Current Page: 1 of 4
Next up: Bromley (A)
Posted by: Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2017 21:10

What have Frankie Bunn, Andy Ritchie and Mark Stein got in common? Apart from 'never heard of them Kenny (Joe) you fossil', they are all linked by the type of surface they made their names on - artificial ones to be precise. Back in the 80s though, Bunn and Ritchie at Oldham and Stein at Luton had a significant advantage from the pitch they played on. Cheats pitches is what me and my mates called them as the bounce from goalie bombs caused absolute havoc amongst away defences.

The 1980s saw Luton playing on a 'plastic' pitch in the top division of the league, Oldham in the second tier and Preston in the third. But the 4G surfaces that Bromley, Sutton and Maidstone play on in 2017 are much less of an advantage for the home team. Any team who like to play football should actually look forward to playing one of these teams instead of approaching the game with nervous apprehension.

A perfectly valid reason for the nerves to be jangling though is the presence of old boys Adam Mekki and Ben Chorley in The Ravens line up. Chorley always ups his game against us, and Mekki will have a huge point to prove on the first occasion he faces his former team mates. I expect Adam will get a good reception from the travelling SWA though.

Another thing to cause sleepless nights is obviously the run of form Rovers are currently in. The lack of goals is worrying all of us and this won't be helped by the absence of Andy Cook due to suspension. The return of The Messiah (Tollitt of course) is also likely to be delayed for another match, so attacking duties will fall to the plethora of other forwards we have in the squad.

What I take reassurance from is the sense spoken by Mickey Mellon in the pre-match interview. I have the manager right that it's about taking our chances so maybe Saturday will bring a change in fortune. But I am not stupidly just relying on blind faith ahead of the game - what do you take me for?? I am going to invoke the spirit of Frankie Bunn's chin in a voodoo ceremony on Saturday morning - that will do the trick.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 05:53 by mini_andy.

Re: Next up: Bromley (A)
Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2017 21:14

Quote:
Kenny_Crons
What have Frankie Bunn, Andy Ritchie and Mark Stein got in common? Apart from 'never heard of them Kenny (Joe) you fossil', they are all linked by the type of surface they made their names on - artificial ones to be precise. Back in the 80s though, Bunn and Ritchie at Oldham and Stein at Luton had a significant advantage from the pitch they played on. Cheats pitches is what me and my mates called them as the bounce from goalie bombs caused absolute havoc amongst away defences.
The 1980s saw Luton playing on a 'plastic' pitch in the top division of the league, Oldham in the second tier and Preston in the third. But the 4G surfaces that Bromley, Sutton and Maidstone play on in 2017 are much less of an advantage for the home team. Any team who like to play football should actually look forward to playing one of these teams instead of approaching the game with nervous apprehension.

A perfectly valid reason for the nerves to be jangling though is the presence of old boys Adam Mekki and Ben Chorley in The Ravens line up. Chorley always ups his game against us, and Mekki will have a huge point to prove on the first occasion he faces his former team mates. I expect Adam will get a good reception from the travelling SWA though.

Another thing to cause sleepless nights is obviously the run of form Rovers are currently in. The lack of goals is worrying all of us and this won't be helped by the absence of Andy Cook due to suspension. The return of The Messiah (Tollitt of course) is also likely to be delayed for another match, so attacking duties will fall to the plethora of other forwards we have in the squad.

What I take reassurance from is the sense spoken by Mickey Mellon in the pre-match interview. I have the manager right that it's about taking our chances so maybe Saturday will bring a change in fortune. But I am not stupidly just relying on blind faith ahead of the game - what do you take me for?? I am going to invoke the spirit of Frankie Bunn's chin in a voodoo ceremony on Saturday morning - that will do the trick.

Has Andy Mangan reappeared from wherever he has disappeared to?

You say that Ben Chorley ''always ups his game against us''. I also recall that we usually get good results against whatever team he is playing for-hopefully this will continue on Saturday.

Posted by: stairwaytoheaven (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2017 21:23

Maybe due to injuries and suspensions Micky will be forced into bringing some fresh legs into the starting 11, as he has always said if players do well they will keep the shirt.
Its not as if we aren't creating chances, we may not be scoring many goals but then we aren't conceding many either.
As Kenny says the plastic pitch advantage is not like it used to be and its not like we don't have one to train on.
No reason why we can't sneak this one 1-0.

Posted by: Tranmere69 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2017 21:27

Another good one Kenny !Mekki will be seeking to prove himself. I always liked him .
Is it no Cook = no goals or will we click on the 4 G ?I have to be positive so 1-2 win ! S W A

Posted by: Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2017 21:33

We win 2-0, just to show we can score and maintain solid defence.

Posted by: 2 the moon (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2017 22:02

If they score, we lose. That's just how I'm feeling about us right now

Posted by: aktrfc (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2017 06:15

In Micky we have to trust. We have no other option. 0-2 for us or 2-0 to them with Mekki cutting in from the wing to draw a peno from Big Mac. Then just to top it off, Ben Chorley with a header from a set piece. Heart and head.

Posted by: iagoapcen (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2017 06:29

the day we finally click 4-1

Posted by: mini_andy (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2017 06:50

I have absolutely no confidence going into any match at the minute, so I'll hope we can get a draw!

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2017 07:46

If we do lose lets at least score a goal. Would rather lose 1-2 than 0-1.. I will go for a scoreless or low scoring draw.

Posted by: HardlyYardley (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2017 09:33

According to MM, the pitch "terrifies" our players. You can understand how professionals would be unable to cope with demands which semi-pro players can ; you can understand how professionals wouldn't have practiced on such a surface when several clubs have one and you can understand how professionals would want to get their excuses in early. My suggestion is to play the youngsters then, if our professionals haven't also developed a horror of watching football as well as playing it, they can watch the youngsters play the match, while, hopefully, receiving much-needed trauma counsellng and also seeing their places taken and maybe kept by youngsters who have yet to be afflicted with the terrors which affect our professionals. If only our professionals could develop a terror of being overpaid.

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2017 11:25

As hardly says, terrified players, I can only hope it's some kind of mind game but I'm not sure what book it's from if it is one. I can only see a hammering tomorrow but really hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: chrisprover (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2017 11:32

Yes Hardly I totally agree with you and I think the youngsters would certainly play with more enthusiasm and would be fit enough to track players back etc
I am hoping for a win but at the moment it doesn't look likely i so hope I am wrong.

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2017 11:55

If it terrifies them,then they shouldn't be professional footballers. What a load of baloney. I'll we there wearing my scary mask if they need some help.

Posted by: ADD (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2017 12:15

Quote:
stairwaytoheaven
Maybe due to injuries and suspensions Micky will be forced into bringing some fresh legs into the starting 11, as he has always said if players do well they will keep the shirt.
Its not as if we aren't creating chances, we may not be scoring many goals but then we aren't conceding many either.
As Kenny says the plastic pitch advantage is not like it used to be and its not like we don't have one to train on.
No reason why we can't sneak this one 1-0.
The only problem with that is so far this season MM had not practiced what he has been preaching. Both Duggan and even more so Gumbs did well IMO but then were summarily dropped/ replaced the worst example being McE coming back when clearly not fully fit in place of Gumbs.
It frankly beggars belief that MM actually felt it was ok to say publicly that McE as a professional player would not play Saturday as he would take a week to recover from a match on a 3G pitch. He clearly would prefer just to pick up his cheque for doing nothing.
As to the game I don't know why but I have the feeling MM will roll the dice playing Gumbs and Duggan and Clarke may even see the bench and we will win.

Date: 29 September, 2017 14:15

Fair point about McCeverley their by ADD, I would have to question the medical he was put through and any discussions over fitness with regards to 3G pitches, why have we signed a p,Ayer who can't walk for a week after playing on one when there are 3 3 G pitches in this division, and what on earth is wrong with him for it to affect him that much!

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2017 14:19

If the players were genuinely terrified by the pitch I doubt MM would have told it to the world.

Anyway, law of averages says that we must score the opening goal in a game some day soon and, if we do, the opposition will have to open up a bit. If that's tomorrow, then I fancy a repeat of our 2-0 win last season. If it's not tomorrow, then possibly another 0-0 or 0-1 defeat.

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2017 14:26

Quote:
Higgosboots
Fair point about McCeverley their by ADD, I would have to question the medical he was put through and any discussions over fitness with regards to 3G pitches, why have we signed a p,Ayer who can't walk for a week after playing on one when there are 3 3 G pitches in this division, and what on earth is wrong with him for it to affect him that much!

Could just be a polite way of dropping him without saying he's dropped?

Then again there are some players of a certain age who aren't worth the risk on plastic. For example when Thierry Henry was playing in the MLS he very rarely played in matches that took place on artificial pitches, even though he was fully fit. These surfaces play true nowadays but they do still impact the joints differently to grass.

Date: 29 September, 2017 14:27

Aldo that would make sense but then does MM really need to throwing out the distractions ATM, opponents team talks at the moment must be easy, "these are@#$%&lads there for the taking can't score go do em". It may have been more of a distraction to say we've trained like demons everyone is fit the guys are firing on all cylinders and we're gonna score 6, give Bromley a shot across the bows get them worrying. I think MM mind games are woeful he really should stay away from them.

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2017 16:42

No confidence so 0-0 I thought the new training pitches had a plastic pitch amongst them ,sure I read it somewhere could be mistaken

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net