Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Alabi
Posted by: TranmereFan (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2018 18:21

Quote:
rossb07
Speculatively, he could do a job in the league up with us as we'd need to be a more counter-attacking team.
All being said, i won't be writing him off just yet. He's still a Rovers player under contract until 2019 after all...

Hear hear! Still remember Chester away when he looked the most dangerous player on the pitch for Chester.

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2018 19:29

Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
pez
Let's hope someone comes in for Alabi during the Summer as I fail to see how he fits into our team. There are a few others that also need to go for the same reason.

The hard thing would be if Alibi went somewhere else in the NL and bagged 4-5 in his first 10 games, because then you wonder why he couldn't do that for you, especially if it was a club perceived not to have quite as much overall squad quality as Tranmere, as that should then in theory hinder his ability to score more than help.

There is no theory to football, it’s widely accepted that it’s harder to perform at top at the top clubs due to pressure so no one would wonder at all.

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2018 00:14

Well yes the pressure would be there, but I still think some people would scratch their heads wondering why he could make a step up to a club with a slightly higher wage structure and player quality and not at least bag as many as he did at Chester.

After all why didn't Cook come to Tranmere and struggle after Barrow. I'm not sure Barrow had the finances to match Tranmere's wage structure, or they could have offered him another 10-20% to stay, but some say had he not had the injury he could have bagged 28-30 goals.

He arguably stepped up to a more pressurised situation, because Tranmere were expected to get back to the league, Barrow weren't, but Cook didn't struggle, so maybe Alibi did because any added pressures rested less easily on his shoulders than Cook's.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: rossb07 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2018 00:23

I think you're correct in that thinking Matt.

Could make something about play styles of different teams also but it's been covered again and again.

Still think he wasn't a terrible signing even given the circumstances in that he offered something different to what we had, but this season has probably been a defining one for him.

We'll have to see..

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2018 00:26

On paper he looked like a potentially good signing on the current evidence at the time, but of course when a small percentage use hindsight to lambast a manager for a signing, it's never an objective strategy by said people.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: mini_andy (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2018 00:33

At present, JA is warming the bench at Dover. So that’s 2 teams he’s fallen out of favour from. Was last season just a freak season for him?

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2018 21:45

Any manager can make one bad signing and Alabi falls into that category.They should only be judged on the number of bad signings they make

Posted by: coltran (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2018 09:27

The Dover v Leyton Orient game was the only NL game played yesterday. I noticed that Alabi wasn't even on the bench, unless he's injured or has he returned to PP?

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2018 17:49

I just wish we could forget all about him I cannot see him ever hVing a role to play at Rovers

Posted by: rossb07 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2018 23:11

He has a contract for another year and a half. No point forgetting about him until he's moved on permanently.

Posted by: Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)
Date: 05 March, 2018 10:31

It's a shame that Chester are in such trouble, as it seems a loan move back to Chester would be the best thing for all parties. He was clearly playing at his best there, now that Chester have a fee (and he bigged them up, not us) there's no need for bad blood, and if he performs there someone will take him on a free in the summer.

Having him watch Dover does nothing for his career, and means we have a wage to shift in the summer which might be tough if he cannot get the wages we're paying elsewhere.

Posted by: pez (IP Logged)
Date: 05 March, 2018 11:46

Waring has had even less playing time in a Rovers shirt so by default he too must be shipped out in the summer?

Then there's jack Dunn who although looked like he had improved in his last game, , he has been in the wilderness for most of the season.

Seems a bit harsh to just single out Alabi, when there are so many players who need to be moved on.

Posted by: Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)
Date: 05 March, 2018 12:01

In a thread about other players similar comments might well be made. There is an irony here though that we want to ship out Alabi and Waring so that we have money to bring in a new centre forward - how did the ones we brought in last season (when the Stockton wages were freed up) work?

It may well be that the most effective thing we can do is buy the players who Alabi, Waring and/or Dunn can perform with, rather than writing them off.

Current Page: 5 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net