Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Sutton United and their pitch
Posted by: Wirral Mike (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 20:59

Well Higgosboots I don't have the benefit of the NL paper now - passed it on to my Dad - but if they were going to just 'roll over' and put grass down what's all this talk of top sports barristers and challenges and claiming they only agreed under duress? sounds like some more talking still to be done as they look good for a play off place at least at the moment

and if they get promoted and arrive with their plastic pitch will the EFL tell them to 'sod off'? (lol)

Barrow still 1-0 up on the site I'm following only another 33 minutes to go!

I remember years and years ago when we were going to be beneficiaries of Swindon being relegated for financial impropriety two leagues down from the lst Div but that was reduced on appeal to just one relegation and we stayed where we were, anyone else remember that?

Posted by: martyd12 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 21:29

They have equalised!

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 21:36

Yes I remember that to ,was that the season their lights went out and game abandoned when we were winning .they had the Lethal goal scorer Rogers who scored at PP in the second leg playoff

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 22:27

Hey 50 don't you mean don rogers ?he played in the70s

Posted by: Cybertron (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 22:42

The plastic pitch debate applied equally to Bromley who are also well placed at the moment.

Date: 13 February, 2018 22:51

I am not sure fifty if that was the same season as we would not have played Swindon in the league (they were in Div one and were Div three) unless it was a cup game? if my memory is right it was when we lost to Notts Co. in the PO final at Wembley and we qualified as the next ones to go up when they initially relegated Swindon two leagues but that was short lived as Swindon appealed and were 'only' relegated down one league to the old Div 2 now known as the Championship, but we got over it quite quickly as next season we were back at Wembley and beat Bolton to go to Division 2.

Whatever the rules are about Sutton and their pitch I would be amazed if they were punished by sending them down to NLS. Any financial model that works and does not result in yet another NL club being in financial trouble like Hartlepool and Chester or at least experiencing cash flow problems like Macc or having a fire sale like Eastleigh should not be viewed negatively.

so we're down to 5th but 6 points in the next two home games and it will be looking much better!

Date: 13 February, 2018 22:59

Sorry it is D and R who just sold their best three not Eastleigh sorry about that Eastleigh

Posted by: Tranmere69 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 23:46

Our only means of guaranteed promotion is by finishing top. No point worrying about Sutton.The rules governing promotion should be those which were in place at the start of the season.

Date: 14 February, 2018 10:49

Sorry guys ,regarding Swindon and Don Rogers. I bow to your superior knowledge

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 12:58

Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
what I great team swindon where when they came to us in1969.hammered us 5.3 think Rodgers got at least. They were applauded off the pitch (wouldn't be now !).they went on and got promoted and beat arsenal. 3.1 at wembley in league cup.

Date: 14 February, 2018 14:46

you are spot on T69 in that we should aim for 1st and then we don't need to worry about plastic pitches etc, it's just interesting to talk about these things - well for some of us anyway - I also recall didn't Chester (the current FC Chester not the old club) get a lucky reprieve a few years ago and avoid relegation because Hereford's ground wasn't up to scratch?

6 points from the next two games and SWA will be looking good!

Posted by: mini_andy (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 15:43

Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

On the subject of Don Rogers, he now owns a sports shop in the town centre (has done for years). We buy a lot of our stuff from there for the club I run lol

Posted by: Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 17:00

Quote:
dicko111
Cant see grass being laid over a plastic pitch .Surely it would be dead within weeks .Probably end up looking like the Rochdale pitch the other night in the FA cup

I wonder what the rules would be around that. They have to have grass to be eligible to be in the league. If during the season the pitch became unplayable, would their fixtures be cancelled (and cause a big backlog), or might the EFL allow them to use an artificial pitch in those circumstances.

If they try, and fail, to use grass that might get the ruling change. I would expect the EFL to look harshly at that, but who knows what the decision might be.

Posted by: rossb07 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2018 16:32

[www.youtube.com]

Video on the subject, already left my comment on there but shall post my opinion below also;

Don't care about advantages as any club can train on a 3G pitch these days. That being said, they shouldn't be allowed due to all 3 clubs KNOWING the rules, SIGNING the contract with the league and only taking offence and declaring they were forced to sign it (yeah, right) after realising they stand a chance of getting into the playoffs. If all 3 of the VNL clubs use the 3G pitches for the community and because it works with their business model for the club then so be it but you're staying a non-league club until you change your ways! Also, pretty certain Sutton Chairman and Manager said they were happy to remain a non-league team and would 'roll over' if they got into the play-offs to make sure they kept themselves down in the VNL.

That's not me saying i disagree that they shouldn't change the rules in the future, but more that those clubs affected KNEW what they were signing up for this season. MAybe the rules should be changed but only next season otherwise why not change all the rules in football halfway through a season to benefit 1 or 2 teams.

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2018 16:12

There is an interesting article on the Roversrearguard site about artificial pitches and the EFL. Worth a read.. Also on the site is a Rovers quiz,, who have we signed, either on loan or permanently, from Liverpool n Everton in the last 10 years. I havent attempted the quiz yet.

Date: 23 February, 2018 16:19

Did I read the Sutton pitch article correctly .if Sutton don’t want to go up then the 23rd place club stays in League 2so only 1gets promoted from the NL that can’t be right can it

Date: 23 February, 2018 16:32

Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Did I read the Sutton pitch article correctly .if Sutton don’t want to go up then the 23rd place club stays in League 2so only 1gets promoted from the NL that can’t be right can it

I think the article is saying that if sutton do get promoted then they have to install grass by a certain date during this summer, I am not sure of the exact date, but the EFL have given a deadline at some point during the summer. so if sutton are promoted and they DON'T meet the summer deadline then the 23rd team in div 2 will get a reprieve thus meaning only one promotion place from this seasons national league.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2018 16:46 by hong kong rover.

Date: 23 February, 2018 16:42

Quote:
Phil65
And if someone gets a reprieve in League Two because Sutton can't get promoted (if that's how it's going to pan out), then I find that disrespectful, on Sutton's behalf, towards other teams who genuinely want promotion and are willing to respect the rules. They should come clean on their intentions, stop playing the victim and "person" up (got to be careful in the current climate!). I can see the justification in the punishment of relegation to the National League South, for depriving others of their opportunity for promotion; makes a mockery of them being successful in the National League if they've no intention of converting to grass or want to challenge the rules, particularly if they've already agreed to do it. Of course, they may be compliant if it comes to it which will make it a mute debate. Anyway, hope Barrow and others stuff them to make it a redundant debate!!

I think u are spot on here phil, at first I thought a double relegation was too harsh a punishment but now ive changed my stance. if sutton do go up and fail to install grass by the summer deadline and it ends up with only one side going up from the national league, then bollox to sutton for depriving a 2nd team to go up. I think sutton will comply ( in some way ) but if they don't , then I hope they suffer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2018 16:48 by hong kong rover.

Date: 23 February, 2018 17:14

this might be another scenario but I am not sure... if sutton will not and don't want to revert to grass and they do get promoted then the club itself could possibly forfeit their promotion thus still allowing 2 clubs to be promoted from the national league. could this be a possibility.. sutton beat tranmere in the wembley play off final and immediately after the final whistle sutton forfeit their promotion and we go up??? I am probably talking a load of old bollox here lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2018 17:22 by hong kong rover.

Posted by: martyd12 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2018 17:45

My concern would be if Sutton win the title and Bromley win the playoffs. Sutton have promised legal action and whilst they are unlikely to be successful matters could drag on well into the summer! They could also join forces with Bromley in any action against the FA which would further complicate matters.

Teams in all divisions could be affected . If the scenario above happened would the team finishing 24th in Division 2 also stay up meaning no promotion this year from our division?. If eventually either or both teams were relegated as a result of non cooperation how would it be decided who is promoted to the Division in which we currently reside.

The other problem which I possibly foresee is what incentive a team may have Knowing that if they win they might not be promoted but relegated instead!! Some team might get an easy passage if they play them!

Current Page: 2 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net