Current Page: 2 of 12
Re: Global warming. A myth?
Posted by: Longsiders1882 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2008 09:00

A few thoughts I have on this:

1. Global Warming is clearly happening - no scientist disputes this
2. Our impact on it is open to debate IMHO - though don't say this out loud - people will put you into the square earth category.
3. Regardless of Global Warming we SHOULD consider the impact our actions have on the planet (see PC's post above)
4. Renewable energy and fossil fuel alternatives are really really important because in time (quite soon) these are going to run out. Running out of energy will be more damaging than I think any of us could imagine (again see PC's post above)

Posted by: Braindead (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2008 09:09

My Dad always says that Global Warming and the fact that we are causing it is rubbish - and that we should read our history books for the cause.

The earth has warmed and frozen on a regular basis throughout time and will continue to do so regardless of the measures we take to prevent it.

http://i53.tinypic.com/23rqxe1.gif

Posted by: bedfords (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2008 09:43

Agree with most of this but without sounding like a greenie, it scares the life out of me us pumping@#$%&into the atmosphere, killing ecosystems and burying all our rubbish under the ground we live on.

That said, my idea of recycling is taking my empty pint glass to the bar for a refill.

http://www.cricket.co.uk/shared/images/teams/yorkshire_logo.gif http://www.claretsdirect.com/sites/BURNLEY/images/Products/LES196A____B.jpg

Posted by: bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2008 09:49

Quote:
Renewable energy and fossil fuel alternatives are really really important

I agree, but I doubt the current mad rush to create windfarms all over the place is the answer and seems more driven by the profit motive to me than by any concern for the environment. Opposition to them is being drowned out here in France as well as in England. The latest apologist for them over here has said that France should get on with building them because, even if they don't prove to be the answer, it's not a problem to halt and dismantle them, all that would be lost was the money spent on them.

Sounds very much like someone aiming to make a huge profit from developing them to me. He also failed to explain what would fill the energy gap when you found the turbines weren't up to the job and you had to find an alternative energy source. You can't get a Nuclear Power Station up and running overnight.

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

Posted by: Shanghaiclaret (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2008 09:52

Is this the largest piece of bait ever thrown over the longside bow?

Yes I think it is.

Posted by: CheshireExile (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2008 09:53

Windfarms don't work. They don't create enough energy, are unreliable, a blot on the landscape and the economics are a joke. Don't be suckered by the hype- "global warming" is just another stick to beat us with.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2h5m9fa.jpg

Date: 19 February, 2008 09:56

In a jokey way bedfords I do think you highlight part of the issue.

Now when I were a lad, liquids came in glass bottles and everyone of them had a deposit back. Pop, beer the lot (other than milk - which was delivered by the milk man in a very eco friendly idea of he took empties away, left full ones and then reused the empties). This meant nearly all bottles were returned to be reused.

One simple measure could be to make it a legal requirement that all packaging is re-usable and carries a deposit. You'd better believe most of it would end up back at the shops.

Agree on the wind farms BC and I find it quite astonishing that we are now learning that in many respects Nuclear is the greener option. It is time every house was looking to generate most or all of their own energy needs

Posted by: bedfords (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2008 10:13

Packaging these days is sickening. A major gripe and something that could be addressed quite easily I guess.

http://www.cricket.co.uk/shared/images/teams/yorkshire_logo.gif http://www.claretsdirect.com/sites/BURNLEY/images/Products/LES196A____B.jpg

Posted by: darwen claret (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2008 19:53

The earth is gradually getting warmer but its only now were its beginning to see the effects. The warming is not down to man but its a cycle the earth has been going through for millions of years.The government is using global warming as an excuse to raise billions through tax etc The amount of jobs global warming research has created is millions all over the world. The amount of money generated is billions all across the world. I watched a similar program last year what opened my eyes to it. In the 70's it was all over the news that world was going back arctic conditions cause the winters was so cold!!

Posted by: ClanClaret (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2008 20:22

Global warming. Kerfuffle. you-luvvies An Eruption the size of { krakatoa 19th century} over one week can send the EARTH,into a deep freeze, for two hundred years. which it did.(Sm63)

Posted by: The Collector (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2008 11:37

I wonder how much is being spent globally on the issue of getting us all to change?

Our Govt alone, are spending untold millions. I was reading about The Carbon Trust which was set up to help organisations reduce their carbon emissions & the Government to meet its carbon reduction targets.

Despite calling itself a private company, virtually all the Carbon Trust's funding comes from the Government! at a cost in excess of Ł100 million per year... Ł12m of which, is for marketing alone!

.http://i11.tinypic.com/6t1cg47.jpg
I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

Posted by: PlymouthClaret (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2008 12:56

Carbon Dioxide is a harmless gas. We could all stop our emissions and it would make no difference.

When we talk about using cleaner fuels, we shouldn't be thinking about Carbon Dioxide but other harmful carcinogenic gases. It's not Carbon Dioxide that's made China smoggy but all the other chemicals. This should be our priority to tackle these emissions IMO.

Truth is, I thought it mattered. I thought that music mattered. But does it bollocks. Not compared to how people matter.

Posted by: The Collector (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2008 13:00

Ah but the Chemical industries wouldn't support the govt with crazy policies like that. PC. grinning smiley

.http://i11.tinypic.com/6t1cg47.jpg
I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

Date: 27 March, 2008 13:13

They are all by-products though. That's why cars have catalytic converters. If we tackled these emissions effectively, the air would be cleaner leading to greater health benefits.

Worrying about Carbon Dioxides role in the greenhouse effect is just sidetracking.

Any gas in the atmosphere has specific properties relating to how it behaves with incoming radiation from the sun or outgoing radiation from earth. Carbon Dioxide is one of many "greenhouse gases" which reflect outgoing radiation back to earth. They may not be as abundant at Carbon Dioxide but have a much stronger effect.

The most abundant green house gas is water (vapour), are we going to ban that?

Truth is, I thought it mattered. I thought that music mattered. But does it bollocks. Not compared to how people matter.

Posted by: handprinz (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2008 15:34

I think the Global Warming theory (and that's what it is) needs some proving. I accept that we are experiencing worldwide climatic changes at the moment, but the world goes through cyclical changes like this every several thousand years. They are not therefore all man made, far from it.

As for bio-diversity, biggest joke since our goalkeeping crisis that one; it simply isn't sustainable to grow our way out of the fossil fuel shortage. The world will have a stark choice to make in a few years time given the continuing population explosion - grow crops to feed ourselves or grow and drive.

There isn't the land available in the entire world that would be needed to grow crops such as rape seed to be converted into bio-diesel. And the thing is, the oil giants and Governments of the world know this only too well.

Posted by: joegbfc (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2008 21:38

Global warming if it is caused by man made carbon dioxide could be halted if all the greens commited suicide on mass thus reducing co2, because as far as I can remember from School we breath oxygen in and co2 out.
But they won't they will just encourage the rest of us to cycle whilst they fly around the world to climate change conferences.
Carbon Dioxide.the new public enemy number one.

Date: 02 May, 2008 13:19

I'd forgotten this one TC, the article I linked is from the end of last year where increasing numbers of scientists are questioning the ascertations of some (notable Gore) that the debate is over and we have a scientific consensus.

Washington Post

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

O/T Global Warming - The Really inconvenient truth
Date: 02 May, 2008 12:55

is that Al Gore is involved in the carbon offset business (that acheive nothing) AND that scientific opinion that is is balls is growing (be interested in PC's view on this as well)

Global Warming - Its a tax con I tell ya

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

Re: O/T Global Warming - The Really inconvenient truth
Date: 02 May, 2008 13:00

Climatology is just statistics and we all know all about statistics.

Re: O/T Global Warming - The Really inconvenient truth
Posted by: ManHug (IP Logged)
Date: 02 May, 2008 13:01

PC we need to see more of you on here, you only crop up when geography is being discussed.

I like you.

Current Page: 2 of 12
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net