O/T The Premier League a closed shop?
Posted by: BELMONT (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 13:33

The average turn over between a Premiership team and the EFL(Championship) team has now gone to £100 million. This figure is before the new TV deal this season, the impact of the new deal will not be seen until this year accounts come out.

No doubt the £100 million will dwarfed by the new figure when they come out better get the buckets out.

There we're always a financial gap year's ago between the First Division and the fourth tier,but that just a gap these day's it's light year's you need Star Trek's Enterprise to go to warp speed.Mark engage warp speed(Sm132)

Re: O/T The Premier League a closed shop?
Posted by: Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 13:57

Simply a case of the rich greater richer.

In addition, adding insult to injury, we now have a system in place effectively forced on everyone else by the Premier League, whereby they can sign any player they like for basically a pittance in compensation.

This following threats of withdrawing all funding if the FL did not accept the new format proposed. As a consequence, it is highly unlikely probably impossible for teams like ourselves to develop players in the future who we can transfer for large fees.

The whole financial set up of the Premier League is obscene and little or no revenue filters down to the leagues and grass roots football in relation to the monies received by the PL, despite all the self righteous protestations from the PL to the contrary.

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 14:56

I would love the premier league to collapse and all these clubs that spend well above their means to go into financial ruin. I loathe the people that run the premiership and hate their standalone product. they just line their pockets and don't give a damn about any thing else. that's why our national team is a load of crap, they don't care about the development of the game in England, they don't fret and worry that our coaches are not good enough and they couldn't give a t*ss about the football league.. I detest anything corporate, the cashing in on what belongs to the people, sports,music,ideas,intellect, all plagiarized and manipulated by lawyers so the fats cats get fatter. football is the peoples game and the premiership is taking it away from us. the notion that the premier league is so entertaining and so competitive and that its the best league in the world is a complete load of b*llshit. every league has its own excitement and levels of competitiveness, all the way from the top divisions of the European leagues down to the alehouse sunday leagues.

Posted by: Gilbert's Fridge (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 15:34

Quote:
hong kong rover
I would love the premier league to collapse and all these clubs that spend well above their means to go into financial ruin. I loathe the people that run the premiership and hate their standalone product. they just line their pockets and don't give a damn about any thing else. that's why our national team is a load of crap, they don't care about the development of the game in England, they don't fret and worry that our coaches are not good enough and they couldn't give a t*ss about the football league.. I detest anything corporate, the cashing in on what belongs to the people, sports,music,ideas,intellect, all plagiarized and manipulated by lawyers so the fats cats get fatter. football is the peoples game and the premiership is taking it away from us. the notion that the premier league is so entertaining and so competitive and that its the best league in the world is a complete load of b*llshit. every league has its own excitement and levels of competitiveness, all the way from the top divisions of the European leagues down to the alehouse sunday leagues.

Couldn't agree more hkr.

Posted by: Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 15:44

The Premiership isn't really a sport, it's a TV series. Compare it to something like wrestling, where the created drama and rivalries drive the entertainment, rather than the actual sport. That's not to say it's as rigged as WWF is, but it's certainly operating in a financial way which keeps the top sides at the top, rather than rewarding football success.

I know lots of Liverpool fans, for instance, who don't really have an interest in football, just in the constructed entertainment. They'll watch the World Cup, but not from a love of the game but to see how potential targets play. They'll know the top 4 sides in all the major leagues, but don't have a clue who League Two clubs are. There's no real sense of enjoying the game, just enjoying the circus which is built up around the game.

If the Premiership, and other top leagues, want to chase that money and be an entertainment corporation, then let them. I'd see the Championship as the best league in the world in terms of enjoyment - excellent players, close games, unexpected seasons and everything football should be about.

I can't wait for the European Super League to start off, and the reserves of Chelsea, United, Liverpool etc. play in the Premiership. I'd love to speed up creating a global 'entertainment' league, so that English football can be all about being a 'sporting' league.

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 16:01

Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
The Premiership isn't really a sport, it's a TV series. Compare it to something like wrestling, where the created drama and rivalries drive the entertainment, rather than the actual sport. That's not to say it's as rigged as WWF is, but it's certainly operating in a financial way which keeps the top sides at the top, rather than rewarding football success.
I know lots of Liverpool fans, for instance, who don't really have an interest in football, just in the constructed entertainment. They'll watch the World Cup, but not from a love of the game but to see how potential targets play. They'll know the top 4 sides in all the major leagues, but don't have a clue who League Two clubs are. There's no real sense of enjoying the game, just enjoying the circus which is built up around the game.

If the Premiership, and other top leagues, want to chase that money and be an entertainment corporation, then let them. I'd see the Championship as the best league in the world in terms of enjoyment - excellent players, close games, unexpected seasons and everything football should be about.

I can't wait for the European Super League to start off, and the reserves of Chelsea, United, Liverpool etc. play in the Premiership. I'd love to speed up creating a global 'entertainment' league, so that English football can be all about being a 'sporting' league.

fully agree with you there C&C, the sports bars here in HK will be busy tmrw with many locals and westerners out to watch the new premier season kicking off.in hk u can watch any premier league game u want, they are all on live. most of them haven't a clue about anything outside the premier league. I am actually having a night out tmrw with a few pals and will be unable to tune in to wirral radio for the rovers game. we are bound to end up watching a premier league game in a bar at some point during the evening, coz pretty much all my pals follow big clubs. I will defo be wearing my TRFC Shirt though tmrw night and telling all these t*ssers that TRFC is a real club and what football is all about. its gonna be a night of heavy drinking, frequently checking the livescores on my mobile phone for the rovers result and some missionary work, with me promoting the great name of TRFC, lol.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 16:09 by hong kong rover.

Posted by: HardlyYardley (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 16:07

It's strange and sad to find myself saying this but, if it were ever a real possibility, I'd prefer Rovers to be a good Championship side rather than get involved in the Premier League. Economics isn't a science (which is why so many people make a living talking nonsense and making wrong predictions) but the Premier League does look like a bubble, inflated by media money, which will eventually burst.

Posted by: Tranmere69 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 16:13

Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
I know lots of Liverpool fans, for instance, who don't really have an interest in football, just in the

constructed entertainment. They'll watch the World Cup, but not from a love of the game but to see how potential targets play. They'll know the top 4 sides in all the major leagues, but don't have a clue who League Two clubs are. There's no real sense of enjoying the game, just enjoying the circus which is built up around the game.

fully agree with you there C&C, the sports bars here in HK will be busy tmrw with many locals and westerners out to watch the new premier season kicking off.in hk u can watch any premier league game u want, they are all on live. most of them haven't a clue about anything outside the premier league. I am actually having a night out tmrw with a few pals and will be unable to tune in to wirral radio for the rovers game. we are bound to end up watching a premier league game in a bar at some point during the evening, coz pretty much all my pals follow big clubs. I will defo be wearing my TRFC Shirt though tmrw night and telling all these t*ssers that TRFC is a real club and what football is all about. its gonna be a night of heavy drinking, frequently checking the livescores on my mobile phone for the rovers result and some missionary work, with me promoting the great name of TRFC, lol.
Good luck in your mission H K R.

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 17:08

Tell them we going to be big in Mongolia !

Posted by: Yiggsy (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 22:11

I think the marketing people don't understand football.

It is essentially a tribal thing.

I don't give a. ESS aitch one Tee if some group of superstars beats another group of superstars because that means nothing to me, and that is the way the Champions League is going and may well hold sway in Asia where they have no native local teams with history.

Football is not a superstar show. It is my tribe against your tribe with passion thrown in from where you are from. It's not entertainment it's a battle.

I don't want to watch a travelling circus as I don't feel part of that emotionally.

Posted by: Yiggsy (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 22:21

Just as an addenda, when I go to the match my missus used to say "Enjoy yourself".
i don't go to football to enjoy myself but to be part of an emotional drama enfolding on the pitch. Enjoyment is a bonus!

Posted by: mini_andy (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 22:26

I haven't watched a premier league game in years. I wouldn't know who plays for who, who the current hot shots are, in fact, I couldn't even name all the premier league teams!

The money wasted on that league these days is a joke. I hope we never get there, because we'll end up spending £20m + £70k a week on an average player.

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 23:07

The premier league is what it is and I would welcome Tranmere to be part of it at some stage.

There is no point in any club claiming to have ambition, if their ambition is to only ever explore 70%-80% of it's actual potential; or even less than that.

The Premier League might be a business now, but so is the championship.

Wolves and Aston Villa being owned by the Chinese; the deal for John Terry worth over £60,000 a week and many clubs being able to spend over £15,000 a week.

Even around 33%-50% of league one clubs can spend over £150,000 a year on top players.

So even if supporters of lower league clubs wanted to be in the championship, what would they then want; to flirt with the playoffs then blow it with 4 consecutive defeats, win your last 2-3 games and miss out and feel good, or maybe they would prefer to make the playoff final, go to Wembley for the experience, then hope their team lost and missed out on the Premier league and if their team won what next, refuse to watch games the following season, or contact the club and demand the club refuse the promotion and stay put?

I don't want the Premier league to implode as suggested, as that would be a massive blow to many honest decent football supporters, but if any large clubs in the top 2 divisions imploded by operating a Portsmouth style spending attitude, I would feel sorry perhaps for the fans but that's all.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: Phil65 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2017 23:19

Quote:
Yiggsy
Just as an addenda, when I go to the match my missus used to say "Enjoy yourself".
i don't go to football to enjoy myself but to be part of an emotional drama enfolding on the pitch. Enjoyment is a bonus!

I agree with the sentiments of your posts to a large degree and struggle to understand others who blandly watch a game and don't get caught up in the emotion of the drama or shy away from expressing their loyalties (these stuffed shirts frequent football grounds across the land). However, the same sentimentality you allude to applies to all who are infected with the incurable fever that is football, whether it be the soulless or the zealots, and is not exclusive to those of us who are down-trodden. We're all football fans who experience the triumphant highs and the excruciating lows of our addiction; it chose us, we didn't choose it. Premier League or National League; same sh#t, but one is polished and has glitter sprinkled on it.

Date: 12 August, 2017 00:01

I would assert that people choose football not as you say it chose other people and I don't mean to imply your personal experience is blinkered, as you know your own self better than anyone else alive, but it's like anything people become wanting to indulge in frequently, good or bad, it must come with the first try and it must have the emotional wow factor to make people want it again.

Posted by: 2 the moon (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 01:36

The premier league is well on its way to being completely foreign owned. When the day comes they will vote themselves away from every last bit of tradition it has left. They will then 'fly the nest' and good riddance I say.

Posted by: Phil65 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 08:15

Quote:
Matt34
I would assert that people choose football not as you say it chose other people and I don't mean to imply your personal experience is blinkered, as you know your own self better than anyone else alive, but it's like anything people become wanting to indulge in frequently, good or bad, it must come with the first try and it must have the emotional wow factor to make people want it again.

It was creative writing Matt. However, children don't choose their parents or residence and this will bear heavily on who they eventually support and indeed what sport they follow. On a personal level I didn't choose to support TRFC, but through a series of unfortunate events I am here. The pleasure overrides the pain (nothing to do with my love life!) and wouldn't swap it for a gold clock as my grandparents used to say. The majority of football fans are no different and have the same loyalties; I'm not one for unnecessarily criticising the Premier League.

Date: 12 August, 2017 23:02

Fair enough and I wasn't criticising anything you said, but if it came across that way then my mistake.

Posted by: Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)
Date: 14 August, 2017 11:53

To be honest, I feel sorry for fans of clubs like Bournemouth who have basically seen their good little clubs be destroyed and essentially become almost a franchise for a Premiership team. I know Wigan fans who are upset to see their team in the top half of League One - until Whelan came along that would be immense success for them. Bournemouth fans will grow the same disillusion when they get back to real football. For us it's tough being in the National League, but a path back to League One is achievable - Bournemouth fans will see their discontent of being in a lower league last a very long time once they start dropping again.

At the moment I'd hate to see Tranmere in the Premiership. I hope to see Huddersfield go down on the final day, after a couple of big scalpes, and return to the Championship financially secure but as a middling team finishing around 14th for the next few seasons. That will help me believe it is possible for an established Championship side (which I dream of us being) having their day in the sun and it not destroying the soul of the club. If they do a Burnley and get a few years there, or a Blackpool and it leads to their destruction, then I'll continue to see Tranmere in the Premiership as a nightmare.

Date: 15 August, 2017 00:18

Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
Bournemouth fans will see their discontent of being in a lower league last a very long time once they start dropping again.

Maybe that will never happen.

Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
I hope to see Huddersfield go down on the final day, after a couple of big scalpes, and return to the Championship financially secure but as a middling team finishing around 14th for the next few seasons. That will help me believe it is possible for an established Championship side (which I dream of us being) having their day in the sun and it not destroying the soul of the club. If they do a Burnley and get a few years there, or a Blackpool and it leads to their destruction, then I'll continue to see Tranmere in the Premiership as a nightmare.

Personally I hope Huddersfield stay up as then it proves you can buck a trend just like Bournemouth and Burnley have done. However Burnley still need to avoid the second season hoodoo, but if you beat Chelsea first game, you're setting the groundwork for a good foundation to survival in reality.

The fact is most clubs like that will want in to the elite and to become a big elite.

Football is what it is these days and that league is arguably the richest and best it has ever been and many football supporters would crave champions league football whether they be Man U supporters or FC United supporters and many would expect the ambition of current and future owners to be that they finance, in sensible ways, year on year squads capable of achieving the highest realistic position in the football pyramid they could, whether it's 15th in the Premier League after going up and staying up for 10 years or if that is the same scenario in League 1, National League, Northern Premier league or any league in the world.

Even if hypothetically some team finished bottom 5 years in a row in the Andorran league, for example, which has 8 teams and one division; why in that situation would those Andorran football supporters resign to being the wooden spoon team forever, as opposed to thinking we might get some new investment from somewhere, be able to spend an extra 10% or 20% and maybe win the title within the next 10 years and play champions cup football.

Ambition for clubs is a good thing, but if it means eventually seeing a horizon that might be the rich league and it's Europa league qualification spots or possibly better, then so be it and supporters of such a club could either stay for the ride for all their lives, or eventually feel disgusted, start a phoenix club, or go and support another team, or just stop watching football altogether.

Also a football club paying players £200,000 top whack doesn't necessarily have to be soulless by default. Some might conclude that Chelsea's Ukranian owner and the Qatari's at City make those clubs soulless, but some might argue that NESV are big spenders at Liverpool, but still provide that club with an energy and warmth that makes it feel vibrant not soulless.

To me that club in particular compared to Man City, seems to represent the heartbeat of it's past, whereas a team like Man City represents a disconnect with it's beating past, it's like both those clubs can spend big, but one still comes across as having all the hallmarks of it's vibrant past and the other doesn't.

So I don't think when clubs start spending more than X per season it suddenly makes them soulless, to me that depends on who runs it and how they express themselves and portray themselves.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net