Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Post Match MM/if you were MM would you start BT
Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 22:41

Quote:
Higgosboots
Yes because the manger made yet another poor decision, when have you ever heard of a player being out 8 months and starting from the off especially in @#$%& wet weather

However some people were hanging their hat on him being a potential linchpin of some turnaround in form and by many accounts he was spot on in terms of physical ability to handle a start, because if the physio says yes he's good to go, why is it Mellon making the poor decision, when he'd be just going by what people with more medical knowledge than him said?

You blaming Mellon for acting on a physio's say-so, is like the public blaming Michael Fish 30 years ago for predicting a non-existent hurricane, when he was just the spokesperson for other peoples stats and data.

Also some people including some on here, were clamouring for him to start and had he been benched and shock horror, not even used, do you think Mellon would have garnered 0% flak for his decision making.

There is the old saying you can't please all the people all of the time, but Mellon is fighting a losing battle, because anything he does regardless of what it is, gets a certain percentage of people on his back, when in the last 7-10 days it could be argued that at the very least, he shouldn't be getting any grief for things that have happened during that time period, only for things happening prior to that time period.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Re: Post Match MM/if you were MM would you start BT
Posted by: pez (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 03:47

I think most managers would have played Tollitt after the run weve been on?

As stated, he will have been assessed by the physio and club training staff to ensure hes fit enough to play.

He even said himself he felt fitter and stronger.

The condition of the pitch was probably a main issue for him and has more than likely set him back a few weeks unless like is being stated, hes fractured his kneecap?

We'll probably find out later at the Pre Match Press Conference.

Ben Tollitt Out
Posted by: steve mungalls Highlights (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 19:10

Heard he might be sidelined for 12 weeks after last night.

Re: Ben Tollitt Out
Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 19:25

Said on his twitter feed last night the "little knock" didn't seem to bad, must admit I whined a little when that lad clipped his foot for the free kick after the injury he's had it's not what you want. Hopefully not out that long, just can not see why he started him, not having the may as well get 30 minutes at the beginning as the end, not really all players are fresh in the first 30 and in game plan mode, they have been told to be right at him, and Ultimatley if you bring him in it's a managers decision as opposed last nights enforced change.

Posted by: steve mungalls Highlights (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 19:30

Think in Mickys defence it was dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. Start him, bring him on 20 to go would it have changed the outcome?

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 19:36

Quote:
steve mungalls Highlights
Think in Mickys defence it was dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. Start him, bring him on 20 to go would it have changed the outcome?

Not sure, think we would all have excepted being told he needs introducing back gently, bigger picture and that, GPS ultimately to blame "His numbers are great". Hopefully he's ok anyway.

Posted by: 2 the moon (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 21:16

The rumours is like the op says 12 wks, fractured knee. Let's hope it is just a rumour

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 21:19 by 2 the moon.

Posted by: Briantrfc (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 21:43

His godfather has confirmed its a fractured knee cap. 12 weeks out. Cant help but feel sorry for the lad!

Posted by: Cybertron (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 21:53

Quote:
Briantrfc
His godfather has confirmed its a fractured knee cap. 12 weeks out. Cant help but feel sorry for the lad!
Well that's not good...I am guessing it could have happened in any game, on the positive side (if there is one) its not a ligament injury again so should be a quicker recovery.

Posted by: BELMONT (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 22:39

Should not have played last night,it was the wrong night to bring him back, A sunny afternoon on a Saturday may have been the right moment perhaps against Chester from the bench.

But last night it was heavy and prolonged rain was forecasted,it arrived during the game and the pitch got heavier for someone who has been out for that long.

If we had been in the top four, winning well I don't think he would have played but Mellon perhaps was pressing a panic button in playing Tollitt wanting something different on the pitch.

A better option may have been to play the lad from Barnsley from the start.

Posted by: aktrfc (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 06:22

Gutted, not just for the lad, but us as well. We have waited this long for some talent, what's 12 weeks.😥

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 07:38

Very poor decision to play him from the start .and not the weather for it .20 minutes against Chester would have made more sense and slowly built the time he played up .i really wonder about Mellon sometimes .once the Barnsley lad leaves we will be back to square one .i don't get this on loan for a month thing ,by the time they have gelled with the team then they leave .

Posted by: DCTRFC (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 08:51

The knee is such a delicate joint. Having had an ACL reconstruction myself this is really bad news. I took a big hit playing footy and while the ACL remained fine (it takes a lot of force to break a new ACL as in theory it is 4 times stronger) the secondary damage to the other soft tissues has caused other issues.

Posted by: Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 08:57

Why is it wrong to play him this week when all the medical advice available says he's fit and ready? The weather was the weather, we cannot only play when it's nice and sunny.

Posted by: Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 09:02

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. Not once, either before the game or while it was in progress, did I hear anyone say that Ben should not have played. Speaking to people prior to kick off and all over social media, everyone was saying they were delighted he was back. He then gets injured, nothing to to do with his previous cruciate injury, and so many are now saying he should not have started, MM has panicked, wrong pitch etc etc etc.

It really seems some people are only happy when criticising.

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 09:12

That's right yardley

Posted by: BELMONT (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 11:19

Quote:
Eric01 Tranmere
Why is it wrong to play him this week when all the medical advice available says he's fit and ready? The weather was the weather, we cannot only play when it's nice and sunny.

That's true we can't always play when it's sunny, but when you have a player coming back after a long layoff on a very wet night and getting worse as the night drew on with the pitch getting heavier even the local forecast predicated long periods of heavy rain.

It was not the right conditions for a come back more like Mellon having a panic on just to change things, if we were playing well and sitting in the top four Tollitt may not have played. Should have played the new lad from the start only because of that weather.

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 14:25

Well said Belmont of course we all wanted him back ,but to throw him in the deep end after such a long lay off was not the right choice 20 mins Wednesday and Against Chester then assessed him again not many players coming back from a long lay off get to start a full game ,to me that's not looking out for the lad ,more like an act of desperation

Posted by: Hardly Irons (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 15:06

Quote:
Briantrfc

A Godfather confirming broken kneecaps.....he probably made him an offer he refused.

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 15:22

As I understand it, this injury has nothing to do with his old injury and nothing to do with the conditions. He said he took a knock. Could happen any time. What's Mellon going to be blamed for next?

Current Page: 2 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net