Current Page: 1 of 4
Shambles
Posted by: 2 the moon (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2017 23:29

Was looking for a word and that's what keeps popping in my head.
It is, I'm not being negative just realistic. 8 goals so far is nothing short of woeful. Micky looks beleaguered and the team seems to lack the urgency needed to get any type of result in this league.
He'll get slated no doubt for his post match interview but there's not a lot else he can say. The players were shite but the buck stops with me. I tried to change it and it didn't work.
We've got problems imo, big problems.

Re: Shambles
Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 08:07

Well I have been admonished on a few occasions for using the word shambles ,but a shambles it is ,perfect description for what is going on

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 08:42

I just dont get it and simply dont understand. How in the space of less than 5 months can we go from a wonderful 95 pts and within an inch of regaining our league status to what appears to be a shambolic mess in the first month of this new season. From what I saw of rovers in the bt sports games last season, I think its fair to say we werent playing stunningly entertaining football but it was winning football that was amassing us the points in the table. So why during the summer has it turned to the complete opposite of , no winning football, no amassing the points and dreadful performances with no entertainment value whatsoever.. I just dont get it.. has micky, all of a sudden, turned into a bag of sh*te manager? Are the players 100% to blame? Is the coaching n training set up at the club all wrong? Is mr palios having too much to say in team affairs? Are the new signings simply not good enough or are some of these new signings having a negative and disruptive influence? Is their major disharmony in the camp? Has someone interfered with the water drinking supply at solar campus during the summer? ( only joking on this one ) Or is there some major underlying n deep rooted problem running thru the veins of the club? I just dont get it how we have become like this... OR can we sort things out quickly and the problems are not as bad as they seem ( doesnt seem likely judging by most fans comments so far this season ). I believe the new interim manager at barrow recently stated that he had seen rovers one or two times so far this season and he said that 'we are not far off from clicking and getting things right and overcoming our poor start to the season.' Is there any truth in what he said or is he talking thru his an*s? Dont understand why we have started the season like this. Why has the pain of that defeat at wembley not spurred us on this season? It bloody well should have done!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2017 08:56 by hong kong rover.

Posted by: Itsalldownhillfromhere (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 08:57

We are missing the width and pace that the wingers brought us when they were fit. We look a good team in possession but that possession needs to lead to goals. Perhaps the seeds were sown in the play off final. We were dissapointing then, not creating much, and that seems to have carried over this season. Too many strange signings, Alibi, Waring. and what has Dawson done to MM?

Thank goodness everyone else seems to be all over the place, after all these poor resuts, we are still not too far away from play offs and no one else is racing away with it.

Posted by: Robbie126 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 09:00

Shambles sums it up nicely. And lets be honest, its been like that since Wembley. I said at the time, win or loose, the players have to come off that pitch with no regrets having given 100% to the cause. If they lost to the better team, so be it. But how many of those who played that day could honestly say they gave it their all? I wasn't there but have spoken to many who were and all say we didn't show up. Not acceptable. And, apart from the Woking gamme, they haven't showed up yet this season. For what ever reason and based on Mickeys interview last night they wont play for him. There can only be one outcome to that.

The over reliance on journeymen pros I now believe hasn't helped. Experience they may have but certainly not the motivation to "go again" having come so close last year. Its time for the hungry youngsters to have a go, we have a few although we tossed most aside. Tollitt will help but can't be expected to carry the whole team. We are 10 games in, there is still time but not if we keep the status quo. If Mickey is still around for Ebbsfleet the performance if not the result will tell us if the players are still with him. And after that...Wrexham!

Posted by: Hardly Irons (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 09:02

I feel the turning point last season was Ihiekwe starting runs from the back and distributing or just gaining space upfield.

We need that kind of attacking urgency again. There just feels like there's a lot missing at the moment.

Posted by: mini_andy (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 09:08

It's become a joke, I'm not even sure what the answer is.

We play some lovely football in midfield, built it's all sideways and backwards. Playing nice football doesn't work in this league, we need to be direct.

We need 2 wingers who take players on, get to the byline, cross it in for our strikers. One needs to be attacking the front post, the other the back post. We also need a midfielder bursting a lung to be hitting the penalty spot by the time the cross arrives.

We also need to understand that we are a selling club, and we need to sell some youngsters to survive, so I would play

Pilling
Buxton Gumbs McNulty Clarke
Dunn Harris Norburn Norwood
Cook Waring

Posted by: Gilbert's Fridge (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 09:09

Listening to the Barrow game on Saturday on Wirral Radio, Barrow had a free-kick in the first 5 minutes and the commentator said, "Scott Davies will take the free-kick for Barrow."!!

No wonder we're playing bad, if our goalkeeper starts taking the opposition free-kicks. Yes, I know it was just a slip of the tongue ...

Each week I keep hoping we'll start winning and kick-start our season, but it's not happening. I'm getting a bit worried. Not sure what the answer is.

As mentioned on the other thread, well done to those who went to Maidenhead, excellent support again.

Posted by: Robbie126 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 09:18

Quote:
mini_andy
It's become a joke, I'm not even sure what the answer is.
We play some lovely football in midfield, built it's all sideways and backwards. Playing nice football doesn't work in this league, we need to be direct.

We need 2 wingers who take players on, get to the byline, cross it in for our strikers. One needs to be attacking the front post, the other the back post. We also need a midfielder bursting a lung to be hitting the penalty spot by the time the cross arrives.

We also need to understand that we are a selling club, and we need to sell some youngsters to survive, so I would play

Pilling
Buxton Gumbs McNulty Clarke
Dunn Harris Norburn Norwood
Cook Waring

I would go with that 11. When Tollitt is fit put him in for Norwood. Clarke looked good against Lairds (others just coasted that match, couldnt be bothered) although he was being continuously slated by the senior pros for the odd mistake. Dunn needs to be told to take on his man higher up the pitch. If at first you don't succeed etc etc but never stop trying.

Posted by: borowhite (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 09:36

Somebody mentioned a conversation at the end of our first season in this league with a Grimsby coach (Hootsmon?)who said that our team was too old. In the year and a half since then the club still don't seem to have fully taken that on board, in fact we seem to have gone out of our way to either retain or recruit even more slow and/or old players (McEveley being a particularly glaring example who replaced one of the quickest players in the team). The quicker/younger players we have fit don't get much time on the pitch and the result is one paced, predictable play. Will he go 442 when Tollitt is fit? I think we will start leaking goals heavily if we go to a flat back four with either McNulty or McEveley in it and I think he knows that. I don't envy MM at the moment....

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 10:14

We have lost some Brabin signings and replaced them with inferior players.The manager has put to ether a squad but does not seem to know either his best side or the best formation.It is not as he says misses chances but poor performance that sees us in this poison. Is this a blip or an unravelling.It is beginning to look more like the latter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2017 11:50 by DevonExile.

Posted by: 2 the moon (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 10:30

The lack of goals is alarming to say the least. The emphasis has been on crossing into the box but we only have one genuine aerial threat imo and teams are just lapping it up. Nobody attacking the far post, no follow up play and just no urgency. It sounded though Maidenhead did a job on Rides and Buxton but this isn't rocket science or some super tactic. Also our counter attacking when we do get the opportunity is woeful, absolutely awful. Slow, laboured and quite frankly clueless

Posted by: prentonpete1 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 11:08

Over to you Mr palios

rumours are rife a well known ex player has apparently been spoken too let's see what happens.

Posted by: pez (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 11:23

Quote:
prentonpete1
Over to you Mr palios
rumours are rife a well known ex player has apparently been spoken too let's see what happens.

Where are these Rife Rumours?

Not seen anything at all to suggest this.

Micky Mellon, Ronnie Moore, Aldo were all ex players and failed as Managers, so even if it were true, what would this ex player bring that the other ex players haven't?

I personally don't think Micky is the problem, I think the players just aren't good enough or can't be bothered.

I also think that Cook looks uninterested and is purely running down the remainder of his contract. He has offers on the table and will almost certainly be gone by next summer.

The whole team has just simply switched off, for whatever reason.

I don't know of any ex Rovers player who could come in and turn this mess around and I have not seen anything on social media to suggest that Micky's tenure is up!

A few people linked Challinor with the job a while ago, but judging his role at Fylde, he's no better than Micky and probably has more finances at Fylde?

Clint Hill could step up, but he's unproven in management at any level so would be a huge gamble.

Posted by: prentonpete1 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 11:26

Try Nigel Adkins watch this space.

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 11:34

Quote:
prentonpete1

He was offered it after Brabin went, his wage demands were massive, so unless he's suddenly dropped his asking price or we just won Euro millions I doubt it. I doubt MP can afford to sack MM which in reality may have something to do with the displays.

Date: 13 September, 2017 12:02

Quote:
prentonpete1

Absolute rubbish! Don't know where you're getting this from?

Posted by: dicko111 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 12:24

Pez .Is the transfer window open in January and with all the shambles (good title) has something been sorted behind the scenes as to Cooks departure (he looks like a man in despair) if as reported been offered league football with Notts Cty

Date: 13 September, 2017 12:40

Quote:
dicko111
Pez .Is the transfer window open in January and with all the shambles (good title) has something been sorted behind the scenes as to Cooks departure (he looks like a man in despair) if as reported been offered league football with Notts Cty

Cooks departure will depend on whether or not Micky is still here.

From what I know, Micky and Cook don't get on, but the Chairman likes and rates Cook.

Looks like some intervention from upstairs is forcing Micky to play Cook despite his below par displays?

That in itself is grounds for upheaval and lack of spirit within the club.

I also heard that Cook wanted away in the summer but Palios rejected any bids in favour of keeping him here, another possible reason why Cook looks a bit p*ssed off?

This is only one particular player, I would assume that there may be others who have also gotten on the wrong side of Micky?

There doesn't seem to be a bond there? Its as though they want Micky to be sacked?

It happens in football, Chelsea had the same sort of thing between Costa and Jose. The manager unfortunately usually takes the fall.

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 13:15

Quote:
borowhite
Somebody mentioned a conversation at the end of our first season in this league with a Grimsby coach (Hootsmon?)who said that our team was too old. In the year and a half since then the club still don't seem to have fully taken that on board, in fact we seem to have gone out of our way to either retain or recruit even more slow and/or old players (McEveley being a particularly glaring example who replaced one of the quickest players in the team). The quicker/younger players we have fit don't get much time on the pitch and the result is one paced, predictable play. Will he go 442 when Tollitt is fit? I think we will start leaking goals heavily if we go to a flat back four with either McNulty or McEveley in it and I think he knows that. I don't envy MM at the moment....

You have a good memory borowhite. We miss Ihiekwe big time and,for his forward runs and speed,Vaughan. I still think the moment we lost the playoff final was when the Southport thug broke Vaughan's leg and we had no other wing back to replace him.

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net