Did Emery Really Sell 4th Place For Failed Attempt At Cup
Posted by: Arsenal Times (IP Logged)
Date: 22 June, 2019 13:04

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2019 09:39 by Padre Pio.

Re: Did Emery Really Sell 4th Place For Failed Attempt At Cup
Posted by: Merlion96 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2019 00:44

Players always reserved their best for Cup semi and final.
If Napoli had knocked us out, we will most probable be Top-4.

Guess Wenger was lucky to maintain Top-4 for consecutive seasons simply he got lucky and was knocked out of Europe virtually the time by Jan/Feb.

This allows the manager and team to focus on Top-4 with a squad lacking in depth.

'The more things change, the more they remain the same' Alphonse Karr.

Posted by: Padre Pio (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2019 09:56

Well he didnt even that in his last two years but you have a point.
The squad was strong enough in depth even back then

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Posted by: AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2019 22:02

His team selection suggests he sacrificed 4th place for the failed Europa cup attempt. Knowing the mentality of our team from Wenger days, the laid back attitude approach to the league games was bound to creep into Europa games and unfortunately the finals was were it reared its ugly head.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Posted by: celine dion (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2019 19:56

He took a gamble, and it didn't pay off. But it was far closer than people give him credit for in the league, so it was nearly a successful gamble. I still maintain that if he hadn't played Cech in the final then we wouldnt have let in all those goals. that to me was his biggest error, not any team selection up to then.

Posted by: Shane (IP Logged)
Date: 27 June, 2019 17:39

Quote:
But let’s rewind back a bit, a win at Spurs would have almost certainly seen Arsenal get 4th place instead a draw created a mood of pessimism. This is not an attempt to blame Aubameyang, but is anyone suggesting that Emery told him to miss? Of course no one is suggesting that, but it shows the fine line between what the manager wants and what he gets from his players.

I'm not crazy about the ifs, buts and maybes. They're the gateway drugs which lead people to becoming a full-blown De Times. Nobody becomes De Times overnight, not even De Times himself I don't think. It starts out small, writing something like 'Well, if our striker hadn't missed that open goal then we would've won and therefore I'm not blaming the manager and nobody else should either'. Before you know it, you're arguing that Arteta is better than Busquets and writing betting columns. It's a slippery slope to madness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/06/2019 17:43 by Shane.

Posted by: Padre Pio (IP Logged)
Date: 27 June, 2019 22:05

Or this:

One last thought if Emery had played his strongest teams against Palace and Brighton and insisted they give their all and must not think about the cup do we know for sure they would have done that once they got on the pitch. If you believe that you really need to read Dunphy’s book. I suspect, and that’s only speculation, that Emery told them that anyway. I really doubt if he told them to be careful not to risk injury and to play like layabouts to conserve energy, if he did it was probably the only time all season his instructions were followed to the letter.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net