Player Ratings vs. BATE
Posted by: MattySadler (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2017 19:02

Ospina - 7. Couldn't have done much more about BATE's goals, and made a couple of good stops.

Mustafi - 5. Looked sluggish. Got skinned too often and dives in too often.
Mertesacker - 5. Never looked comfortable. Could've done better on the second.
Holding - 5.5 Scored his first goal but looked shaky throughout. Low on confidence.

Nelson - 6.5. Looked good on the ball and handy going forward but wasn't great defensively.
Elneny - 6.5. Steady enough in possession but does little else.
Willock - 8. Looked powerful, dominant and strong in challenges. I'm impressed.
Maitland-Niles - 6.5. Got up and down the left, but isn't a left sided player and it shows.

Walcott - 7. Scored twice and got a pre-assist (corner) but also offside a lot, over hit some free kicks, and decision making wasn't great.
Giroud - 7. Played some good one-twos and scored his 100th goal. Led the line well.
Wilshere - 8. First half was special. Not as influential in the second half.

Subs:

McGuane - N/A. Not on long but did find Walcott with a good ball.
Nketiah - N/A. Not on long.

Funny game. We got off to a great start, finding ourselves 3-0 up within 25 minutes, but we were very open defensively and looked disorganised throughout, allowing BATE to get into the game. It finished 4-2 but could've easily been about 8-5.

Positives: Wilshere had a great first half, Willock was powerful and dominant throughout, Giroud scored his 100th Arsenal goal, McGuane and Nketiah made their professional debuts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 30/09/2017 22:19 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. BATE
Date: 28 September, 2017 19:04

Would've been good to see Charlie Gilmour get on. Making his U23 and senior debut in the same week would've been some achievement.

Date: 28 September, 2017 19:17

Joe Willock vs. BATE:

91% pass accuracy
47 passes
4 tackles won
3 interceptions
3 take-ons
1 shot.

Posted by: Bergmars (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2017 19:53

The youngsters did us proud it's the dick on the bench that's at fault.

A shadow of what we were

Posted by: Sanogone (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2017 22:40

I'm not sure what to think after that.
Wilshire was class but the defending was awful, Walcott scored 2 but was still the worst player on the pitch.

Ospina needs to be dropped come the knock out stages,
that's one thing I definitely know for sure, the defense doesn't look confident when he plays. He made routine saves tonight and I think he's too small.

Date: 29 September, 2017 05:02

Not sure how much you can blame Ospina on some prettt rotten individual performances, bur agree he isn't a long term answer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/09/2017 05:03 by MattySadler.

Posted by: Padre Pio (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2017 07:12

I thought Ospina flapped at bot goals and should have done better

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Date: 29 September, 2017 07:58

Can't recall his actions on the first one without watching again but I thought on the second he made a point blank save and then someone just smashed in the rebound?

Posted by: litmus (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2017 08:08

Ospina - 5. Thought that a better keeper could have save their first goal. Either positioning was wrong or too small. Still not convinced by him, and I dont think the defense are too. Nothing great about his saves.

Mustafi - 6. Thought he did okay and distributed the ball well out of the defense.
Mertesacker - 5. For a big man, I thought he lacked presence. Did just okay.
Holding 4 - He does look a bit jittery. He needs to snap out of his slump or he is gonna go downhill. Didn't know much about his goal although almost scored another. I think he is feeling the pressure of performing for a big club.

Nelson - 6. Looked good in possession and great touches and skills, but too many backwards passes back to the defense for my liking. Maybe he was scared to lose the ball. Needs to build up strength and acceleration and then will be a top player.
Elneny - 5. Does what Elneny does. Reminds me of a conveyor belt that does exactly the same thing for 2 hours. On the plus side, he is solid enough to not do stupid things. Kept it ticking. Good workrate, but needs to offer more.
Willock - 6. Hot and cold throughout the game. some good moments. Did well for a youngster.
Maitland-Niles - 6.5. Solid defensively and even going forward even playing out of position. Not a left wingback but did quite well against seasoned players. Hasn't dissapoint every time he plays so far.

Wilshere - 8. Our best player by a mile yesterday. offers us something different. Highly mobile and dynamic. I cringed everytime Bate players come near him. Seemed to be back to his old self, even the old self of sometimes keeping the ball a second too long and inviting tackles, but it takes a lot of confidence to carry the ball like that after all his big injuries. When he was on loan at Bournemouth I thought he got rid of the ball very quickly almost every single time. Look forward to see Jack back in the PL for us. He was also vocal and giving instructions, which is what we need. Leaders.

Walcott - 6.5. Yes, two goals (one a gimme) but very frustrating! We could easily scored 2 more clear goals if he would have passed to Jack and Nelson in front of goal. Jack was left cursing, it was an open goal for him. Maybe was thinking of his hat trick too much. I think the competition for forward roles are making our players greedy - too much to prove. (even Welbeck before he got injured).

Giroud - 6. I felt he was in and out, at times looked like he was disinterested. Good penalty though. Looked particularly "heavy" yesterday.

Subs:

McGuane - not on long
Nketiah - Was brought on a bit too late I thought. Would have liked to see more of him, that burst of pace when he breezed past 2 players and got into the penalty box was impressive.

Within the 90, most of the players blew hot and cold, naive at times, which is to be expected with so many changes and with the youngsters we played with. Nevertheless, a win away in Europe with a "B team" should be celebrated!

Date: 29 September, 2017 08:48

Quote:
litmus
Does what Elneny does. Reminds me of a conveyor belt that does exactly the same thing for 2 hours.

I like that. Very accurate.

Posted by: Padre Pio (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2017 10:39

Quote:
MattySadler
Can't recall his actions on the first one without watching again but I thought on the second he made a point blank save and then someone just smashed in the rebound?

I think its a generational thing, but back in the day if you pushed the ball to the other side who scored we didnt call it a save. The term was gifting a goal to the opposition.
On the first one he should have saved it, he got to the ball but didnt get a proper hand on it, so tipped it in rather than out

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Date: 29 September, 2017 11:03

Ah so maybe being 6ft isn't ideal for a goalkeeper

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net