Re: Who is the Greatest Post-WW2 Clarets Left back?
Posted by: soapylily (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2017 11:34

Another illustrious list. It makes life difficult but shows how lucky we fans are!

For me it has to be Alex Elder with Keith newton a very close second and then ben Mee, though I wish I had seen Harry Mather who was clearly very consistent.

Harry Mather 329 games
Doug Winton 198 games
Tommy Cummings 479 games including 7 at left back at the start of the great 59-60 season!
Alex Elder 330
Les Latcham 184 games
Keith newton 253 games
Ian brennan 212 games
Peter Hampton 134 games
Joe Jakub 255 games
Graham di branchio
Mo camara 102 games
ben Mee 181 and counting
Stephen Ward 81 and counting

plus Wharton, donachie, Deakin, Farrell Thomson

Posted by: NJMcWilliam (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2017 13:07

Alex Elder for me - but did see him score a great own goal from almost the corner flag...Blacklaw had rolled the ball to him and was looking up field, Alex got closed down and banged it back in the direction of where he though Adam SHOULD HAVE BEEN.....but wasn't!!
I saw quite a bit of Les Latcham in the reserves - good, but not great

Posted by: Alfie (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2017 16:53

Quote:
NJMcWilliam
Alex Elder for me - but did see him score a great own goal from almost the corner flag...Blacklaw had rolled the ball to him and was looking up field, Alex got closed down and banged it back in the direction of where he though Adam SHOULD HAVE BEEN.....but wasn't!!
I saw quite a bit of Les Latcham in the reserves - good, but not great

Wasn't that when we were 3-0 up ageinst the Bastids in the quarter finals of the cup and Rovers drew 3-3 then won the replay 2-0 ..I was at that match and still have nightmares over it..

Posted by: NJMcWilliam (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2017 19:11

Versus Leeds 1964/5 I think.
Rovers game, their 3 late goals all scored by Rovers players. Douglas from the spot, Peter Dobing and I can't remember the 3rd. Biggest gate that I was ever a part of ... over 50,000 on the Turf

Posted by: Alfie (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2017 19:53

Quote:
NJMcWilliam
Versus Leeds 1964/5 I think.
Rovers game, their 3 late goals all scored by Rovers players. Douglas from the spot, Peter Dobing and I can't remember the 3rd. Biggest gate that I was ever a part of ... over 50,000 on the Turf

Yes,you are right,it was a penalty not an own goal..At least they gota hammering at Wembley NJ...lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net