Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Sutton United and their pitch
Posted by: HardlyYardley (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2018 18:49

My guess would be that, if they do go up, one way or another, Sutton (or Bromley or both) would take their place(s) in Div. 2 - otherwise, it would signal a very clear limit on their ambition(s) which would probably adversely affect the fairly small fan bases and revenues which they already have.

Posted by: martyd12 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2018 19:18

I doubt Bromley's ground would pass muster for the FL!

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2018 19:23

Quote:
martyd12
I doubt Bromley's ground would pass muster for the FL!

At least they got rid of the portaloos for this season.

Posted by: Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2018 19:28

The EFL confirmed today, if the scenario happened, the team finishing 23rd in FL2 would be reprieved.

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2018 19:33

There have been a number of clubs staring with Altrincham that were denied promotion because the ground failed to meet league criteria so it is difficult to see a successful legal challenge.A bigger issue for me is the flawed logic that only allows two teams to be promoted from this league when in contrast four teams go up in Div 2.More fluidity between leagues can only aid attendances and increase interest

Posted by: coltran (IP Logged)
Date: 27 February, 2018 14:00

The reason that only two teams are promoted into League two each season is that in order to make a change, this would have to be agreed by the EFL clubs. In order to protect their league status it is highly unlikely that those clubs (particularly those in League 2) would vote for a change that is likely to affect their own league status. To quote the old adage "turkeys don't vote for Christmas". Surely this is a situation where the FA could intervene, as to have only two promoted teams from a 24-club league is ridiculous. If we believe the current situation to be unfair, which it clearly is, consider the situation when we were perennial strugglers in the old 4th Division (now league 2). Would we have expected our club to vote for relegation out of the football league? I doubt it.

Posted by: Wirral Mike (IP Logged)
Date: 27 February, 2018 16:18

Agree with all sentiments expressed here. Yes of course it seems unfair that there are only two promotion slots available - and an almighty scramble of 6 teams going for 1 of those 2 places - but coltran p is spot on - how many chairmen of EFL 1/2 will vote to increase the relegation numbers, when it could be their own club that goes down as a consequence? Not too many.

Some of us are old enough to remember when there was no relegation from the old Division 4 (now EFL 2) and the team finishing bottom had to 'apply for re-election', usually successfully to the great frustration of the leading non league teams who found the door closed on them once again. I seem to remember non league Wigan being particularly hard done by for years, because the Div 4 clubs had pulled the ladder up.

I think it's the stigma of being called 'non league' that actually hurts me the most, particularly as we often get bigger crowds than EFL 2 matches and our set up is the envy of many in EFL 2 and 1. To many people who are armchair experts, only subscribe to Sky Sports and don't often look down below the EPL top 6 or the Champions League, the VNL is no different from the Bostik / Evostik / Isthmian / Rymans 7th level or whatever, you're either league or you're not. Unfortunately a case cannot be made for calling the VNL 'EFL 3', as many of the current VNL grounds would not qualify, especially all those with plastic 4G pitches.

Whichever you look at it I keep coming back to one answer - a big stadium and past reputation counts for nothing, it's the VNL table that matters and we have to get back into the EFL! And yes, like others on this site I am a bit worried about next season if we don't go up this time with probably rich Salford City coming up from VLN- although it seems Harrogate are currently giving them a good run for their money - and the 2 EFL 2 relegated teams, with their parachute money.

Posted by: Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)
Date: 27 February, 2018 16:54

To be fair, 5 years ago most Tranmere fans would have seen the National League as being far removed from our level of football then, and wouldn't have supported an extra promotion place.

Going back roughly 10 years, I remember us playing Woking in the FA Cup (4-1?) and lots of people thinking it would be similar to playing Brigg Town (7-0?), so I doubt even the likes of Oldham and Colchester have a clue about the standard of some teams in that league. That said though, the difference between the top 5 in this league and bottom 5 is absolutely massive (perhaps bigger than the top 5 of this league and bottom 5 of League 1).

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 27 February, 2018 22:08

If we can’t win promotion we don’t deserve to be in the EFL, there’s nothing special about Rovers, Wrexham been here years.

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 08 March, 2018 13:14

I was on a Maidstone United fans forum the other day and there are a couple of their fans that seem to be saying ( and say that they've heard from some source ) that Sutton United will rip up their 3G pitch if they go up. Whether it will be true, I dunno. Even with the massive prize of possibly becoming a league club, Ive always thought Sutton, Bromley and Maidstone will stay with 3G.

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 08 March, 2018 15:50

I said and read HKR .that Sutton are going to lay a normal pitch on top of the 4G and if they come back down they will still have the plastic pitch .i am no expert so don’t know if that’s feasible .but I definitely read that .it was the chairman speaking about what they will do if promoted I think it was in the NLPaper .and usually they are spot on

Posted by: Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)
Date: 08 March, 2018 16:24

I am no expert but, would doubt the feasibility of laying a grass pitch on top, as their would be too many drainage problems.

Unless of course, that you could drill drainage holes through the plastic?

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 08 March, 2018 19:11

Quote:
Jack of all Trades
I am no expert but, would doubt the feasibility of laying a grass pitch on top, as their would be too many drainage problems.

No issue at all in doing it, The 4G drains through anyway, they just build a frame on top and build up the layers. Putting temporary pitches in was done a lot for USA 94.

Ultimatley we can’t be hoping Sutton won’t go up, absolute bailed on that if they win the league or playoffs they will take their place, they are not going to take relegation and risk the clubs future.

Posted by: TranmereFan (IP Logged)
Date: 08 March, 2018 21:04

Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Jack of all Trades

No issue at all in doing it, The 4G drains through anyway, they just build a frame on top and build up the layers. Putting temporary pitches in was done a lot for USA 94.

Ultimatley we can’t be hoping Sutton won’t go up, absolute bailed on that if they win the league or playoffs they will
take their place, they are not going to take relegation and risk the clubs future.

Now I know who to ask when I want a 4G front lawn 👍

Current Page: 3 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net