Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Next Up: Sutton United (H)
Posted by: Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 20:09

After today's performance which, over the whole 90 minutes was pants, McNulty has to come pack in for McEveley who considering the level he has played at was a total liability today.

Cooky on his own up front simply won't work IMO, no matter how much his fitness has improved.

Unless Jay Harris had an injury from one of the late tackles on him, I just didn't see the point of bringing Mangan on. I noticed Waring was stripped to come on but, never made it that IMO would have been a better option, as it was pretty obvious the best we could hope for was to salvage a point.

Sutton were bad last year but, even worse in this game almost from the first minute and lets not lose sight of the fact, that their goal came from our mistake loosing the ball in the centre circle and a simple pass through the middle which, I am pretty sure McNulty would have read (he usually does)

Right decision though to retain Tuesday's team from the start.

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 20:17

Quote:
Hoots Mon
The first ten minutes were excellent-chances at both ends. We missed two or three sitters after that,notably Suttons header from Dunn's free kick. Then for some apparent reason play was stopped after the lino on the JK side flagged and the ref and their player Lafayette walked from one side of the pitch and spoke to both managers but no announcement was made. The steward next to me said an allegation of racism had been made presumably by someone in the crowd as none of our players were spoken to. Virtually straight from the restart ,we were asleep and their speedy striker galloped clear of our defence and beat Davies easily.
Sutton were in our faces and we didn't like it. A big hard uncompromising team who liked to dish it out but had some skill too.They'd obviously done their homework on us. They had 2 balding thugs in midfield but their little number 20[Wright?] was their best player.They seemed to have a plan to keep Norburn quiet . 5 of them took bookings for the team when it was necessary,all very similar fouls when our more skilful players had just started off on runs.. We missed chances -a fair few of them in the first half -but after we hit the underside of the bar[2nd half],it looked like it wasn't going to be our day and so it proved.

Second half we were dreadful. Cook was throughout on his own up front -battled well with little support. This was my first chance to see Alabi given a fair go-he was atrocious but wasn't the only one in the second half. When we took Harris off for Mangan,we lost what little bite there had been in midfield

We missed Norwood because he would have got amongst their big guys at the back and run at them which nobody did.

McEveley was very poor[Sutton was better] and couldn't even score an own goal properly at the end when he nodded the ball past Davies.

I was astonished that Hughes was voted our MOM.

Definitely a case of after the Lord Mayors show.....

Alabi should be given his cards Monday morning, he was appalling. I can not belive he is paid to play football. Mceverley wasn't great but he showed glimpses of quality, he'll be good when match fit. Mangan isn't a winger/midfielder he should have come on alongside Cook. Cook didn't threaten the goal much but not for lack of trying service was poor, and everything he got near was just hopeful punts forwards, the one or two quality balls in he rattled the bar and went close in the 1st half, we can't just heap it towards him and hope he'll do something. We need Tollit back and give the lad from stoke a run next game if he's fit.

We don't have enough quality up front, the post that says we have lost money from budget, looks like it when we are signing a striker from Chester. If the Paliai want to avoid us becoming Wrexham they need to pay in and buy quality to pair up with Cook. There 9 would be great alongside Cookie,

Posted by: Tranmere69 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 20:18

Maybe it was a good job I missed the game !Come on Rovers.SWA

Posted by: the kav (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 20:24

If cooks header which almost knocked the goal over had gone in......

Posted by: Phil65 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 20:31

Ugly wins again; the story of the National League. At times we need to sink to low levels to progress e.g. Cook leaving a trailing leg for their keeper to "bring him down" for a nailed on penalty instead of honestly leaping over the challenge; "when in Rome". Honest football won't get us out of this league. Sick of the antics that go on, falling over, feigning injury, time wasting, cynical challenges (Hoots was right about taking cards for the team; nicely apportioned today). The referees are duped every time, instead of occasionally dabbling in the dark arts, let's throw away our principles and join the cheating bar stewards.

Posted by: Old Rover (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 20:38

Quote:
Hoots Mon
The first ten minutes were excellent-chances at both ends. We missed two or three sitters after that,notably Suttons header from Dunn's free kick. Then for some apparent reason play was stopped after the lino on the JK side flagged and the ref and their player Lafayette walked from one side of the pitch and spoke to both managers but no announcement was made. The steward next to me said an allegation of racism had been made presumably by someone in the crowd as none of our players were spoken to. Virtually straight from the restart ,we were asleep and their speedy striker galloped clear of our defence and beat Davies easily.
Sutton were in our faces and we didn't like it. A big hard uncompromising team who liked to dish it out but had some skill too.They'd obviously done their homework on us. They had 2 balding thugs in midfield but their little number 20[Wright?] was their best player.They seemed to have a plan to keep Norburn quiet . 5 of them took bookings for the team when it was necessary,all very similar fouls when our more skilful players had just started off on runs.. We missed chances -a fair few of them in the first half -but after we hit the underside of the bar[2nd half],it looked like it wasn't going to be our day and so it proved.

Second half we were dreadful. Cook was throughout on his own up front -battled well with little support. This was my first chance to see Alabi given a fair go-he was atrocious but wasn't the only one in the second half. When we took Harris off for Mangan,we lost what little bite there had been in midfield

We missed Norwood because he would have got amongst their big guys at the back and run at them which nobody did.

McEveley was very poor[Sutton was better] and couldn't even score an own goal properly at the end when he nodded the ball past Davies.

I was astonished that Hughes was voted our MOM.

Definitely a case of after the Lord Mayors show.....
Have to agree with all of this

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 20:41

Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
sparky100
We where total pants today and I'm fed up with hearing about inept refereeing, get used to it this is the standard in this league, time wasting teams, no different from are own goal keeper who even wastes time when we are losing! We can barely take a throw in to one of our own players. We are already playing catch up with the top teams, just not good enough. To make matters worse I am on the same bloody carriage as the Sutton team on the way back to Euston.

Ask Lafayette why him and the ref walked over from one side of the pitch to the other and spoke to the two managers.

I have seen it posted elsewhere that someone in the JKS called the lino a ''blind t**t''but Lafayette claimed he'd heard ''black'' instead of ''blind''

Re: Awful game by rovers
Posted by: 853OKG (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 21:23

Quote:
goosed
We have a worse team than last season i think poor game today

BINGO. I claim my wininngs for predction league that this type of comment would be first post when tranmere lost.zilch for Woking game.

Posted by: Bolton Rover (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 21:55

Harsh to single out Alabi after 45 minutes of football. But Cook and Alabi don't work together up front. We completely lacked any width in the second half.

Buxton, Jennings and Harris had good games. The rest of the team had an off day. McEvely was poor. Seems to lack pace and resorts to pushing/obstructing players rather than putting in tackles or challenges.

Mickey got his tactics wrong in the second half and that's why we lost today.

Posted by: Cybertron (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 22:15

I made one of my unfortunately rare trips to a home game, and as I drove the 4 hours home I did question why I had bothered.
In fairness the first 20 minutes or so there was some good passing but from then it wasn't at all good. Alabi was without being unkind very poor, looked unfit and looked like he'd have trouble controlling a fart. A lot of the final balls in were not good enough, knocking long balls across the box is unlikely to reap much, as proved today. I don't understand why Hughes and Rides are not on corner duty.
McEverley was very poor at the back, the number of times he put either Davis or other defenders in trouble was terrifying. I'll make a small allowance for the fact that he is new to the joys if the NL but he needs to learn fast. I think McNulty has to come back in as his distribution from the back is much better. I think Norwood should come back as soon as possible, ideally alongside Cook.

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 22:37

On the third game of last season, on this same Saturday a year ago, unfancied Sutton United got another shock win on the road. At Lincoln. The omens are with us! (Got to find a silver lining somewhere..)

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 23:13

Disappointing result, but the team can recover and must win at Guiseley; especially after their trouncing.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: trfc-boi (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 23:46

Yes we are capable of beating Sutton united at home, am sure the players know, they have shown us what they are capable of. Yes it's frustrating, it's just one game, learn from it, deep breathe, and move on.keep the faith !

Posted by: coltranmere123 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 23:54

They should of had at least 2 red cards . The worst footballing side I've seen in a long long time . Time wasted from the off . The ref was the reason for there goal . Running off the pitch becouse his ear piece fell out . JOKE !!! He disrupted our flow . And why the hell did suttons number 9 run off with him ? He was so far up the refs @#$%& only his studs where showing

Posted by: Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2017 23:56

It sounds suspiciously like we didn't have any width and this contributed to a lack of real pressure in the second half and lots of under-performing players. Were we playing a diamond because I wasn't there to see it??

Against rubbish the full backs can advance if we play a diamond and pen the opposition in but this doesn't happen against average to good teams. In fact, once the opposition stop the full backs coming out, everything goes central which is meat and drink to the aggressive/dirty midfields we sometimes face.

Mickey has played with both wingers and wing backs which is definitely an option to strongly consider if Cook is leading the line.

But I do think you are allowed to talk about a 'bad day at the office' as long as we react positively to it and don't let it become a pattern. Remember the team in white that won the first 5 games of last season that changed their manager before November?? It's a long old season!!
#SWA

Posted by: kennyspint (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2017 00:14

Agree with pretty much all the above. Really hate not scoring at home

Re: Awful game by rovers
Posted by: goosed (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2017 04:07

Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
goosed
We have a worse team than last season i think poor game today

BINGO. I claim my wininngs for predction league that this type of comment would be first post when tranmere lost.zilch for Woking game.
I didnt go the woking game hey do u have some sort of love affair for me haha ?

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2017 05:44

I thought we were supposed to be firm favourites with the bookies to be automatic champions??? If we drop points at guiseley, then there will be some very worrying early season concerns.

Posted by: TimmySoft (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2017 07:45

really disappointing showing, especially considering its a 400 mile round trip for me!

We looked decent in the first half,just lacked the final ball. I thought Dunn was excellent in the first half and the only one of our players that looked like he was getting any joy, i would have given him 20 minutes of the second half too, because he's far more creative than Alabi. Alabi looks nervous and for a big guy, he gets pushed around a lot from set pieces.
We really missed Norwood today, he would have caused a lot of problems for the sutton defence.

Fair play to sutton though, they made life difficult, wasted heaps of time and pressed the ref at every opportunity. Its league where anyone can beat anyone now, i still think we're better than most, we're lacking width but once Tollit is back that'll be in the bag.

Posted by: coltran (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2017 08:11

Very poor today but with 129 points still to play for, I'm not getting too despondent yet. Need to make sure we win at Guiseley on Tuesday though.

Current Page: 3 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net