Current Page: 1 of 3
Next up: Aldershot (A)
Posted by: Kenny_Crons (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 21:21

What a nice feeling it is to have had a week where we could revel in a good away win and a continuation of an unbeaten run. That was until Mickey Mellon 'ruined' it all with his announcement that we were not in the race for Stourbridge's Jordan Archer. That sparked off a flurry of conspiracy theories about the real reason for not continuing our interest, with Mickeys answer of 'pursuing other areas' seemingly not plausible enough.

To make matters worse, news of James Alabi going on loan to Dover has fanned the flames a bit more - 'giving our rivals a player' and 'poor recruitment' just two gripes I have heard. I thought maybe we weren't reinforcing failure by moving a player on who has not settled and needed game time to build confidence (that's code for he is rubbish by the way).

This all brings us nicely onto the matter in hand, a game against Aldershot in the National League.

Memories are generally positive when the Shots come to mind. Both of the play off games from last season are ones to remember fondly, particularly the away leg which is the last time I have been totally relaxed watching the Rovers. Their pitch is a nice surface too and they also play football so enjoyment of the game is more of an expectation than a hope.

It feels like they, like us, have struggled to cope with the expectations of success and have stuttered along a bit so far. Sir Adam Virgo waxed lyrical during the play offs and tipped them to have a great season. If only it were that simple, AV.

Perhaps they have found it difficult to replace key players with loanee Benyu no longer there and Bernard Mensah injured or out of form. Benyu was quite instrumental in their success last season and seemed to make them tick, so maybe his absence is more of a significant loss than anyone first thought.

Both teams then face similar problems on and off the pitch with expectations proving to be a bit of curse. We both also have to handle media speculation about why we aren't at the top of the league.

We live in a news rich environment so speculation on our every move is to be expected I suppose. But the only news I am interested in tomorrow is how many goals we score and if the impending doom of Storm Brian will affect the fixture.

Hope we don't hear the news of an Alabi goal though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2017 14:58 by mini_andy.

Re: Next up: Aldershot (A)
Posted by: mb53trfc (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 23:11

Thanks Kenny. The win at Halifax looked good and felt good too. I'm feeling more optimistic than pessimistic about the game tomorrow and hope its not called off due to the weather. Will be listening on Wirral radio. Looking forward to one of my 'home' games on Tuesday night at Hartlepool.

Posted by: Tranmere69 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 23:22

Another good post Kenny. Aldershot don't worry me but Storm Brian might ruin our weekend.Otherwise going for a 0-2 win and Alabi being subbed by Dover.

Posted by: mini_andy (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 06:44

Another local(ish) match for me that I won’t be attending. Instead I’ll be tuning into Wirral radio, whilst lying on a sun lounger in Menorca.

I’m feeling confident about this one. They like to play football the right way. I sense a 1-3 with Norwood, Jennings and Hughes getting the goals.

Posted by: Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 07:02

We'll win 2-0, one in each half, Jennings first and then Norwood 10 minutes to go.

Posted by: acc928 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 07:16

Just getting ready to drive down, hope 'Brian' doesnt ruin our day. Remember the play off semi first leg, the weather didnt affect us that day. Hoping for another good win...

Posted by: sparky100 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 08:52

Only live 30 minutes away and the sun is shining although quite breezy. I think 'Brian' has fizzled out.

Posted by: 853OKG (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 09:40

Quote:
Eric01 Tranmere
We'll win 2-0, one in each half, Jennings first and then Norwood 10 minutes to go.

After norwood misses 8 one on ones he scores a miraculous hslf cross that "Brian" steers into top corner...

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 10:02

Halifax is a swallow that does not make a summer .getting better but nothing to write home about 0-2 Aldershot

Posted by: BELMONT (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 12:19

Heard Buxton not traveled with squad,injured or rested even going out on loan?

Any one else heard about this the (out on loan bit tounge in cheek)but rested or injured even dropped?

Posted by: Hardly Irons (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 12:24

0-0 I reckon

Posted by: ADD (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 13:10

Interesting team selection....
Duggan and Clarke starting. Buxton and Ridelagh are both injured. Cook only substitute. No midfield cover on bench

Posted by: pez (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 13:14

Norwood up front on his own?

Not enough of a threat up front to mount any serious threat on the Shots back line imo.

May have to bring Cookie or Mangan into the mix at some stage.

Good to see the youngsters getting a start though.

Posted by: ming05 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 13:29

Can't be bothered with getting excited with games the season is already over . 15th place finish for us.

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 13:31

interesting line up

Posted by: ming05 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 13:35

Mangan can't score if life depended on it and cook can't be bothered and Norwood is well Norwood either play blinder or just be offside alot. Defence looks iffy today as well.
Hopefully im wrong but could be big loss today .

Date: 21 October, 2017 13:48

big test for the 2 young full backs today

Date: 21 October, 2017 14:16

get in 1 up

Posted by: Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 14:58

Quote:
Eric01 Tranmere

OK, so not Jennings but a goal is a goal, just need Mr. Norwood to finish it off.

Date: 21 October, 2017 15:40

oh bollox

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net