Current Page: 1 of 2
To be honest
Posted by: kennyspint (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2017 22:23

After Wembley I've had it with McNulty and Norwood. Both players who made a difference in the past but now have contributed nothing this season except to leave us hanging on for a nil nil against Tufc. I hope Ritchie and Cookie cement their places on Tuesday.

Re: To be honest
Posted by: Cybertron (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2017 22:27

Quote:
kennyspint
After Wembley I've had it with McNulty and Norwood. Both players who made a difference in the past but now have contributed nothing this season except to leave us hanging on for a nil nil against Tufc. I hope Ritchie and Cookie cement their places on Tuesday.
FFS its far too early in the season to be getting players backs..

Date: 06 August, 2017 22:37

Fair point except it's based on last season as well. And when was the last season we had two red cards on the first game of the season. Macca knew he was on a yellow and he's Captain

Posted by: Uglybob (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2017 22:51

To be fair and objective it wasn't just Norwood and McNulty who went missing at Wembley . With the exception of Scotty and Buxton the team never turned up . Ok , Norwood missed ( another ) one on one and McNulty was turned inside out for their second , but , over the course of last season McNulty was probably MOTM more than anyone . You say they`'ve contributed nothing this season - jeez , we've only had one game . Chill out , have a beer and look forward to the rest of the season . Get behind the lads .

Date: 06 August, 2017 23:12

OK

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2017 23:16

Quote:
Uglybob
To be fair and objective it wasn't just Norwood and McNulty who went missing at Wembley . With the exception of Scotty and Buxton the team never turned up . Ok , Norwood missed ( another ) one on one and McNulty was turned inside out for their second , but , over the course of last season McNulty was probably MOTM more than anyone . You say they`'ve contributed nothing this season - jeez , we've only had one game . Chill out , have a beer and look forward to the rest of the season . Get behind the lads .

+1. I don't think any of them turned up at Wembley apart from Jennings with his screamer[why he was subbed I still have no idea]

Posted by: pez (IP Logged)
Date: 07 August, 2017 10:11

Too early to judge anyone.

Saturday was a difficult game and Torquay have obviously improved as a team.

A point away from home with 9 men is a good result.

Let's look forward to Tuesday and hopefully 3 points to set us on our way.

I'm sure Micky will have had stern words with both players and will be looking for us to stay disciplined and stop picking up stupid bookings?

I do feel that Norwood may have shot himself in the foot, as his 3 game ban will open the door for someone else to get at least 3 games to impress and keep him out of the starting lineup.

Even Alabi was ineffective on Saturday, so you can only assume that teams will be watching plenty of video footage in an attempt to frustrate us and stop us playing to our strengths.

I expect us to be a different animal at home on Tuesday.

Posted by: velico (IP Logged)
Date: 07 August, 2017 16:35

torquay are rubbish, all they had was the long throw,they will drop this season I think. as for nors, I can see why fgr let him go, he can not finish and hes petulant.

Posted by: Yiggsy (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2017 20:51

Get off their backs please, they are Rovers' players and give it their all.

I have nothing against Cole Stockton but his miss of an open goal in the play-off final, which was created by Norwood's persistence was the final turning factor and killer blow in that game.

Yes there were defensive mistakes that got us in the situation but that miss sealed it.

I wish Cole Stockton the best at Hearts this season.

Posted by: Phil65 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2017 23:48

I've been a fan of Norwood's all along and have not jumped on the bandwagon when he's been criticised. However, no one should be defending his elbow on Saturday and just stating they are Rovers players doesn't excuse his calculated attempt to injure another player. Any criticism for his action is fully justified. However, I feel he'll still be a key player in our promotion season and wouldn't write him off.

Posted by: trfc-boi (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2017 23:53

Your talking out your @#$%&, we would never be in that position without them

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 00:25

Hard to say, as Tranmere might have been able to get players of equivalent or better quality, but they are a key part of the squad and should not be overlooked.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: the kav (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 07:26

November last year we had written jay harris off and look at him now, its a form thing lets not write anyone off yet

Posted by: mini_andy (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 08:17

Quote:
the kav
November last year we had written jay harris off and look at him now, its a form thing lets not write anyone off yet

And Conner Jennings, some were even saying to release him!

Norwood works hard for the team, he won't score loads of goal, but he'll put defences under pressure all game, and create chances for others.

McNulty is a class defenders. Other players learn from him. However, against Torquay he looked slower, his first yellow was because the striker had got past him, his second, he let himself and the team down.

Posted by: pez (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 11:19

McNulty does offer his expertise and knowledge to the younger players and I have no doubt that he was a big part in Iheikwe developing into a decent player over the course of last season, however, he likes to get involved in any dusty cuffs.

Micky needs to sit them all down and sort out the discipline before we get a reputation as a dirty team.

Sometimes it's best to just walk away from a situation and let the quality of our football do the talking?

Posted by: Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 11:53

Within any squad there will always be one or two players who are scapegoated by fans. If we signed the whole Real Madrid squad tomorrow, and they performed as they did last season, there would still be fans suggesting that so-and-so is a weak link. It's all a question of scale - there will always be a weakest link and even if they aren't weak people will say it's a problem.

The question you should always ask if whether the weakest links are weak, or strong. In the case of these two players: McNulty does have some limitations, and it's easy to see why he will get the blame when things go wrong, but how often does that happen. He organises the defense well and we play to the strength of our parts, which provides the strong defense we need.

Norwood is not an expert at finishing 1-on-1 situations, but he's probably our best player since Malkin at getting into that position. Missing a 1-on-1 is disappointing for us, but it's a worry for the opposition that we were able to slice them apart to create the chance. That puts the opposition on the backfoot and lowers their confidence. It also creates room outside the box for players like Jennings to have the time and space to shoot from distance. Replace Norwood with a player who finishes well but doesn't have his movement, and we might see more possession, and a higher percentage of good chances going in, but we wouldn't necessarily see more goals.

Norwood is also unlucky as fans always over-estimate the chances of scoring a 1-on-1. I remember Ally McCoist a long time ago commenting that it's pointless for defenders to get themselves sent off as the last defender, as only about 1 in 3 1-on-1 chances end up as a goal. I thought that was daft at the time, but over the years have seen that is the case at Premiership/International level. The best players in the world are more likely to miss than score the chances that Norwood gets criticised for. OK, their percentage of goals might be higher, but the belief that better players don't miss (or that Norwood never scores) is very false.

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 13:18

Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
Within any squad there will always be one or two players who are scapegoated by fans. If we signed the whole Real Madrid squad tomorrow, and they performed as they did last season, there would still be fans suggesting that so-and-so is a weak link. It's all a question of scale - there will always be a weakest link and even if they aren't weak people will say it's a problem.
The question you should always ask if whether the weakest links are weak, or strong. In the case of these two players: McNulty does have some limitations, and it's easy to see why he will get the blame when things go wrong, but how often does that happen. He organises the defense well and we play to the strength of our parts, which provides the strong defense we need.

Norwood is not an expert at finishing 1-on-1 situations, but he's probably our best player since Malkin at getting into that position. Missing a 1-on-1 is disappointing for us, but it's a worry for the opposition that we were able to slice them apart to create the chance. That puts the opposition on the backfoot and lowers their confidence. It also creates room outside the box for players like Jennings to have the time and space to shoot from distance. Replace Norwood with a player who finishes well but doesn't have his movement, and we might see more possession, and a higher percentage of good chances going in, but we wouldn't necessarily see more goals.

Norwood is also unlucky as fans always over-estimate the chances of scoring a 1-on-1. I remember Ally McCoist a long time ago commenting that it's pointless for defenders to get themselves sent off as the last defender, as only about 1 in 3 1-on-1 chances end up as a goal. I thought that was daft at the time, but over the years have seen that is the case at Premiership/International level. The best players in the world are more likely to miss than score the chances that Norwood gets criticised for. OK, their percentage of goals might be higher, but the belief that better players don't miss (or that Norwood never scores) is very false.

+1

Posted by: TimmySoft (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 18:24

Nors got plenty of goals last season, plus he assisted and helped to create a fair few too. I'd say his involvement in goals was probably greater than the opportunities he missed. I personally really like him, i think he's a good player, he could probably cut it a couple of divisions higher where more referee decisions would go his way. The elbow was stupid, any player that does silly things like that deserves a ban.

I like McNulty, but i do think he's now losing pace at an alarming rate and teams certainly target his lack of mobility, but on the ball he's still one of our best players and a good role model to the younger defenders coming through. I think his red was more a card from passion and desire, Its nice to see that kind of passion but as an experienced player he should be knowing when to reel it in.

We'll always be looking for someone to blame for our shortfalls, but so early in the season i don't think theres any conclusive evidence that two players have lost us the league title!
I remember seeing the comments about the Dunn signing, people saying that he was awful and he was rubbish in the playoffs, he's been great ever since!

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 22:36

It's all about perception and what a player offers to the team.

Do you want a striker who gets 10 goals and 10 assists, or 18 goals and 2 assists?

Even if that team got 5th or 6th and made the playoffs, it's basically the same thing, but the former could be criticised because he only scored 10 goals and the other praised for scoring 18, when both contributed to the same outcome.

I remember Liverpool fans moaning about Crouch because he hadn't scored in his first 9 matches, despite him getting, I think, 6 assists in 9 matches and them being 3rd I seem to recall after those 9 games.

If I was a manager I'd be more than happy with someone getting an assist every 1.5 games on average and then he scored in his 10 game and some of their fans were like oh finally he's scored.

Rather what they could have said was oh, now he has a goal and assist ratio of 70%, because to be honest a ratio of 66.66% wasn't cutting it for me.

Norwood gives a lot to the team and is a relevant part of the setup, but no players are immune from criticism and even Norwood has criticised his own finishing in the past, but Mellon would foolish to overlook him and sideline him.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: 2 the moon (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 02:36

I remember coming out of Wembley and hearing f@#$ing Mcnulty This and f@#$ing Mcnulty that.
Straight away looking for a scapegoat. So what did he do so wrong at Wembley. The lad curled a cracker into the corner. Where the other 2 his fault, were they hell. FGR were the better team and beat us with two great goals and one mistake (not steves) but watch the highlights. We had our chances. Mcnulty was immense in the semi final against the much heralded Aldershot attack that was supposedly going to rip us to shreds. And you know what, if he comes back as soon as a result doesn't go our way he'll be made a scapegoat again and I'm not even going to start on the old cliche 'exposed by pace'. Norwood for me is one of our best players and I'm not going to deny I'm a fan. But I will concede his finishing is an issue, one that I can't see improving at the minute but he's a perfect foil for Andy Cook and until something better comes along he's in all day for me.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net