Strikers
Posted by: HardlyYardley (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2017 10:49

I think that champions in this league would have Norwood and Cook as reserve strikers on the bench. We need two from Waring, Alabi and Mangan to be better than Cook and Norwood. Is that likely? Have clubs in higher leagues (or the real challengers in this league) been pursuing any of our strikers?

Re: Strikers
Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2017 12:24

No they wouldn't. Two of the three you name are not better.

Date: 16 August, 2017 12:49

Quote:
Hoots Mon
No they wouldn't. Two of the three you name are not better.

We have five strikers and, as far as I'm aware, none have been wanted by clubs in higher leagues or the likeliest contenders in our league. It's impossible to judge Waring (though MM clearly doesn't think he can turn a game since he's been left on the bench when we really needed a goal) and too soon to be sure about Alabi. But, while I think Norwood and Cook are both good strikers at this level,I don't think that Champions at this level or higher would have them as automatic first choice strikers. You may well be right, but, if you are, I don't think we can win this league.

Date: 16 August, 2017 13:05

Cook was allegedly wanted by Notts County IIRC

Date: 16 August, 2017 13:22

Just seen interview with MM. He says Waring is still coming back from injury. So does that mean he's not fit to play? If so, why has he been on the bench?

Posted by: DCTRFC (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2017 14:08

These players are at this level for a reason. If cook had a better engine and was faster he would be playing higher up.
If Norwood was a more composed finisher with the ball at the floor rather than the standard blast straight at the goalie he would be higher up.
Mangan is a strange one, I like the guy but really don't know what he brings to the table other than a lot of enthusiasm and running.
Alabi looked dreadful on so many levels during the 1 game I got to watch him at Torquay.
Waring I can't comment on as I haven't seen the lad.

Other clubs will be in the same boat.

Posted by: 2 the moon (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2017 15:02

thing with this league is nobody is really sure who the challengers are, there are pretenders but it's so unpredictable. I would go out on a limb and say no club in this league at the moment has the clout to take any player of ours we wanted to keep so therefore I presume nobody would persue them, inquire maybe but not persue.
Cook and Norwood is the way to go for me. There may be better pairings or individuals in this league but it matters not. It's what we've got and in my opinion our best option by some distance. Someone suggested on here that they 'hate' each other which I personally think is bullshit.

Date: 16 August, 2017 15:22

Quote:
HardlyYardley
Just seen interview with MM. He says Waring is still coming back from injury. So does that mean he's not fit to play? If so, why has he been on the bench?
+1

Posted by: Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2017 16:14

Probably because not fit enough to play ninety minutes but could play for a shorter period in the event of emergency, for example three other strikers being injured during game etc. Also being on bench involves him in pre/post match routines etc. Loads of examples at all levels of football of subs being fit for bit part role while not considered for the full match.

Date: 16 August, 2017 17:40

Quote:
Yardleys Cat
Probably because not fit enough to play ninety minutes but could play for a shorter period in the event of emergency, for example three other strikers being injured during game etc. Also being on bench involves him in pre/post match routines etc. Loads of examples at all levels of football of subs being fit for bit part role while not considered for the full match.

Yes, I understand that, but, in MM's post-match interview, he says that he was concerned about the smaller of the two Guiseley centre halves heading away so many balls. If Waring is fit in any meaningful way, wouldn't he have been a better choice than Alabi to come on as a sub and deal with that? Realistically, if you're gong to start with only one striker and you also have two fit strikers on the bench, do you really need a third striker who may or may not be fit? And what does that say about the players who didn't even make the bench?

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2017 19:37

We've really struggled for goals, none of our strikers are 30 goal men and realistically you need 2 30+ goal men, Norwood may have scraped 30 in two seasons together at Rovers. There were midfielders who scored 15 last season.

Posted by: 2 the moon (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2017 19:49

Quote:
Higgosboots
We've really struggled for goals, none of our strikers are 30 goal men and realistically you need 2 30+ goal men, Norwood may have scraped 30 in two seasons together at Rovers. There were midfielders who scored 15 last season.
i wouldn't agree you need 2 30+ men to win this league. Did Cheltenham ?, did Lincoln ?. I would agree though about goals in general. They were or should I say the lack of was our undoing in our first season here. And it hampered us last season imo

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2017 20:19

Thus far strikers have received pretty dire service in 3 of our games.No striker on the current diet of support would be prolific.The build up is laboured and the quality of crosses poor.How often so far have we seen our wide players getting behind defenders?
It is performances so far more than results that is creating anxiety.Except for the Woking game we have not so much been missing chances as missing the creation of chances. We have our fair share of possession but do little with it.This seems a more pressing issue to sort out for otherwise no combination of strikers will thrive

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net