Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Next Up: FC Halifax Town (H)
Posted by: ADD (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2017 17:43

So so much better today!
Was surprised to see that McDonagh was starting but he had a great game. Why he can't head the ball is beyond me as he is very strong on the ground but he put in a massive shift, with lots of good touches and could well have shaded DMH for MOM in my book but then I suppose he didn't score. Looked like to me he had a cast iron penalty shout turned down mind you.
Norwood was at his best whilst on with 2 good goals and of course an absolute sitter of a miss.
DMH played great today - definitely his best performance for us. Total commitment and great energy - now seems fully up to speed and match fit.
Cole was clearly not match fit which is to be expected but he looked to have great touch, linked up well with McDonagh and will surely improve and be an asset if he keeps this up.
Duggan I also felt had a great game and against a very lively number 7 Kosylo who was quick and kept going for the full 90 minutes. Interesting decision for MM but if I was Duggan I would expect to keep my place this time when Buxton returns.
Ok then the negatives before I get carried away with things! We conceded 2 poor goals with slack marking and Halifax really are a very poor side. That said great result today however you cut it.

Posted by: the kav (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2017 17:47

Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Well done rovers .could be we have unearthed some good players if we can keep DMH for the season that would be good .

Got him till jan mate

Date: 28 October, 2017 17:48

Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
the kav
Mcdonagh was immense today as were the wingers.
Was the mcdonagh incident a peno? I was at the other end of the ground

hi kav, wirral radio were absolutely dumbfounded that we didn't have a penalty

We all thought so too but i can be slighty partizan lol so i thought i would double check

Posted by: kennyspint (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2017 17:50

Good effort from the players today. Definite penaity viewed from the Kop. I thought Connor was ok but got very little space to work in. Great to watch some fast skillful football

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2017 17:54

Doubt if we could sign dmh Barnsley got for the future.bet lots of us where gobsmacked when mm pick Mcdonagh before cook.I was and wonder did wirral radio say same .he played very well and it was a stonewall penno against him.

Date: 28 October, 2017 18:06

Cook had a massive fit when cole replaced norwood , he punched the corner flag and was moaning to himself. The supporters in the paddock were shouting he should be on and he was turning round and nodding in agreement

Posted by: FairKop (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2017 18:58

I'm sorry but Cook hasn't shown any reason he should be in the team every week. It doesn't matter what he did last season, this season he's been very poor but some fans ignore that and call Micky clueless (or words to that effect) when he benches him. The movement in and around the box today with McDonough up top was better than tuesday at Hartlepool with Cook up front (not that we played particularly bad against Pools, I actually think we were the better side). It seems clear to me from his lack of effort when he plays that he no longer wants to be at the club so I think it's time for him to move on. We've replaced much better strikers than Cook and will again.

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2017 19:09

Cook did for himself when he had an on pitch Barney with the penalty taker and missed it. Higgy commented on Wirral radio that there will be reasons why Cook isn't starting Cook. Ultimatley Micky was vindicated today, we scored 4 goals, he played Tuesday we scored 1 goals. Whilst Cook does score a few his goal ratio isn't above and beyond and Norwood, Cole and McDonught offered much much more in all the other aspects of their game in respects of giving the defence something to think about about, we looked really dangerous with McDonught and Norwood up top and Cole found those little pockets of space which makes defenders think, We haven't had anyone here since Ryan Lowe to do that, if he continues to improve we don't want to mess around on extending the contract.

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2017 19:40

Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
Stewsydney
Norwood off for cole , cook gettinng splinters on the bench 😆
Almost as much as the Cook fanatics ;0)

And Cook himself wasn't exactly chuffed about it.

Posted by: Gilbert's Fridge (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2017 19:40

Just read the BBC report on the match ... I quote ...

"Norwood was replaced by new signing Larnell Cole in the 25th minute ... That came a minute after Matty Brown's header had made it 2-1 early in the second half."

So a minute before Norwood was replaced (25th minute), Halifax scored (in the 2nd half)!!!

Great reporting!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/10/2017 19:42 by Gilbert's Fridge.

Date: 28 October, 2017 19:41

Quote:
hong kong rover
sounds like norwood could have had a hat trick already

Both him and their defender kicked fresh air right in front of their goal when it was easier not to.

Date: 28 October, 2017 19:46

Quote:
hong kong rover
wow bloody hell we are scoring some goals, sounds like we are playing well but on the other hand Halifax sound shite

Their defence wasn't too good but give them some credit,they had a real dart at us during the second half and looked quite decent going forward-their star player was their little number 7 Kosylo who gave Duggan a very hard 45 minutes. He was obviously specifically moved there after half time as he didn't play there in the first half. The guy on the other wing was lightning fast too. It was by some way the most entertaining game I've seen this season-the score could have been anything.

Date: 28 October, 2017 19:48

Quote:
the kav
Mcdonagh was immense today as were the wingers.
Was the mcdonagh incident a peno? I was at the other end of the ground

The clearest ''non'' penalty of the season so far.

Date: 28 October, 2017 19:59

DMH's goal was a joy to behold.Charged down the full backs clearance on the half way line-and sped quickly towards their goal.Never a thought of passing,eyes on the advancing keeper,slipped it expertly past him into the net. Never a chance he was going to miss. Superb.

The moment of the match

Posted by: chrisprover (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2017 20:00

Great win and performance listening on Wirral radio, the new signings sound good too would love it if we could keep Motley henry
Lets get on a run now

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2017 20:01

Quote:
Hoots Mon
DMH's goal was a joy to behold.Charged down the full backs clearance on the half way line-and sped quickly towards their goal.Never a thought of passing,eyes on the advancing keeper,slipped it expertly past him into the net. Never a chance he was going to miss. Superb.
The moment of the match

will look forward to seeing the goals on you tube in the next day or two, hoots

Posted by: Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2017 20:09

Very good all round performance could and should have been out of sight at half time.

I thought Gerry McDonagh had a very good game actually looked like a centre forward today and linked the play pretty well but, for a biggish lad poor in the air.

DMH, despite the new signings, must be kept if it all possible on loan. Lornell Cole had a decent debut and looks promising.
Only disappointment conceding two preventable goals.

Posted by: HardlyYardley (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2017 22:13

Good result from playing attacking football at pace - i.e. what many of us have been calling for all season. Hopefully, with the new players, we won't return to the boring, negative style which has failed us up to now. The way results have been going, it is still possible (though it wouldn't have been in other seasons) to recover from our start and aim to be champions, the only guaranteed way out of this league.

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2017 22:31

A great result, but I'm sure Mellon will pick them up on the concessions, but despite Norwood getting a head injury Cole comes on and scores on debut and Motley Henry gets 1 so Mellon's recruitment choices are starting to look a bit more healthy, in terms of the reputation they're giving him, as he's been largely getting stick for recruitment and it's understandable some might have felt inclined to do that in the last few weeks.

Hopefull in 2 weeks Green may feature and make an impact perhaps, but a great result and it's another step in the right direction. The gap to the top is only 9 now and 4 to the playoffs and it's now 10 points from the last 6 games, which isn't too bad especially compared to what happened in the first 6 games

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: kennyspint (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2017 23:58

Micky got it right today I think

Current Page: 3 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net