Mentality or player quality
Posted by: Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 21:04

Assuming a playing squad reaches a certain threshold of quality, is it not mentality that is more important?

Think back to last season and the positive vibes that were seemingly ever present from the moment Micky took over. Did this not carry us forward causing our late run for the title?

In fact, consider the terrible run of injuries that we simply shrugged off and kept going, only falling at the very final hurdle?

I am being a little bit disingenuous here because I hold the view that missing a fast and attack minded right wing back is hurting us a lot, but will player acquisition on its own save our skin?

Unfortunately, I think the strong mentality has temporarily gone and team selection/tactical decisions have both contributed to this loss immensely. Whether players are annoyed by the focus on stats we may never know but surely they are affected by all of the chopping and changing.

I honestly think something has gone on behind closed doors regarding summer transfers because there is no way that 5 strikers on the books was a planned strategy. My hairbrained theory is that Cook was expected to head out to Notts County and didn't go. The knock on effect was we couldn't strengthen elsewhere because of a lack of funds and resorted to a desperation signing or two (Rokka and McEverley).

The return of Tollitt will help but it's the mental toughness that I most want to see.

Re: Mentality or player quality
Posted by: Cybertron (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 21:33

Quote:
Kenny_Crons
Assuming a playing squad reaches a certain threshold of quality, is it not mentality that is more important?
Think back to last season and the positive vibes that were seemingly ever present from the moment Micky took over. Did this not carry us forward causing our late run for the title?

In fact, consider the terrible run of injuries that we simply shrugged off and kept going, only falling at the very final hurdle?

I am being a little bit disingenuous here because I hold the view that missing a fast and attack minded right wing back is hurting us a lot, but will player acquisition on its own save our skin?

Unfortunately, I think the strong mentality has temporarily gone and team selection/tactical decisions have both contributed to this loss immensely. Whether players are annoyed by the focus on stats we may never know but surely they are affected by all of the chopping and changing.

I honestly think something has gone on behind closed doors regarding summer transfers because there is no way that 5 strikers on the books was a planned strategy. My hairbrained theory is that Cook was expected to head out to Notts County and didn't go. The knock on effect was we couldn't strengthen elsewhere because of a lack of funds and resorted to a desperation signing or two (Rokka and McEverley).

The return of Tollitt will help but it's the mental toughness that I most want to see.
The team does look very short on confidence, the tactics seem to be very negative at the moment, not sure if that is how they have been told to play or an effect of the lack of confidence. The midfield seems to sit very deep and not get forward to support the strikers, when we have played with wing-backs they have sat deep rather than getting to the line and getting in crosses. The focus on GPS tracking could be a good thing or a bad thing, at the moment it looks like a bad thing. I do wonder if the issues are in part related to the departure of Garnett to Hohhot and Turner to Southport.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net