Current Page: 1 of 5
Next up: Leyton Orient (H)
Posted by: Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 22:35

If there is one (fringe) benefit of still being a National League club, it is the regular television exposure we get via BT Sports coverage of non-league football. In days gone by, we would have hoped that being on the telly may have influenced 'Steve' in Irby/Oxton/Moreton to lay down his LFC mug and support his local team instead. Now, it's just a chance to 'tape' a game that we can re-live again at our pleasure. In fact, when I feel the need for a boost of positivity, I often watch last seasons away win against Chester. Actually, that's a bit of a lie. My boys ask me to put it on and forward it to the pitch invasion bit because they love watching the bloke with the long hair (Jesus), running towards the Chester fans flapping his arms like a bird.

Having said that, TV coverage means that we have to tolerate commentators theorising about our current predicament and generally talking rubbish. I wonder how long John Virgo's lad (Adam) will wait before he says that the fixture should be a league game, or when he says Tollitt for the first time. 'Virgs' is a good bloke actually and engages with fans quite a lot on social media - I think he likes us as well, despite a few recent twitter spats with Rovers fans.

We will probably hear the usual stuff about Orient's poor run of form, our poor start, the recent signing of Dylan Mottley and TRFC about to turn the corner. Fair enough I suppose as air time has to be filled and it's pretty standard to go through stuff like that. But I have unearthed a few nuggets of info that AV might think about including on his crib sheet:

1. Seven days before the famous Exeter game that kept us in the league in 1987, Orient added to our relegation fears by beating us 3-1 at Prenton Park.
2. In 1988-89 when we were promoted into the old Division Three, Leyton Orient came up too through the play offs.
3. (False teeth inserted) From 1985 to 1991 an average of 4661 fans have sat in Prenton Park to watch the two teams battle it out as lower league rivals.

Feel free to deploy these as you see fit, Adam.

The last word needs to go to us though. Mickey Mellon was asked about the status of the game in his post-match comments straight after the final whistle on Saturday, and I make him right in what he said. The manager stated that it's irrelevant that the game 'should' be a league fixture because it just isn't, both teams are non-league and should just get on with it.

Well said, gaffer.

So let's enjoy being on the telly, be proud of our fan base, feel satisfied that we are building the infrastructure of a League One club and go out and win the game. Hopefully the game will then be replayed on hard drives for months to come as evidence of our title credentials. It's ok if there isn't a pitch invasion again though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 07:10 by mini_andy.

Re: Next up: Leyton Orient (H)
Posted by: Tranmere69 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 00:10

Interesting again Going for two wins this week. Both 2-0 S W A

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 02:45

Still not sure good win Saturday but have we turned the corner ,1-1 what about the new signings? It was posted as 4coming in ,any gossip?

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 03:19

Quote:
Kenny_Crons
If there is one (fringe) benefit of still being a National League club, it is the regular television exposure we get via BT Sports coverage of non-league football. In days gone by, we would have hoped that being on the telly may have influenced 'Steve' in Irby/Oxton/Moreton to lay down his LFC mug and support his local team instead. Now, it's just a chance to 'tape' a game that we can re-live again at our pleasure. In fact, when I feel the need for a boost of positivity, I often watch last seasons away win against Chester. Actually, that's a bit of a lie. My boys ask me to put it on and forward it to the pitch invasion bit because they love watching the bloke with the long hair (Jesus), running towards the Chester fans flapping his arms like a bird.
Having said that, TV coverage means that we have to tolerate commentators theorising about our current predicament and generally talking rubbish. I wonder how long John Virgo's lad (Adam) will wait before he says that the fixture should be a league game, or when he says Tollitt for the first time. 'Virgs' is a good bloke actually and engages with fans quite a lot on social media - I think he likes us as well, despite a few recent twitter spats with Rovers fans.

We will probably hear the usual stuff about Orient's poor run of form, our poor start, the recent signing of Dylan Mottley and TRFC about to turn the corner. Fair enough I suppose as air time has to be filled and it's pretty standard to go through stuff like that. But I have unearthed a few nuggets of info that AV might think about including on his crib sheet:

1. Seven days before the famous Exeter game that kept us in the league in 1987, Orient added to our relegation fears by beating us 3-1 at Prenton Park.
2. In 1988-89 when we were promoted into the old Division Three, Leyton Orient came up too through the play offs.
3. (False teeth inserted) From 1985 to 1991 an average of 4661 fans have sat in Prenton Park to watch the two teams battle it out as lower league rivals.

Feel free to deploy these as you see fit, Adam.

The last word needs to go to us though. Mickey Mellon was asked about the status of the game in his post-match comments straight after the final whistle on Saturday, and I make him right in what he said. The manager stated that it's irrelevant that the game 'should' be a league fixture because it just isn't, both teams are non-league and should just get on with it.

Well said, gaffer.

So let's enjoy being on the telly, be proud of our fan base, feel satisfied that we are building the infrastructure of a League One club and go out and win the game. Hopefully the game will then be replayed on hard drives for months to come as evidence of our title credentials. It's ok if there isn't a pitch invasion again though.

Never knew adam virgo was the son of john virgo..wonder if he is as good as his dad at doing impersonations? Johns famous impression of hurricane higgins was class.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 03:21 by hong kong rover.

Posted by: mini_andy (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 06:53

I’ve still no confidence at the minute, I think we might scrape a 1-0 with mr Tollitt coming off the bench to win it.

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 07:50

I think to much pressure is being placed on Tollit even the manager has been referring to him in pre Match interviews. He's only played a few games for us and at the beginning of his time here I recall many critis about his final ball, holding onto it to long etc. Really hope that the usual suspects in the crowd lay off him when he hasn't scored a hatrick after 60 minutes or created 14 goals and just let him get on with getting fit. He can be as fit as he likes on GPS but you can't replace games as the go to mark of fitness and he will need a fair few under his belt.

Date: 04 October, 2017 09:38

+1 spot on

Posted by: BELMONT (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 09:46

Some fan's are putting Tollitt on the same pedestal that Goodison had when he was missing from our defence,yes Goodison earned that type of status after year's of leading the backline with his style and leadership .

So when Goody was missing it showed up that the back.(Sm60)

But in Tollitt we seem think or some fan's are that once he's back in the team all things will turn out fine,I agree he's something that's been missing from the team but to earn that status Goody had it takes more than a handful of game's.

Don't get me wrong I hope Tollitt comes in and blaze's out a route out of this damn league also not to bring him back too soon
if he's not yet ready.

Posted by: Hardly Irons (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 11:45

Loving these write ups, nice one Kenny. The only thing is they give me optimism....so nice one again.

3-1 Rovers. McNulty header amongst them.

Posted by: Cybertron (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 11:51

At some point in the season we are going to get back-to-back wins, so with optimism rather than expectation 1-0, Norwood in the 91st minute

Posted by: dicko111 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 11:56

I have a friend coming up from London who is an Os supporter .Commented on our late goals this season and suggested we stay in the pub until the last 10 mins when the gates open .He doesnt hold out much hope for the Orient getting a result .Fingers crossed

Posted by: the kav (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 12:59

Im taking my nephew who is an athletico madrid supporter tonight, be interesting to hear his opinions on the swa

Posted by: NickNotTheGreek (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 13:34

If Tollit returns tonight I reckon we'll win 6 (Tollit x 6) - 2 (Tollit x 2 og)

Date: 04 October, 2017 15:45

Quote:
NickNotTheGreek
If Tollit returns tonight I reckon we'll win 6 (Tollit x 6) - 2 (Tollit x 2 og)

Have you got Tollit down as ref, Liner x2, Physio and Dr? (Sm22)

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 16:16

Quote:
the kav
Im taking my nephew who is an athletico madrid supporter tonight, be interesting to hear his opinions on the swa
"que esta pasando tio ?

Posted by: Hardly Irons (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 16:36

Quote:
Hardly Irons
Loving these write ups, nice one Kenny. The only thing is they give me optimism....so nice one again.
3-1 Rovers. McNulty header amongst them.

My scoreline may depend on tonights weather actually, we're looking at 40mph winds and a downpour - changing to 1-0 to us, still McNulty

Posted by: stairwaytoheaven (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 17:16

I'm thinking a 2-0 home win tonight, I'm guessing we will have at least one winger playing so maybe better service to Nors and maybe the midfield will get forward.
Noticed Maccs are top with a goal difference of plus 1, crazy league this season.

Date: 04 October, 2017 17:30

We have to win tonight, little gap starting to form between the division and the top 4, win puts us 3 points of a play off spot and 7 from top.

Date: 04 October, 2017 17:31

And good luck to them Macc are playing attacking football so deserve to do well .in my fog filled past wasn't that What Tranmere used to do it ,always remember them getting over the halfway line at least ,those were the days 😡

Posted by: the kav (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 18:33

Quote:
Loyden1
Quote:
the kav
"que esta pasando tio ?

Had to get him to translate that for me....

Current Page: 1 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net