Current Page: 1 of 2
First black player at rovers
Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2017 21:45

Going back many years the first black player in England played for rovers I can't think of his name .i seen him a few times I don't think he stayed to long the thing about him was his massive feet rumour had it he threw the boots away and wore the boxes .any ideas ?.

Re: First black player at rovers
Posted by: Cybertron (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2017 21:57

the only name that rings a bell would be Elkanah Onyeali, but although he was an early black player he was far from being the first,
[pitchinvasion.net]

Posted by: velico (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2017 22:27

I think the first black player in England played for spurs around the time of the first world war.

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2017 23:46

I seen onyeali play 4us don't think he was the ist in England maybe Johannson of Leeds was ist one of note

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2017 00:45

The first black player in England was, from memory, a Malawian who played for Aston Villa around the turn of the 20th century, sometime between 1901 and 1910, but I might be recalling it wrongly.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: HalfManHalfBiscan (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2017 09:26

Great article in Planet Prentonia about Elkanah Onyeali.

Ryan Ferguson who writes these articles is superb....

[planetprentonia.com]

I believe the first black player in English football was Arthur Wharton.

[www.blackhistory4schools.com]

I left my heart in Papworth General

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2017 09:28 by HalfManHalfBiscan.

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2017 10:12

Planetprentonian super article what an amazing young man .my claim to fame was I had seen him play .check the article out very good

Posted by: Temple Road (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2017 13:09

Good Player fast as a hare , not a big lad , but he did play as a central attacker.Not easy to run on. PP in those days pitch always a bit boggy.A lot of toe ending of the heavy case ball.We young lads loved him he was like breath of fresh air.Great article in planetprentonia.com now I know what became of him ,not many lads spent their pocket money on the Birkenhead News when I was a lad.So it was all a bit of a mystery of where he came from and what became of him ,I do remember he didn't play for very long.
Keep the Faith

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2017 14:10

I remember his debut when he scored a brace I think it was against Bournmouth. Mind you he, like Keith williams (earlier thread this week) thrived on superb wing play provided by Eglington and Finney who both had a superb season.

Onyeali only lasted a few months and time keeping and reliability were not one of his strenghts

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2017 14:40

triv question.. Q. who was the first black player to play in an FA cup final?

Posted by: the kav (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2017 19:06

Clyde best?

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2017 20:45

It was for Leeds

Posted by: velico (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2017 21:44

paul reaney

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2017 23:45

Quote:
velico
paul reaney

Good guess but not right.

Date: 04 February, 2017 00:03

It was a good guess with paul reaney but as hoots said its not correct. Leeds is the club though. Pretty sure that paul reaney snubbed england and turned down the chance for playing for them.

Date: 04 February, 2017 01:10

Think I mentioned Johannson hkr thought he was ist black player of note

Date: 04 February, 2017 01:19

Quote:
Loyden1
Think I mentioned Johannson hkr thought he was ist black player of note

Hi loyden, yes its albert johanneson. Played for leeds vs liverpool in the 1965 FA cup final. Sorry, but I hadnt noticed that u had mentioned him in a previous post. Think hoots knew the answer too.

Date: 04 February, 2017 01:25

Quote:
hong kong rover
It was a good guess with paul reaney but as hoots said its not correct. Leeds is the club though. Pretty sure that paul reaney snubbed england and turned down the chance for playing for them.

I might be wrong with reaney snubbing england. It may well have been the other paul at leeds, paul madeley. I am sure that a leeds player turned down the opportunity to play for england in the late 60s/early 70s. Was pretty big news at the time. Does anyone know if it was reaney, madeley or another player?

Date: 04 February, 2017 01:30

Think it was Madeley not 100% by the way onyeali was the 1st black lad we as kids had seen in Birkenhead we used to follow him everywere. He always smiled and waved at us mad eh

Date: 04 February, 2017 01:39

Quote:
Loyden1
Think it was Madeley not 100% by the way onyeali was the 1st black lad we as kids had seen in Birkenhead we used to follow him everywere. He always smiled and waved at us mad eh

Nice one

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net