Current Page: 1 of 2
Lessons not learnt
Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 08 August, 2017 20:38

We continually fail to learn from what's gone before season to season. 2 up cruising, suddenly 2-1 and under the cosh. Where they had been going in thinking nothing here for us, suddenly they are almost on terms.

To win any league you have to do two things; understand that your opponent will have a strong spell in the game, Championship sides will weather that and not panic and usually score from it, knocking the revival on the head. I don't ink we are ever prepared for that.

Secondly there will be games that you dint feature in and get battered, you need to win them 1-0.

Finally the strikers don't learn, the two starters spots are very much up for grabs and someone needs to get a hold of the game and force the managers hand by banging goals in, Stockton did it last season.

Re: Lessons not learnt
Posted by: trfc-boi (IP Logged)
Date: 08 August, 2017 20:45

I thought Woking have played ok in patches, they have pace on wings & big forward Effiong, Rovers have been passing the ball nicely, short, quick touches, sure I counted 20 passes & shot on goal. Deffo need to stop giving teams a chance, right on half time, game should be 3-0 rovers, instead of an awkward 2-1. Rovers goals have been class.

Date: 08 August, 2017 21:04

Quote:
trfc-boi
I thought Woking have played ok in patches, they have pace on wings & big forward Effiong, Rovers have been passing the ball nicely, short, quick touches, sure I counted 20 passes & shot on goal. Deffo need to stop giving teams a chance, right on half time, game should be 3-0 rovers, instead of an awkward 2-1. Rovers goals have been class.

Exactamund

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2017 00:18

Quote:
Higgosboots
We continually fail to learn from what's gone before season to season. 2 up cruising, suddenly 2-1 and under the cosh. Where they had been going in thinking nothing here for us, suddenly they are almost on terms.
To win any league you have to do two things; understand that your opponent will have a strong spell in the game, Championship sides will weather that and not panic and usually score from it, knocking the revival on the head. I don't ink we are ever prepared for that.

Secondly there will be games that you dint feature in and get battered, you need to win them 1-0.

Finally the strikers don't learn, the two starters spots are very much up for grabs and someone needs to get a hold of the game and force the managers hand by banging goals in, Stockton did it last season.

Soryy but the other team are allowed to score good goals too. It was a superb cross and decent glancing header.

We only had one up front not two.

We weren't ''under the cosh''at any stage . They had some decent attacks [especially at 3-1]and Davies made two or three excellent saves. They had a good go and should be praised for that but we could have had a lot more than 3.

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2017 07:44

Cook not only scored but he created pressure and space for others.He held the ball up well and won most things in the air.
If anything needs to be learnt it is that he is our best forward and should not have to wait for injuries or suspensions before starting

Date: 09 August, 2017 08:26

Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots

Soryy but the other team are allowed to score good goals too. It was a superb cross and decent glancing header.

We weren't ''under the cosh''at any stage . They had some decent attacks [especially at 3-1]and Davies made two or three excellent saves. They had a good go and should be praised for that but we could have had a lot more than 3.

They are allowed to score goals but we have a habit of constantly conceding at 2-0 up when there has been limited opportunity, we came through but those kind of things have throw away 2-0 lead all over them like the last two seasons.

Posted by: roger mellie (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2017 08:54

It was a great goal. Didn't see it coming. But you have to take the positives out of how we responded to conceding. Could have been 6 or 7 in the second half.

Posted by: 853OKG (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2017 09:21

Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots

it was poor defending.

Posted by: wasnotwas (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2017 09:35

Some of our football was superb, some of the short passing to get out of trouble was class.

I felt at 2:0 up we got too casual. Their goal came from a move where we were simply outpaced to get to the ball. We have a serious lack of pace throughout this side, especially at the back and up front. Cant wait for Tollitt to come back.

Harris superb and my MOTM. Could have got promoted if we hadnt lost him at the end of last season.

Referee, as usual, absolutely dreadful, our lads were simply hacked down a few times in the last 15 minutes with no adequate response from the ref.

Posted by: Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2017 11:11

After just two games this season it's a bit harsh to say 'we continually fail to learn'.
Yes we conceded a goal but for me the big difference was that we bounced back scored one and could have scored several more. Last night was a huge improvement on last season and to say that we were 'under the cosh' is just wrong. All teams wIll concede goals and we certainly did not panic when we did last night. A very good performance and I'm a bit surprised some people choose to focus on the negatives.

Date: 09 August, 2017 11:45

Quote:
Yardleys Cat
After just two games this season it's a bit harsh to say 'we continually fail to learn'.
Yes we conceded a goal but for me the big difference was that we bounced back scored one and could have scored several more. Last night was a huge improvement on last season and to say that we were 'under the cosh' is just wrong. All teams wIll concede goals and we certainly did not panic when we did last night. A very good performance and I'm a bit surprised some people choose to focus on the negatives.

I dont think that pointiing out that there is a tendency to concede poor goals with two minutes to go in a half is negative , it serves to remind players to keep concentration for 45+ minutes. Yes it didnt derail them last night which is a positive. As Micky keeps saying , they have to learn and improve if they want to finish top .

The tranmere goals were first class and a lot of the passing was as well.

Posted by: Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2017 11:51

Erm, we don't have a tendency to call needed poor goals in the last two minutes of the first half this season. The season is two games old. That was the point I was making.

Posted by: 2 the moon (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2017 12:10

We went 2 up and they tightened up for a few minutes. Good tactics imo. Looked a decent goal back they got but at no point after that goal did I see us 'under the cosh'

Posted by: ming05 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2017 12:51

I'm one of the first to moan, but for me I think we had another gear last night and if needed could have stepped up the game.

Date: 09 August, 2017 14:26

Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
Yardleys Cat

I dont think that pointiing out that there is a tendency to concede poor goals with two minutes to go in a half is negative , it serves to remind players to keep concentration for 45+ minutes. Yes it didnt derail them last night which is a positive. As Micky keeps saying , they have to learn and improve if they want to finish top .

If you insist that the Woking goal was ''poor defending''which I don't agree with your comment,then surely it can be equally said that Cook's fine goal from their point of view,was also poor defending

Posted by: tranmerepete (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2017 14:58

Your not going play 90 minutes with out the other team having a better patch.....

Date: 09 August, 2017 15:39

Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
Yardleys Cat

If you insist that the Woking goal was ''poor defending''which I don't agree with your comment,then surely it can be equally said that Cook's fine goal from their point of view,was also poor defending

You are always right so there ends the debate.

Posted by: Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2017 16:57

Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots

They are allowed to score goals but we have a habit of constantly conceding at 2-0 up when there has been limited opportunity, we came through but Rhode kind of things have throw away 2-0 lead all over them like the last two seasons.

If our great weakness is conceding a goal when we are 2-0 up then I'll take that. Not many teams score twice against us. Getting 2 up has been our big problem, not letting teams back into games.

Posted by: Phil65 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2017 17:19

The difference was that the game didn't get nervy as it has in the past. We always looked in control so let's see this as a positive. We will concede goals, but it's not the end of the world if we continue to stay focused and positive.

Date: 09 August, 2017 17:33

Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots

They are allowed to score goals but we have a habit of constantly conceding at 2-0 up when there has been limited opportunity, we came through but Rhode kind of things have throw away 2-0 lead all over them like the last two seasons.

If our great weakness is conceding a goal when we are 2-0 up then I'll take that. Not many teams score twice against us. Getting 2 up has been our big problem, not letting teams back into games.

+1

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net