Current Page: 1 of 2
Maidstone perspective
Posted by: the kav (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2018 14:41

" after the match micky mellon claimed his players deserved ten out of ten for the way they fought to claim 3 points . This, with respect, is bull. He has to say it of course, but he knows he is lucky not to have been summonsed to prenton park for a sunday morning sacking, given that he sent a team out with a ready made excuse for failing .

This is an excuse too many of his players were ready to take. The science behind 3g surfaces is not definitive, but they dont prevent you from running. They dont prevent you from tackling and they dont prevent you from looking like you give a s hit .

From the off maidstone were the only team that looked interested.....

Blame the pitch for the way davies dived so embarrassingly early that all lafyette had to donwas roll the ball into an empty net. Blame the pitch for the way you (trfc) did not create a single coherent chance for the first 35 mins of the second half.

Taken from www.themaidstone.co.uk

Any opinions of those that travelled?

Re: Maidstone perspective
Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2018 14:49

The 3g pitch debate is an interesting one. The Sutton manager, Paul Doswell has stated that he speaks to many of the opposing teams players when they visit sutton and asks them for their opinions on their surface, Doswell says pretty much all of them don't have a problem with their pitch and they actually like playing on it.

Posted by: Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2018 14:53

Didn't go and the radio wasn't particularly complementary about the performance but, the Maidstone view has got to be taken with a pinch of salt. Lets not forgot they have now not won in 16 games and with 5 minutes left must have thought they had broken the sequence.

Posted by: Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2018 15:06

Having now watch the highlights, admittedly only 3.39 Minutes, the Maidstone perspective IMO, does seem a bit of sour grapes.

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2018 15:25

If those ''highlights'' were the best bits of the match,I'm glad I didn't see the rest of it.

Posted by: velico (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2018 15:50

for the first 85 we did nowt,against a very poor side indeed. for the last 10 Maidstone gave us the win.

Posted by: ADD (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2018 17:20

Quote:
the kav
" after the match micky mellon claimed his players deserved ten out of ten for the way they fought to claim 3 points . This, with respect, is bull. He has to say it of course, but he knows he is lucky not to have been summonsed to prenton park for a sunday morning sacking, given that he sent a team out with a ready made excuse for failing .
This is an excuse too many of his players were ready to take. The science behind 3g surfaces is not definitive, but they dont prevent you from running. They dont prevent you from tackling and they dont prevent you from looking like you give a s hit .

From the off maidstone were the only team that looked interested.....

Blame the pitch for the way davies dived so embarrassingly early that all lafyette had to donwas roll the ball into an empty net. Blame the pitch for the way you (trfc) did not create a single coherent chance for the first 35 mins of the second half.

Taken from www.themaidstone.co.uk

Any opinions of those that travelled?
Agree with them re Davies with the penalty and why he went out for the ball when they scored their first goal I have no idea..
From my perspective generally...
We should be able to play on these pitches - no excuses and if players can't they aren't fit enough or overweight...MM himself blamed our pitch as being too bumpy last Saturday at home - you can't have it both ways!
MM himself admitted the performance was poor and having seen the highlights we were very very lucky to win against a team that are completely in free fall.
We will not go up automatically for sure after last Tuesday. We will make the playoffs but probably not as 2nd or 3rd and we will lose in the playoffs at some point playing like this...
I will be delighted to be proved wrong in all of this!! but performances like this are what has been wrong pretty much all season. We dodged a bullet today when we should not have have even been under fire....

Posted by: mb53trfc (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2018 19:48

We are not looking strong and that doesn't bode well for the future. From last season I think we have been treading water. Whether our future is in the Vanarama or the Football League next season, we cannot afford a repeat of last years close season with respect to player recruitment and preparation.

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2018 21:17

The thing that got me about Davies and their first goal was his lack of reaction after not getting the ball initially. He almost seemed to be either at best ambling back or just ball watching instead of trying to rectify the situation quickly.

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2018 21:20

4G pitches are fantastic especially the expensive ones, as a “footballing” side you couldn’t wish to play on anything better. The injuries is a separate matter, one of which personally I feel is complete BS, given the amount of “overweight 5 a side” played on them up and down the country at every leisure centre. I play quite a lot of proper decent level matches on 4G and don’t suffer any adverse side effect over and above a grass pitch.

Posted by: Phil65 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2018 23:18

Quote:
Hoots Mon
The thing that got me about Davies and their first goal was his lack of reaction after not getting the ball initially. He almost seemed to be either at best ambling back or just ball watching instead of trying to rectify the situation quickly.

Absolutely agree Hoots. There looked to be ample opportunity for him to still play a part in stopping a goal, but he just seemed to give up. I don't know if he's struggling with his confidence or beating himself up about a perceived error instead of reacting instinctively to make another effort to defend the situation.

Posted by: Cybertron (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2018 23:29

I reminded my son of what I said after the draw at Leyton, 'We will play worse than that and win games' and yesterday proved the point. The surface did no doubt play on the players minds, taking extra touches and getting caught and playing the ball a little aimlessly forward, perhaps just a slight lack of confidence. In the second half we really had trouble creating chances, how much of that was Maidstone sitting deeper I am not sure our midfield did seem to have trouble getting hold of the game. Although they haven't won in a while they did get a draw against Bromley recently who also play on plastic. The first Maidstone goal was really a bit of a mess by Scotty, he really should have dealt with it better. The positives were that having gone behind the team kept going to the end and got the win.

Posted by: CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)
Date: 26 February, 2018 07:07

The Maidstone highlights on you tube show a blatant handball by us in our box and we got away with it.

So much for this collective referees' conspiracy to get us.

Date: 26 February, 2018 14:56

As for our penalty, why the hell does the Maidstone no 3 go running off towards the ref to protest his own innocence and complain about the decision that the ref has made to award us with a penalty??? His challenge on Jennings was terrible, jumped off the ground with a full on 2 footed lunge at Connor inside the box. A disgraceful challenge that is only ever going to end up being a 100% clear cut penalty. he only got a yellow card when I thought it warranted a red.

Date: 26 February, 2018 15:45

Have just watched the Vanarama National League highlights show ( matchday 36 ) on you tube. How important will that last min goal for Macc vs Maidenhead prove to be come seasons end? The Woking v Borehamwood game was held up for nearly 30 mins after a Woking player suffered, what looked like to be, a horrific broken leg in a 50/50 full on challenge. A sweet little volley from Chesters Jordan Archer in their game at Daggers.. They also showed a few goals from the previous midweek games,, worth having a look at Dover's goal vs Daggers, an overhead kick from the edge of the area, quite an amazing goal really, btw the Dover pitch looks shockingly bad,, Rovers have to play on it in a months time. We have won 3 out of 3 on the plastic so far this season and judging by the state of the Dover pitch, maybe artificial pitches are the way to go???

Posted by: stairwaytoheaven (IP Logged)
Date: 26 February, 2018 15:47

Listened to Andy Mangan being interviewed, he came up with a valid point, its all about the 3 points at this stage of the season, Micky in his interview said he knows we are not playing the type of football the fans like to see at PP, I accept this as long as we get the 3 points and out of this league.
We have had many games when we have dominated only to come away with nothing and bemoaned our luck, maybe we are getting the rub of green now.

Posted by: TranmereFan (IP Logged)
Date: 26 February, 2018 15:48

Quote:
hong kong rover
As for our penalty, why the hell does the Maidstone no 3 go running off towards the ref to protest his own innocence and complain about the decision that the ref has made to award us with a penalty??? His challenge on Jennings was terrible, jumped off the ground with a full on 2 footed lunge at Connor inside the box. A disgraceful challenge that is only ever going to end up being a 100% clear cut penalty. he only got a yellow card when I thought it warranted a red.

It was a bizzare tackle to make in your own area... almost as if they had a bet on the game ....🤔

Posted by: Wirral Mike (IP Logged)
Date: 26 February, 2018 17:54

It's all about opinions on here and that's what makes it interesting; but according to some of the contributors on here when one of our rivals has an off day and yet still manage to grind out an away draw or even sneak a win with a late goal or two or a bit of good luck then it's all 'that's the sign of a good team, when they can play not so well and still not lose / win the match' or 'that's the sign of a good team, one who plays right till the final whistle and never gives up', yet when Rovers do it i.e. 2 late goals at Maidstone those views suddenly do not apply and instead it's, according to at least one poster on here, 'Mellon was facing the sack' or 'we were lucky' etc etc

I am as aware of anyone of our shortcomings in certain areas but I also believe in this team and let's get behind them for the last 10 games. Have a look at Andy Mangan's interview post Maidstone; there's a guy who has recently been on the fringes of team at best, not always even making the bench, and yet he still believes and wants to play whatever part he can.

Maybe the doom mongers will be right and we won't make it but please, for now, let's stay positive while we are 3rd in the table with 10 games to go.

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 February, 2018 18:15

Good post mike.mangans interview was a very different perspective and I thought he came over well

Posted by: Phil65 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 February, 2018 19:39

I enjoyed Mangan's interview.
Pragmatism has its place and we don't have to wear any particular hat, "doom mongers" or "happy clappers". There's a wealth of opportunity in between for us to wear our own hat; the logo on my hat would read, "The imagination, like certain wild animals, will not breed in captivity". I can't see them selling that one in the club shop!

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net