Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: A Strange, Sad Fact
Posted by: HardlyYardley (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 18:23

Quote:
Loyden1
Quote:
HardlyYardley
I remember the old wooden stand. I was at a reserve match (I remember us having a reserve team too!) when Mandy Hill made a wild mis-kick, the ball shot into the (sparsely populated) stand and hit a very young lad straight in the face. He disappeared. It was a sheer drop beneath the foot planks. Looking really alarmed, Mandy jumped over the hoardings into the stand. Fortunately, the lad reappeared and was okay.
we used to sneak under the stand the day after a game and pick up all the loose change dropped down the gaps .surprising how much there was.

Wish I'd thought of that. Worrying to think of fag butts smouldering under there, though.

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 19:02

Quote:
HardlyYardley
Quote:
Loyden1
Quote:
HardlyYardley
I remember the old wooden stand. I was at a reserve match (I remember us having a reserve team too!) when Mandy Hill made a wild mis-kick, the ball shot into the (sparsely populated) stand and hit a very young lad straight in the face. He disappeared. It was a sheer drop beneath the foot planks. Looking really alarmed, Mandy jumped over the hoardings into the stand. Fortunately, the lad reappeared and was okay.
we used to sneak under the stand the day after a game and pick up all the loose change dropped down the gaps .surprising how much there was.

Wish I'd thought of that. Worrying to think of fag butts smouldering under there, though.
it was deffo a potentially ticking time bomb.Stan Mathews the groundsman used to chase us.maybe we were stealing his perks !

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 19:23

Spot on Loyden.i gave an insight a while back on how it was 1950s at the game for a young lad .everybody wore a cap and everybody smoked some cigs some pipes so imagine all the stubs dropped in the stands it could have been an earlier Bradford City type fire

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 22:06

Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Spot on Loyden.i gave an insight a while back on how it was 1950s at the game for a young lad .everybody wore a cap and everybody smoked some cigs some pipes so imagine all the stubs dropped in the stands it could have been an earlier Bradford City type fire

I always thought Bury's wooden stand was a fire trap. I remember sitting in it and thinking just that when Ian Muir scored twice and we drew 2-2

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 22:42

Hey hoots if u think about it there's loads we been to that were dodgy.Rochdale doncaster bury (still the same maybe )and on the day of bradford fire I sat in another tinder box at Exeter.

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 23:25

Quote:
Loyden1
Hey hoots if u think about it there's loads we been to that were dodgy.Rochdale doncaster bury (still the same maybe )and on the day of bradford fire I sat in another tinder box at Exeter.

I was at home the day of the Bradford fire-horrifying beyond belief even watching it on TV

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 23:59

I was playing snooker in the argyle snooker club on argyle street when the Bradford fire came up as the headline on the main news on the tv. everyone in the club stopped playing and we all gathered round the tv in the snooker club to watch those awful events..i watched a really interesting documentary a few years ago about the Bradford fire. its believed that they can actually pinpoint from the exact seat where the ciggy butt that caused the fire fell from. apparently it was carelessy discarded from a fan and it fell thru a knothole in the wooden floor of the stand. I can never forget the pictures and commentary from Yorkshire tvs commentator, john helm that day. he was commentating from the opposite side of the ground.. on you tube there is a clip of the original radio broadcast from pennine radio, its absolutely frightening to listen to, pretty sure they were actually in that stand. you can just sense the panic and it ends with the 2 radio commentators having to very quickly evacuate..the then Bradford chairman, stefford heginbotham, who was a local businessman , had had some of his work properties suspiciously go up in flames and a few times he had put in fire insurance claims for his buisnesses but it has been stated that nothing sinister went on at Bradford that day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 28/09/2017 00:03 by hong kong rover.

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2017 00:40

I remember years ago reading about this away fan ( cant remember which club ) and he had driven about 2 hours to Bradford city to watch a game but during his journey the game was called off coz of bad weather, so when he arrived at the ground to be told the news that the game was off, he got back in his car , went and had a look at the house that the Yorkshire Ripper lived in, which is in Bradford, and then turned round for his 2 hour journey back home, lol... the only time I have arrived at a ground to be told that the game was off was back in the early/ mid 80s and we had an evening div 4 game at crewes gresty road. me and my pal drove and we left the wirral about 6pm with light rain in the air,but during the short journey the heavens really opened and it absolutely hammered down, anyway we arrived in crewe about 7pm and could see that the floodlights weren't on and we saw this policeman in his waterproof tunic near the ground, so we pulled over, wound down the window and the copper said sorry lads they've just called the game off about 10 mins ago ( waterlogged pitch ) so me and my pal found a KFC/Wimpy ( cant remember which )in crewe , had some fried chicken and then drove back home.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 28/09/2017 01:04 by hong kong rover.

Current Page: 3 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net