ever does so. It is a one in four lottery.
Second, we are going up as champs. It would not surprise me if Cardiff beat us and are thus the one team to get the double in this majestic season, but they will still be second..
Middlesbrough, Derby, villa, Fulham? Let them scratch each other’s eyes out . Not us. Not this time

Posted by: Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2018 07:33

Just redone the Birmingham Mail predictor, we still finish top with Cardiff second. grinning smiley
Must be true then!
I remain confident, not cocky! Exciting times.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Posted by: Julius Cesar Wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2018 13:24

I agree regarding the Playoff lottery,Chicago.
This year though I am expecting Boro to prevail.
A Pulis team that is clicking over two legs is a tough task.
Getting into the final full of confidence after a long period of good results under Pulis.

Boro to me seems favourites.

I am a lousy football punter I might add..:-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net