Current Page: 1 of 2
Moving on
Posted by: Jilted (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2017 18:25

How would you lads feel if Burnley moved too a new stadium?
Spurs are staying virtually put, but other teams have built new grounds miles away from their spiritual home.
At the end of the day we are only mere mortals moving through time, so it's really up to the kids where they will want to watch the game, ( maybe from their bedroom on some 3 dimensional telly).
My team have said they want to move to the edge of town to some fancy stadium, fair play to them but I won't be buying a season ticket if they do.
Our ground is pretty central with a number of ale houses in the area, stick our ground out of town and they can stick my season ticket up their ....
Maybe I'm old fashioned but there is more to fitba than money, it's the heritage and what my forefathers brought forth.

Re: Moving on
Posted by: Alfie (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2017 18:53

I would hate it if the Clarets moved to a new ground,although I very rarely attend nowadays it wouldn't be the same for me..The turf is a couple of minutes walk away from the centre of Burney in a great position,it's one of the very few old grounds that still exist in the premier league,most of the away teams(you want to see the away teams changing rooms,a bit like going back to the sixties,these Softee millionaires hate it lol ) and their fans hate coming to the turf because of the intimidating atmosphere that exists inside the ground .. It's like having another player when the crowd get behind the team.. Having said that it could be improved by altering certain aspects of the ground ..I took my grandchildren from down south on a tour At Easter and they thought it was absolutely brilliant,(do did I )

Posted by: Ricky_80 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2017 20:50

I watch non league clubs but if i supported a pro club it would be strange to change ground i guess.

Date: 14 May, 2017 21:05

Quote:
Ricky_80
I watch non league clubs but if i supported a pro club it would be strange to change ground i guess.

Who do you watch Ricky,? I used to watch Nelson into the Lancs combination many many moons ago..

Date: 15 May, 2017 06:54

I remember terracing when fans used to change ends at halftime (but there were a few punch ups), so they brought in bench seating and put fences up between the fans, now we have built new stands behind both goals so Dens has changed. The ground is easy to get to if you're an away fan and have come on public transport as its close to the city centre and there are plenty of pubs in the neighbourhood, (didn't have a beer Saturday as it had been raining and me mate took his car, picked me up and dropped me off, what a @#$%& of a mate(Sm6)).
There is talk of some grounds bringing in 'safe standing' areas, (don't think I could be ersed standing these days), but I don't think I'll ever see both sets of supporters mingling again.

Posted by: soapylily (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2017 08:46

I cannot imagine much worse than moving from one of only 3 (I think) original sites still played on by the top clubs. I would love to see the extra tire put on the Bob Lord though and the corners developed to enclose the ground a bit more like when you could walk from the Longside to the Bee Hole End.

Date: 15 May, 2017 09:53

Anfield, Goodison, old Trafford, Selhurst, Stamford Bridge, Hawthorns, Vicarage Road, White Hart Lane, think Bournemouth play at their old ground but changed its name. Think they are all original sites, oh and Turf Moor.
Spurs moving a couple of yards, Everton to move, Chelsea wanting to move.
Most old grounds have changed dramatically after the Taylor Report, so is moving stadium such a big deal? The problem I have, is moving grounds miles away to edge of town sites, it's not good for the local economy imo. What about this renaming of grounds malarkey?

Posted by: fred dibnah (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2017 18:30

I cant ever contemplate moving. It'll never happen, unless we somehow become an established top 6 club and need to accommodate an extra 10k tourist/glory fans.

Date: 15 May, 2017 20:39

Only Anfield Stamford Bridge and St James' Park - did we really once play at Calder Vale? although that's when they were a rugby club and they moved to the Turf in 1882.

[www.theguardian.com]

Date: 15 May, 2017 21:52

Anfield was home to Everton in 1884, Liverpool moved in 1892.
Man Utd played at Maine Road 1941-49 due to bomb damage.
Is there not some one on here who writes books? Could be an interesting read the history of football grounds.

Posted by: Shanghaiclaret (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2017 01:52

I played at Calder Vale a few times. Glad we moved from there. Talk about mud. It was a bog.

Prediction League Champion 2007-2008

Date: 16 May, 2017 20:51

Great video of white hart lane:
[www.bbc.com]
What really surprised me is the vision to have done so much work on the new stadium while playing on at the Lane.

Date: 16 May, 2017 21:12

It's amazing what they can do these days, changed from the days of a draughtsman sitting down with paper drawings and a scale rule and a man on site with a tape measure and theodolite. Satellite maps, 3D computer software, gps and laser levels nowadays. The measurements are that accurate today that parts for construction can be premade anywhere in the world and delivered to the doorstep bang on time for fitting, it's only when it's a government project things go Pete Tong and the original estimate is only a fraction of final costs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2017 21:13 by Jilted.

Date: 17 May, 2017 08:06

Pete Tong = Wrong ..

Date: 17 May, 2017 12:26

Quote:
Alfie
Pete Tong = Wrong ..
Ah i see. Cockney rhyming slang.

Date: 17 May, 2017 15:10

Quote:
Ricky_80
Quote:
Alfie
Pete Tong = Wrong ..
Ah i see. Cockney rhyming slang.

Yep,also a good film named after the phrase about a DJ (Peter Kaye) who has a few setbacks ..

Date: 17 May, 2017 15:59

NURSE!!!

Posted by: AfloatinClaret (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2017 16:22

Quote:
Jilted
...changed from the days of a draughtsman...measurements are that accurate today that parts for construction can be premade anywhere in the world and delivered to the doorstep bang on time for fitting, it's only when it's a government project things go Pete Tong...

Oh that that were true; yes we've got plenty of computers/lasers/gps-surveying, but artificial intelligence is still no match for natural stupidity.

Date: 17 May, 2017 16:39

As you have just shown.

Date: 17 May, 2017 16:57

I like Peter Kay in car share.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net