Current Page: 1 of 2
Goals Needed
Posted by: HardlyYardley (IP Logged)
Date: 09 October, 2017 13:10

Had a look at the ten previous seasons' National League tables. The champions sometimes scored more than 100 goals, often more than 90 goals and, with one exception (a season when there were fewer matches) always more than 80 goals. Obviously, this is hypothetical since a team which won every match 1-0 would automatically be champions with only 46 goals, but let's say that, realistically, if we are going to be champions (the only guaranteed way to be promoted) we need to score a minimum of 80 goals. Currently, we have 11 goals from 15 matches. Theoretically, we need another 70 goals from 31 matches. That's over 2 goals per game. Of course, this may turn out to be a freak season with the lowest-scoring champions ever, but I think this does indicate how much of a turn around we need.

Re: Goals Needed
Posted by: dicko111 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 October, 2017 13:48

It is a bad stat but yet again man of the match is the opposition goalkeeper(at least 5 times this season) .It is also a stat that we are mean defense .Keep Cookie and Norwood together and stop swapping and changing and hopefully the goals will come

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 09 October, 2017 16:48

I just pray to god we never need to rely on this fella for goals. His name is Dennis Van Duinen and he plays for the Dutch 4th division team, Harkemase Boys.. There is a clip on the BBC footy website with him missing what I would have to describe as the worst miss ive ever seen. sorry but I don't know how to post the clip on to the forum, so if anyone can help me out that would be great. it just has to be seen to be believed.

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 October, 2017 17:17

Could be mms latest DVD !

Date: 09 October, 2017 17:24

video: [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41558174[/url]

It's here. Great clip.

Posted by: BELMONT (IP Logged)
Date: 09 October, 2017 18:38

Quote:
dicko111
It is a bad stat but yet again man of the match is the opposition goalkeeper(at least 5 times this season) .It is also a stat that we are mean defense .Keep Cookie and Norwood together and stop swapping and changing and hopefully the goals will come

The opposition goalkeeper's may have had man of the match ,but they get this because our strikers hit the ball straight at him,you have to make them work for man of the match our lot of missfiring so called strikers don't.
They are not good enough but we are stuck with them our goals column is so bad we won't win promotion if this stays like it is poor.

Posted by: acc928 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 October, 2017 18:50

Hope you dont mind Hardly but I couldnt open it, I think its the bracketed url at each end. Here is the link again using the adress you found, thanks to yourself and HKR...

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: 09 October, 2017 18:57

Quote:
acc928
Hope you dont mind Hardly but I couldnt open it, I think its the bracketed url at each end. Here is the link again using the adress you found, thanks to yourself and HKR...
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Thanks acc928. I can't remember ever seeing a worse miss from a Rovers player. Anyone?

Posted by: Wozza (IP Logged)
Date: 09 October, 2017 19:03

Quote:
HardlyYardley
Quote:
acc928
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Thanks acc928. I can't remember ever seeing a worse miss from a Rovers player. Anyone?
cole Stockton at Wembley comes close 😪

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 09 October, 2017 19:38

Scott Taylor's open goal miss against Ipswich (I think) at PP?

Date: 09 October, 2017 21:40

Quote:
acc928
[www.bbc.co.uk]

The player is a natural striker who would fit in well in our forward line.(Sm22)

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 10 October, 2017 07:56

Quote:
acc928
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Thks acc928 and Hardly.

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 10 October, 2017 21:28

Quote:
dicko111

Let's not go OTT on things whilst he was MoTM Saturday he never made an worldies, quite the opposite, we let him out of jail with the one on ones just toe poking them straight at him, the other saves I would have expected any keeper to make and would probably be critical if they never. We can't just keep Cookie an Nora together and hope it will change, I'd probably play Cook but Norwood has shown time an again he's not up to it, he will score a stunner then miss ten sitters. If Cookie is in we've got to get to the byline and stick the ball into him on the 6 box.

Posted by: TranmereFan (IP Logged)
Date: 10 October, 2017 21:44

Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
dicko111

Let's not go OTT on things whilst he was MoTM Saturday he never made an worldies, quite the opposite, we let him out of jail with the one on ones just toe poking them straight at him, the other saves I would have expected any keeper to make and would probably be critical if they never. We can't just keep Cookie an Nora together and hope it will change, I'd probably play Cook but Norwood has shown time an again he's not up to it, he will score a
stunner then miss ten sitters. If Cookie is in we've got to get to the byline and stick the ball into him on the 6 box.

Didn’t Norwood score the winning goal in the last 2 wins?

Posted by: Will oulton (IP Logged)
Date: 10 October, 2017 21:52

You've hit the nail on the head with Norwood, his finishing is getting worse.

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 10 October, 2017 21:57

Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
dicko111

Let's not go OTT on things whilst he was MoTM Saturday he never made an worldies, quite the opposite, we let him out of jail with the one on ones just toe poking them straight at him, the other saves I would have expected any keeper to make and would probably be critical if they never. We can't just keep Cookie an Nora together and hope it will change, I'd probably play Cook but Norwood has shown time an again he's not up to it, he will score a
stunner then miss ten sitters. If Cookie is in we've got to get to the byline and stick the ball into him on the 6 box.

Didn’t Norwood score the winning goal in the last 2 wins?

Yes, having treated us to at least two of his customary one on ones before that, an if I'm not mistaken there was another display of "Vintage Norwood" against Chester, he even managed to get the loaner in on his act. A poor mans Chris Malkin!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2017 22:06 by Higgosboots.

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 10 October, 2017 23:07

Remembering of course that Malkin was an accomplished Championship level player and we're nowhere near there now. In the National League give me a Norwood in the side every time, and his strike rate of 1 in 2.5 games isn't to be sniffed at. Yes he misses his share of one on ones but then so did Ian Muir.

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 00:29

People are expecting a winger cum striker to be an out and out striker. Norwood's not an out and out striker. If you want one of those you have a Howarth or an Aldridge.

People yearn for the Nevin and Morrisey days, but truthfully if King had tried to utilise one of them as a strike partner for Aldo or Muir, do you think they'd have bagged 20 a season, or got a bit of stick for missing a few one on ones?

It's almost like some people are confusing the quality and potential of some of the current players, with that of players from 20 years ago and wanting too much out of some current players; irrespective of the quality of league opposition faced.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 00:35

Who remembers malkin goal at wembley best tranmere day of my 2000+ games. Sitting next to my dear departed dad who's knees knocked for the last 10 min. I will treasure that day thanks chris malkin .

Date: 11 October, 2017 10:00

Quote:
Loyden1
Who remembers malkin goal at wembley best tranmere day of my 2000+ games. Sitting next to my dear departed dad who's knees knocked for the last 10 min. I will treasure that day thanks chris malkin .

I also remember the shot that hit the crossbar the noise of it echoed round Wembley,but as you state I remember Malkin's goal and the longest ten minutes of extra time that lasted or felt like it for around half and hour.

It was like a TARDIS effect time stood still.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net