Current National League Table
Posted by: coltran (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 15:52

When people say that the National League is there for the taking this season, that is certainly true. Macclesfield are currently top with 59 points from 32 games. More often than not, the team leading any division at this stage has gained a points total of significantly more than at least twice the number of games played. It does not necessarily mean that the league is weaker this season. In fact, the reverse could be true in that the league is in fact stronger. In a way, we are lucky to be still in with a chance of finishing top (for the first time in 80 years), as with our current points total we would more often that not be about 15 points off the top, instead of only 4 points as it stands. Let's hop we can take advantage, finish top and get out of this hell-hole of a league.

8Re: Current National League Table
Posted by: 2 the moon (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 16:30

Still a tall order for me. Of course the teams with games in hand won't win them all but if for example Macc win theirs its a 7pt gap which is massive at this stage.
Not being negative and i think we've done extremely well to come from 18th in october but i honestly think the poor start has cost us.

Re: 8Re: Current National League Table
Posted by: coltran (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 16:58

So do I, it's more likely that we'll be in the play-offs but you never know.

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 18:40

Latest odds . . Sutton 9/4. .aldershot 3/1 . Tranmere 4/1 macc4/1wrxm 12/1.

Re: Current National League Table
Posted by: WWStandsure (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 20:43

Have a look at remaining fixtures - quite interesting at least, take into account a couple of red cards last Saturday.... Very Interesting, very, very interesting to note our run in now. (and a full fit squad - none of the eight out injured like last season).

Posted by: mill park white (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 22:33

6pts out of 15 for away fixtures so far in 2018 is not the form of champions elect. We'll be at Wembley 12 May.

Posted by: Cybertron (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 23:11

Quote:
2 the moon
Still a tall order for me. Of course the teams with games in hand won't win them all but if for example Macc win theirs its a 7pt gap which is massive at this stage.
Not being negative and i think we've done extremely well to come from 18th in october but i honestly think the poor start has cost us.
I agree it is a tall order, and that poor start has certainly cost us. Its got to the time in the season when I start looking at all the top teams form and remaining fixtures. There are teams at the top playing each other and teams at the bottom who are finding form, Leyton and Solihull for example, having been at Leyton its hard to see why then are so low in the table. Looking at our remaining fixtures I think we will end at best around 85 points, for me not enough to be champions, should be enough for 2nd or 3rd, which is a good place to be in the playoffs. Having said that, this season has been an unpredictable one, a 13 game winning run would be great right now, the home games shouldn't be a problem, given the scoring rate recently.

Date: 11 February, 2018 23:25

Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
2 the moon
I agree it is a tall order, and that poor start has certainly cost us. Its got to the time in the season when I start looking at all the top teams form and remaining fixtures. There are teams at the top playing each other and teams at the bottom who are finding form, Leyton and Solihull for example, having been at Leyton its hard to see why then are so low in the table. Looking at our remaining fixtures I think we will end at best around 85 points, for me not enough to be champions, should be enough for 2nd or 3rd, which is a good place to be in the playoffs. Having said that, this season has been an unpredictable one, a 13 game winning run would be great right now, the home games shouldn't be a problem, given the scoring rate recently.
My thinking is our next blip will be the end. It's definitely a missed opportunity in my opinion. Poor recruitment and trying to rotate our best goalscorer for me are the two key reasons we started so poorly.
Don't get me wrong as it stands we're in it but for me it's asking a bit much for all 5 teams to have blips.

Posted by: TranmereFan (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 23:40

Don’t think all 5 teams need to have blips, we just need to keep our form in. No reason why we can’t go on a winning run, especially with a pretty much fully fit squad.

Posted by: Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 10:18

Kingy used to talk about not looking at the table until the latter stages, and then trying to win the mini-league at the end.

So with 13 games to go, we have to get:

4 more points than Macclesfield (who have 14 games)
3 more points than Aldershot (who have 14 games)
2 more points than Wrexham
Get as many points at Sutton (who have 15 games)
Lose no more than 2 points to Boreham Wood (who have 14 games)
Lose no more than 3 points to Fylde
Lose no more than 4 points to Bromley and Dover (who both have 14 games)

How many of those things seem realistic? How many seem difficult?

I doubt that we will fail to do more than 2 of those things, so we should be at home in the play-off semi at least. I'm not seeing anything there which is scary and makes me think we won't win the title.

Posted by: Aldo40 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 16:36

I think it's all about what we do and of course other results can help but we can't rely on
other teams.
We have reached the stage were we need to try and win every game,which I believe is the
intention.
A valuable point at Orient or 2 points dropped? Judging by MM's press conference,the latter
as enough chances were created to have won the match.
We need to be winning more on the road and hopefully maintain the excellent home form,aided
by the wonderful support which can be our 12th man.
Needless to say victory over Macc & The Shots is vital,but every victory is priceless!

Posted by: velico (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 18:02

can not see any other result than an Aldershot title win myself like.

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 19:11

Well velico they got 2 play macc wrxm brom bwood us and Sutton. And a few teams fighting for survival. So big task 4 them. It's going to be a fight to the end for us,them and a few others

Posted by: velico (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 22:30

best all round team for me tho, hope I am wrong and its us just can not see it.

Date: 12 February, 2018 23:17

Quote:
velico
best all round team for me tho, hope I am wrong and its us just can not see it.
They'd be my pick. I think we will be looking at 3rd or 4th. We got 29 out of the last 13 games last season which was an outstanding effort. That gave us 95pts. This season it would give us 84

Posted by: CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 08:29

At the current run rates I figured 84 points would be enough for us to win it on goal difference.

That was before the weekend's results though so maybe it's closer to 85 now.

Remember we're in competition with those around us - not with our own performance last season.

Date: 13 February, 2018 08:41

Quote:
CaptainFriendly
At the current run rates I figured 84 points would be enough for us to win it on goal difference.
That was before the weekend's results though so maybe it's closer to 85 now.

Remember we're in competition with those around us - not with our own performance last season.
Of course, But that is the kind of finish we would require to be in with a shout. Better that and we could well win it.
Definately a one game at a time scenario. 2 home games coming up and you would think 6 points is a must.

Posted by: CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 15:21

Oh yeh. Two home wins now against quality opposition and we'll be odds on favourites surely.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net