Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Get a grip
Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2018 09:03

It’s not about one game is it though. Yes we have won 9 on the bounce at home. But we have dropped points at key times and not through poor fortune but poor performances. We started like a newly promoted NLN side not a team of top NL earners. We are symptamatic of Arsenal, brilliant until it matters and then woeful.

There are many differences bewtween top performers and also rans in any sport. The main one being when the pressures on they deliver. Yes Cookie and Norwood might score lots of goals but they can’t do it when it counts, when we need the goal to make a difference in the big game. Norwood at Wembley last year missing at 1-1 we score then who knows. FGR Get 3 sniffs at goal and score 3 goals. Tuesday, Cook misses at 0-0 Maccs have 3 chances.....

Perhaps MM was right to look away from Cook and Norwood, the club were probably just wrong in not targeting a proven goalscorer and coughing up for it.

Posted by: HardlyYardley (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2018 11:12

At the start of the season, I said that Cook and Norwood should be 3rd and 4th strikers if we were to be champions. I also said that Norwood would probably never be an ever-present main striker in a promotion-winning side. Not popular views. I understand why Norwood is so popular : he's a good player, he works very hard, he scores goals (including some very good ones) but.... he's (just) not good enough for a promotion side, which needs to beat rivals in games with few chances. The best strikers miss chances, but Norwood and Cook need too many chances to score and you don't get loads of chances in every game. How many times has MM bemoaned "not taking our chances" this season? Cook would be great to bring off the bench. Norwood left Forest Green (who subsequently got promoted) because he didn't want to play on the wing, he wanted to be a striker. They disagreed and they were right. He should play on the wing (or maybe behind the strikers) or be on the bench. MM got in several other strikers this season, presumably because he recognises the problem, but none have worked out (though I don't think they were all given a fair chance) so he reverted to Cook and Norwood and we've started doing well with them, but it looks like we'll fall a bit short again. I'm not having a go at them - at this level, they're good players - but I think they're just not quite good enough to get us promoted.

Posted by: Robbie126 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2018 11:28

Hard to disagree with this. We need a Ricky Miller type player. It will cost but its looking like the only way out of this league. I'm a huge fan of Cookie but can't see him staying beyond this season, regardless if we go up or not.

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2018 12:02

I reckon both Cook and Norwood would be starters in any of the top teams. It is odd that the post match focus is on missed chances rather than the four goals conceded on home soil. Another striker would add competition and give options on the bench.It is just unfortunate that those signed this year are light years behind both Norwood and Cooke

Date: 22 February, 2018 12:51

Quote:
DevonExile
I reckon both Cook and Norwood would be starters in any of the top teams. It is odd that the post match focus is on missed chances rather than the four goals conceded on home soil. Another striker would add competition and give options on the bench.It is just unfortunate that those signed this year are light years behind both Norwood and Cooke
There have been quite a few posts (on other threads) discussing our noticeably poor record against top teams, games in which there are likely to be fewer chances. I'm not just talking about the Macclesfield match in which, of course, defensive mistakes were important ; so too were our strikers' misses. I'm sure those of us saying that our strikers are not quite good enough to get us promotion would love them to prove us wrong. FGR decided against Norwood as a striker and then went up. There's no doubt a combination of Norwood and Cook would appeal to many clubs in this league, but can that combination win promotion out of it?

Posted by: TranmereFan (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2018 23:24

Quote:
HardlyYardley
At the start of the season, I said that Cook and Norwood should be 3rd and 4th strikers if we were to be champions. I also said that Norwood would probably never be an ever-present main striker in a promotion-winning side. Not popular views. I understand why Norwood is so popular : he's a good player, he works very hard, he scores goals (including some very good ones) but.... he's (just) not good enough for a promotion side, which needs to beat rivals in games with few chances. The best strikers miss chances, but Norwood and Cook need too many chances to score and you don't get loads of chances in every game. How many times has MM bemoaned "not taking our chances" this season? Cook would be great to bring off the bench. Norwood left
Forest Green (who subsequently got promoted) because he didn't want to play on the wing, he wanted to be a striker. They disagreed and they were right. He should play on the wing (or maybe behind the strikers) or be on the bench. MM got in several other strikers this season, presumably because he recognises the problem, but none have worked out (though I don't think they were all given a fair chance) so he reverted to Cook and Norwood and we've started doing well with them, but it looks like we'll fall a bit short again. I'm not having a go at them - at this level, they're good players - but I think they're just not quite good enough to get us promoted.

Disagree, Cook and Norwood are 2 in the top 10 scorers in the league, only two other strikers one for Wrexham and one for Boreham wood are in the top 7 clubs in the current league standings. What does that tell you?

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2018 00:55

I agree, they are a good pairing and well worth selection each week.

Also if Tranmere do fall a bit short, then losing a key game 4-1 would be one reason and Cook scored one of the goals anyway, so unless Norwood had somehow changed the game with a couple of belters and perhaps created a 3-2 win, then he can't really be held accountable for Tuesday night, when the margin of defeat was 3 goals, not 1.

Tranmere may be one of the best budgeted sides, if not the best budgeted side in the NL, but unless They had the money to bring in players like Britt Assombalonga, Troy Deeney, or any other costly premier league and championship players in the summer, which they didn't, then they were always going to be hard pushed to get anyone better at the time.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Date: 23 February, 2018 13:09

MM bemoaning missed chances has been a regular theme in his post-match interviews and, unless he and I (and quite a few other people) are hallucinating, missed chances have cost us a lot of points ; if chances had been taken against Macclesfield before their second goal, that result may have been different too. No-one expects strikers at this level to take a very high percentage of chances and I don't think anyone doubts that Cook and Norwood are good players at this level, (though some, including myself and, of course, the promoted side FGR, doubt that Norwood's best position is striker) but the question is whether they're quite good enough for a promotion side. I really hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2018 13:34

Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
HardlyYardley
At the start of the season, I said that Cook and Norwood should be 3rd and 4th strikers if we were to be champions. I also said that Norwood would probably never be an ever-present main striker in a promotion-winning side. Not popular views. I understand why Norwood is so popular : he's a good player, he works very hard, he scores goals (including some very good ones) but.... he's (just) not good enough for a promotion side, which needs to beat rivals in games with few chances. The best strikers miss chances, but Norwood and Cook need too many chances to score and you don't get loads of chances in every game. How many times has MM bemoaned "not taking our chances" this season? Cook would be great to bring off the bench. Norwood left
Forest Green (who subsequently got promoted) because he didn't want to play on the wing, he wanted to be a striker. They disagreed and they were right. He should play on the wing (or maybe behind the strikers) or be on the bench. MM got in several other strikers this season, presumably because he recognises the problem, but none have worked out (though I don't think they were all given a fair chance) so he reverted to Cook and Norwood and we've started doing well with them, but it looks like we'll fall a bit short again. I'm not having a go at them - at this level, they're good players - but I think they're just not quite good enough to get us promoted.

Disagree, Cook and Norwood are 2 in the top 10 scorers in the league, only two other strikers one for Wrexham and one for Boreham wood are in the top 7 clubs in the current league standings. What does that tell you?

“Anyone” can score goals when it doesn’t matter in a team that’s creating chances, theybare going to score lots of goals as they get lots of chances, we need them to step up when there’s only 1 chance on offer.

Posted by: stairwaytoheaven (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2018 13:52

Cook and Nors should both be well beyond 20 goals each this season, I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the opposition, neither has the finishing quality required to compete at league level. Good chances to conversion percentage are poor, for example Cooky could have/should have scored a hat trick on Tuesday, we have all bemoaned Nors one on one misses, as has been suggested before, if Nors has time to think he misses, if only we could have kept Cole or got Ricky Miller on loan.

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2018 23:21

Considering Cook scored around 20 for Barrow and over 20 for Tranmere in his first season with an injury layoff, then comparing the NL to league 2, I think he could have that quality, but if you're comparing the NL with the championship, then there is a lot more validity to your argument.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: TranmereFan (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2018 23:49

Quote:
Matt34
Considering Cook scored around 20 for Barrow and over 20 for Tranmere in his first season with an injury layoff, then comparing the NL to league 2, I think he could have that quality, but if you're comparing the NL with the championship, then there is a lot more validity to your argument.

Exactamondo. The original poster stated cook and Norwood would be 3&4th choice strikers for a championship winning side. A simple glance at the top scorers chart means it actually means nothing if the goals are spread through the team. As no leading club actually has a prolific striker in the top 7. We are incredibly lucky to have x2 proven 20 goal a season strikers on our books. And to have others in the team scoring at the same time. The goal difference does not lie.

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net