Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Match Discussion: Forest Green (H)
Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 00:15

Quote:
Higgosboots
It was always a big ask to win 11 on the bounce but the players need to go again as it's a big ask for Lincoln to win 9 on the bounce they will drop points.

+1

Posted by: Yiggsy (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 00:23

Just a quick point on McNulty and Ihiekwe.

Ihiekwe won just about every aerial ball he contested and McNulty is just so clever with his play and won balls others wouldn't have got a sniff at. He got done for pace by their number 14 in the second half down our right when we were chasing but with his craft, anticipation and guile still managed to get a crucial tackle in.

If you crossed John Stones with Steve McNulty you would probably get arrested but would end up with a cracking player!

Posted by: 2 the moon (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 01:38

Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
pez
Wallace is Dog She*t!
If Harris is still out Friday, I'd prefer to play with wingers.

Sousa and Jennings out wide and I seriously think that Norwood should be benched.

How can Norwood start ahead of Cook? Seriously? How many times has he missed sitters this season?

Cook gets a sniff and it usually ends up in the net.

Wallace is an over paid luxury imo, he doesnt do enough and now that Maynard is fit, it's a no brainier.

Cook didn't get a sniff. I seriously disagree with all of your post
Norwood isn't in ahead of Cook, Stockton is. Nors will Chase, press, track back and run after everything. Players at this level have their limitations and often need to go 'long'. Nors will chase after these and force errors not to mention the runs he makes to create space.. He's a very important cog in Mickey's wheel

Posted by: luckyseven (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 02:22

Just got back, tiring drive for midweek!

Thought we played really well tbh, did everything but score. I don't see what some have re: Wallace, I thought he was a bit off the pace when he first came, on but grew into the game, and all things considered, performed well.

Frustrating to lose it like that after so many good chances, but that's football I guess. On to Friday now and hopefully straight back to winning ways.

FGR, bad team of yard dogs. Ref needs to have a word with himself as well, completely lost control at times.

Posted by: mini_andy (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 06:45

Absolutely gutted. It looks like we've blown it, but you never know. Winning 11 on the bounce to win the league always was going to be optimistic.

It sounds like we did everything right, but couldn't score. Always the way with Tranmere!

Lincoln may have an awful Easter, who knows.....

(Maynard needs to play for Harris)

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 07:37

Bad night last night.. if it is to be the play offs, which looks likely now, then maybe in the semis it would be best to meet dover. An injured or out of sorts ricky miller would help. I know we have kept him quiet in the 2 games with them this season but still a very dangerous player..always the possibility of meeting shots in semis.. will be able to judge them on friday.

Posted by: mini_andy (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 08:35

I think it'll either be aldershot of Dover taking 5th so assuming we stay second it's one of them.

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 09:50

Wel lets hope that it is Dover, for so far we have failed to beat Lincoln,FGR,Dagenham,or Aldershot. It is an odd set of results in a season with record points already achieved.
It was perhaps predictable that FGR yet again win with a late goal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 09:54 by DevonExile.

Posted by: Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 09:52

Summary of my take on last night.

1 - Another good all round performance simply didn't convert our chances and should have been comfortably ahead before FGR scored.

2 - Same old FGR enough said.

3 - Referee out of his depth and not strong enough (How Jeff Hughes tackle was a yellow and so was Benett's ( FGR Nr 6) escapes me.

4 - FGR manager tactically got it right last quarter when we were still pushing to win the game.

Gutted to say the least but, a similar performance (with goals)against Aldershot and things could possible change over Easter.

Date: 12 April, 2017 09:53

Quote:
2 the moon
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
pez
Wallace is Dog She*t!

Sousa and Jennings out wide and I seriously think that Norwood should be benched.

How can Norwood start ahead of Cook? Seriously? How many times has he missed sitters this season?

Wallace is an over paid luxury imo, he doesnt do enough and now that Maynard is fit, it's a no brainier.

Norwood isn't in ahead of Cook, Stockton is. Nors will Chase, press, track back and run after everything. Players at this level have their limitations and often need to go 'long'. Nors will chase after these and force errors not to mention the runs he makes to create space.. He's a very important cog in Mickey's wheel

+1

Date: 12 April, 2017 09:57

Quote:
Jack of all Trades
Summary of my take on last night.
1 - Another good all round performance simply didn't convert our chances and should have been comfortably ahead before FGR scored.

2 - Same old FGR enough said.

3 - Referee out of his depth and not strong enough (How Jeff Hughes tackle was a yellow and so was Benett's ( FGR Nr 6) escapes me.

4 - FGR manager tactically got it right last quarter when we were still pushing to win the game.

Gutted to say the least but, a similar performance (with goals)against Aldershot and things could possible change over Easter.

+1
Totally agree with Mellon's comments on the game.
This is the ref who used to be a player.He's been very weak every time I've seen him.

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 10:39

Lincoln are not going to slip up .they are a lot better all round side and always do what they need to do home and away .they really deserve to be champions good luck to them I say .if that was them in our place last night they would have not lost it .thats the difference between them and us .when the going gets tough the tough gets going

Posted by: coltran (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 10:55

What a let-down in front of a large crowd. We played brilliantly for most of the game but just couldn't score. The loss of Jay Harris was a major blow but I don't believe Wallace deserves some of the criticism he gets. Wallace is a different style of player than Harris and perhaps doesn't fit in to the "all-action" style of the current midfield. Some of his passing was excellent though. If Harris is now unavailable, I agree that Maynard would be a better fit. I wouldn't bet on Lincoln not slipping up though but let's hope that last night's defeat doesn't result in a mini slump which has happened so often in the past. Like many on this site, I don't feel that confident in our ability to win the play-offs due to our form against the top teams and our penalty conversion rate.

Posted by: Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 10:56

Hughes and Norwood let us down last night. Hughes should have been sent off for that reckless challenge, what was in his mind?.
His corners and free kicks were appalling again, why Liam and Adam dont take them I dont know.
Norwood - failed to hold the ball up, offsides and fouls given away cheaply and usual poor finishing. Collins should get the nod next game.

Finally Forest Green - what a horrible bankorolled team of playactors (Cooper was a disgrace - deliberately trying to get Connor sent off) and horrible set of supporters. I can see why Lincoln hate them.

Posted by: Import (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 11:04

Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Lincoln are not going to slip up .they are a lot better all round side and always do what they need to do home and away .they really deserve to be champions good luck to them I say .if that was them in our place last night they would have not lost it .thats the difference between them and us .when the going gets tough the tough gets going

It's not over yet, a long way to go.

Date: 12 April, 2017 11:07

Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

Can't you ever not be negative?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 11:08 by Hoots Mon.

Date: 12 April, 2017 11:12

Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Hughes and Norwood let us down last night. Hughes should have been sent off for that reckless challenge, what was in his mind?.
His corners and free kicks were appalling again, why Liam and Adam dont take them I dont know.
Norwood - failed to hold the ball up, offsides and fouls given away cheaply and usual poor finishing. Collins should get the nod next game.

Finally Forest Green - what a horrible bankorolled team of playactors (Cooper was a disgrace - deliberately trying to get Connor sent off) and horrible set of supporters. I can see why Lincoln hate them.

Why are they ''a horrible set of supporters''?. Those who went last night who have commented on their site have all admitted that they were battered in the first half and have been reasonably fair about the second half too.

Posted by: Old Rover (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 11:17

Just to get things straight' I'm not blaming Wallace for the defeat.I'm just saying that he's not good enough to be in the team. As for Norwood he should start every game because he works hard for the team.

Posted by: pez (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 11:26

Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
2 the moon
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
pez
Wallace is Dog She*t!

+1

I understand that Nors runs after the ball, but he does not do anything effective with it when he gets it!

Stockton is scoring goals, Norwood isn't, Cook likewise is scoring goals, Norwood isbpnt. Maybe play Norwood out wide or play all 3 of them?

Were playing catch up and these chances that keep going over and wide will certainly lead to our demise.

Even if we don't win the league, we still need to win 3 games against equally good opponents to win the play offs

Posted by: Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2017 11:42

Their keeper played out of his skin last night but most of his saves were blocks with the ball spinning off back into the danger zone.
We were just not quick enough to pounce on the rebounds or accurate enough to finish off.
When Norwood gets it you just know its going to be a miss I'm afraid, but the others were just as guilty last night..

Current Page: 4 of 6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net