Current Page: 1 of 6
Next Up: Torquay United (A)
Posted by: Total Tranmere (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2017 17:53

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 12:45 by mini_andy.

Re: Next Up: Torquay United (A)
Posted by: mini_andy (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2017 18:56

Great article to start is off with!

I'm going big on this one, winning by 4 goals! I think 1-5

Posted by: RonnyBE (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2017 20:06

Looking forth to the opener - this sounds like one to build confidence. From a quick glance, Torquay lost seven of the guys that were up against us back in March so they will have a lot of work to do to get a team together that can keep them afloat. A good moment to play against them.

I'm mainly curious on what line-up we will appear in - will Mellon stand by the Fleetwood eleven that did so well?

As a sidenote, I went browsing through some statistics and noticed that this is a jubilee match – it will be the 50th confrontation between the Rovers and the Gulls. As an small add-on, it will be our 25th visit to Plainmoor as well. Some quick facts:
* We’ve got the upper hand with 22 wins over 16 losses so far (11 draws).
* Remarkably, considering half a century in which we were both in the League, we’ve only faced off once for a cup. The 3rd of September 1969 we’ve got our revenge in the League Cup winning 2-1 after getting a 5-1 drubbing on the road for the competition the week before.
* We’re on a seven-game streak without a loss – Torquay’s last victory dates back to October 1988. The record so far is nine games in the middle of the 80s when we were both in the old Division Four. Our worst streak are six losses in a row in the middle of the 60s.
* With 7 victories, 4 draws and 13 losses in Plainmoor our away tally might seem moderate but we’ve won two of our last three games there – last year was a goalless draw as outlined above (great article, by the way).

Posted by: Cybertron (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2017 21:33

I have absolutely no real clue what the team will be for the weekend, or what formation they will play. I think it will be a 1-2 win.

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2017 22:29

Well done Joe and thanks.

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2017 22:49

Quote:
RonnyBE
I'm mainly curious on what line-up we will appear in - will Mellon stand by the Fleetwood eleven that did so well?

He could do that but then he would have to exclude McEveley, who and without revealing his name at the time, he stated he had a gentleman's agreement with to sign when he talked after that match.

So at the very least considering McEveley's background and potential quality, I would think he would be a strong contender to start, especially as he's the new number 6 according to the squad numbers list that was recently published.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: Tranmere69 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2017 22:57

Will miss the first week of the season as we are on our hols but I'm sticking with the 0-4 I posted on the Torquay site at the beginning of the week.
I really believe that this will be our season. SWA

Posted by: mini_andy (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2017 23:23

I think the starting 11 will be something like:

Davies
Buxton McNulty McEveley
Dunn Ridehalgh
Norburn Hughes
Jennings Norwood
Alabi

Posted by: rossb07 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2017 23:53

Quote:
mini_andy
I think the starting 11 will be something like:
Davies
Buxton McNulty McEveley
Dunn Ridehalgh
Norburn Hughes
Jennings Norwood
Alabi

I like that team but feel MM may go with the 5-2-3 / 3-4-3 (when attacking) they deployed against Fleetwood with the same back 4 and middle 2 as in your post but with Nors and Dunn on either side of Alabi and Mitch on the right.
If that doesn't work then you can always go to the 3-5-2 and bring Jennings on to battle in the centre.
All in all, a win but could be a tight early season feeler or a goal glut if they pull Torquay about too much.
It's just good to have the season back again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2017 00:03 by rossb07.

Posted by: Wozza (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2017 09:56

2-0 rovers norburn,Norwood 👍

Posted by: Hardly Irons (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2017 10:53

3-1 win with McNulty conceding a dodgy penalty

Goals by alabi, Norwood and cook

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2017 11:17

I have been out the loop for a while .moved house so it's taken 6weeks to get my internet put on .still waiting for phone line .bought the Liverpool Echo to try and keep up with the rovers news .complete waste of time .no wonder it's called the Liverpool Echo .so anyway i will go for a 2-0 for the whites

Posted by: jonesy792 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2017 13:06

Davies

Buxton Mcnulty Sutton Ridehalgh

Norburn Harris

C Jennings

Norwood Cook Alabi

Posted by: dicko111 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2017 13:43

I thought we liked the 3-5-2 formation .How about
DAVIES
MCNULTY SUTTON MCEVERLEY

JENNINGS HARRIS NORBURN HUGHES NORSWOOD

ALABI COOK (i know its not tried and tested up front but maybe the bury game that was cancelled was an opportunity)

Confident on 0-3 still

Posted by: jonesy792 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2017 14:53

Quote:
jonesy792
Davies
Buxton Mcnulty Sutton Ridehalgh

Norburn Harris

C Jennings

Norwood Cook Alabi

Coming to think about , for an injection of pace and creativity, I'd want Dunn in there so I think I'd drop C Jennings.

Can't see McEveley starting unless there's an injury

Posted by: 853OKG (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2017 18:05

First time for a while i cannot make first game of the season but will go to the next two home games. Hope those spending nights csmping sre rewarded with a thumping Tranmere win. I amoff to do my annuall bet on them being champions. Got to win sometime!

Date: 04 August, 2017 18:16

Quote:
853OKG
First time for a while i cannot make first game of the season but will go to the next two home games. Hope those spending nights csmping sre rewarded with a thumping Tranmere win. I amoff to do my annuall bet on them being champions. Got to win sometime!
whats the odds not really a betting man so if I was to throw £20 down what would I get in return 👍

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2017 19:16

5/2 so £70 back for £20.apparently been a lot of money gone on us lately

Date: 04 August, 2017 19:21

Cheers loyden might put a ton on us although it's only £250 win I think?

Posted by: Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2017 21:49

Davies
Duggan -McElvey/Cook -McNulty-Sutton - Ridehalgh
Connor-Harris-Norburn
Alabi-Cook/Norwood

Current Page: 1 of 6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net