Poll: Should there be a spending cap?
Posted by: Jilted (IP Logged)
Date: 27 December, 2017 22:33

Witn Mourinho saying £300m isn’t enough dosh to spend and Jamie Carragher saying some clubs are becoming unplayable due to the strength of their squads. Is it time to cap how much clubs can spend each season on players?

Yes
No
Don’t know

You must be logged in to vote.

3 Votes

Show results

Will the EPL become a victim of its own success?
Is it’s competitiveness in decline?

Thought it was a bit starange Carragher bringing it up at the moment when you look at Burnley taking points off some of the top clubs. The top six are well, the top six, but look at Leicester a couple of seasons ago. Watford, Huddersfield and Brighton are putting up a good fight, although there are only 8 points max between all three and a relegation spot (but that’s what I call competition).

Liverpool about to buy van Dijk for £75m, crazy money, but I’m sure Southampton will enjoy the £62m profit, although they will have to spend some on a replacement.

Re: Poll: Should there be a spending cap?
Date: 29 December, 2017 11:43

100% yes so farsmiling smiley

Posted by: Alfie (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2017 13:13

Still 100%..

Posted by: So_Cal_Claret (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2017 15:34

I think a salary cap might more effective.

Date: 29 December, 2017 20:00

So what happens in the capitalist world if the EPL puts on a cap?
Big names move elsewhere?
Sky makes less tax money for the UK?

English football might become more competitive, but will the global market pay to watch?

Posted by: So_Cal_Claret (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2017 20:30

Most of the major sports leagues over here in the States have a salary cap - and the world hasn't ended.

They all use a "draft" to try and even the playing field. Worst team gets first pick of young talent. I think it is effective (unless you are the Cleveland Browns) but don't see anyway such a thing could be implemented in English, or European football.

Date: 29 December, 2017 20:57

If you stifle the EPL, then the big money boys move else where, may make for a more even playing field, but the lost revenue and lost taxes would be horrendous.
But the status quo opif allowed to continue will implode eventually, it will be down to the number crunchers to make the big decisions, and as per us plebs will live off the crumbs as we are fick.

Posted by: soapylily (IP Logged)
Date: 30 December, 2017 06:55

You would not have a spending cap under EU regs. Another reason I voted to leave. Strangely enough an independent sovereign nation like Australia (or the USofA) can have spending and salary caps.

Date: 30 December, 2017 10:23

The only way a spending or wage cap will work is on a global basis, if you restrict spending in one place, players will just move elsewhere. Why play in a england for £20k a week if you can get £50k in China.
Not sure why the EU can’t bring in a European spending cap???

Switzerland wanted to bring in free money for all their citizens to combat job loses due to automation, but the bill was defeated as they feared mass immigration, the only way their policy could work is if it were done through out Europe.
#unitedwestand-dividedwefall

Posted by: fulledgelad (IP Logged)
Date: 31 December, 2017 02:46

Quote:
the bill was defeated as they feared mass immigration,

Racists

Lest We Forget:
http://i25.tinypic.com/6rkd5g.jpg

Posted by: soapylily (IP Logged)
Date: 31 December, 2017 09:27

Quote:
fulledgelad
Quote:

Racists

One person's racist is another's patriot...

Date: 31 December, 2017 11:20

Quote:
fulledgelad
Quote:

Racists

I’d call them scaredy cats, just like Brexiteers, scared for their economy.
They will see more and more of their fellow countrymen sink into poverty then one day they will find themselves in the same boat with no one to throw them a lifeline. They should be fighting the divide and conquer capitalist system before they too become a victim.
Pathetic rather than patriotic, but I don’t blame them for being scared of capitalism.

Date: 06 January, 2018 17:10

Looks like Coutinho is off to Barcelona for £142,000,000 eye popping smiley

Date: 06 January, 2018 17:37

He's probably fed up of Bindipping for his dinner..

Date: 24 January, 2018 16:00

EUFA are considering capping agent fees.
Rumours say Sanchez’s agent received between £10m-£15m, with Sánchez receiving a £20m signing on fee, £400k a week wages plus bonuses and image rights. Works out that Sánchez will cost Man U the equivalent of around £600,000 a week in total.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: 24 January, 2018 18:28

Quote:
Jilted
EUFA are considering capping agent fees.
Rumours say Sanchez’s agent received between £10m-£15m, with Sánchez receiving a £20m signing on fee, £400k a week wages plus bonuses and image rights. Works out that Sánchez will cost Man U the equivalent of around £600,000 a week in total.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Just about suns up all that's wrong with football

Date: 30 January, 2018 19:29

Man C splashing the cash again, £57million for Frenhman Laporte and they are also hoping to sign Mahrez from Leicester for £50m. Seemingly Mahrez has handed in a transfer request and hasn’t trained or travelled with the Leicester first team today.
Oh well, fingers crossed my Euro lotto comes up, then I can buy a desert island and escape all this money madness.grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net