Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Can we keep it up ?
Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 14 October, 2018 16:56

It's hard to answer the question the post poses and that goes for all teams. We are certainly in a good position, we deserves to be there. Christmas is always a turning point though. I suppose much will depend on the January transfer window and what budget remains or what the chairman is willing to add to it for strengthening if anything at all. Micky seems to have been really good at not getting carried away focusing on one game at a time and demanding high standards. So we have every chance of maintaining what I see at this stage as a challenge for automatic promotion. I would be happy to see us finish 3rd from bottom though all though that seems out the question at this stage thankfully.

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 14 October, 2018 17:05

Quote:
Matt34
Tranmere arguably would be top now with that Cook, Norwood partnership and arguably adapting the playing mentality to suit them both wouldn't be too difficult at all.
Frankly considering the difference between NL and league 2, Cook would more than cope, but Walsall and Tranmere and most of all Cook would have to want the situation to be tenable, as far as a loan deal goes.

I can't see why Sheffield United would bring Gilmour back, unless they wanted him playing league 1 at the end of the season, but barring Coventry and maybe 1-2 other clubs, Tranmere have the ground and training facilities to rival and exceed most league 1 clubs, so only the level of football would be a slight stumbling block.

As he's probably not on a massive sum of money, then they could hardly say club X were prepared to pay X% more of his wages and Tranmere wouldn't and possibly, but I'm not certain of this, the short-term nature of deals might have more to do with not spending too much on them if they didn't work out, because Smith on a one year loan was known to Micky as he played NL last season on loan, but the others could have been less certain, so medium term loans could be sensible to stave off any additional spend on what could have bene potentially underachieving players and permit squad places to become available for potentially better loans or free transfers.

I'm more inclined therefore to think that the length of those loans represent caution on Tranmere's part, more so than the parent clubs wanting them to have around 2/3 of a season in league 2 and the other 1/3 in league 1, as I would think certainly in Gilmour's case he could be championship standard in 3-4 years time, but not close enough right now, so I cannot see Sheffield United recalling him at the end of the loan with a view to giving him 15-20 games at that level.

Right now both are making more than valid arguments for another attempt to loan them in in January and my gut feeling says it's an 80% likelihood based on recent performances the loans will be extended.

Wages may well be a downfall in bringing loan players such as Gilmour back. There are two reasons young players usually sign until December or January, To prevent them being used over the busy Christmas periods and in order that if the player is successful as with Gilmour they can return to the parent club and negotiate a new contract with higher wages demands. The chairman at the time refused to resign Ryan Shotton despite agreement he would return in January as he renegotiated his contract at Stoke and the chairman refused to pay the extra increase in wage. Ronnie was sending faxes on the bus to an away game negotiating with the board to allow him to sign Shotton after releasing two players to fund the wage gap.

Posted by: Tranmere69 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 October, 2018 17:34

Didn't Gilmour sign a new contract at S U before he came?I remember reading that he was highly thought of at SU.

Posted by: Cybertron (IP Logged)
Date: 14 October, 2018 20:37

The loan players returning to their parent clubs in Jan is a concern, if we can keep Gilmore and Smith that would be ideal, although I suspect McCulloch is probably the one who we would miss the most. I think it was the 11/12 season when at Christmas we were top and riding high, then after Christmas we picked up about 17 points (I still have mental scars from the 5-0 game at Swindon). As for the question Can we keep it up? I've not seen anything to suggest we can't, we have played teams at the top an bottom and none of them have 'blown us away', it is fine margins and the team needs to be switched on mentally for the whole game, or even teams near the bottom will take points. Confidence must be high at the moment, 3 wins on the bounce the worry is what happens if there is a similar run of defeats.

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 October, 2018 20:58

Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Gilmore and Smith have been great .we will be hard pushed to find another 2 as good ,we will struggle if they leave in January

However other players might just come in who could cut it, or existing players might find another gear.

All will become clear in about 10 weeks time.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: mogsy73 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 October, 2018 07:22

All 3 are becoming very influential, and full credit to Mickey on the summer recruitment - Cook apart, we've actually improved the team, and the squad depth is very reassuring. Banks and McCullough have been brilliant in midfield, and I think that's been our main area of strength this season. Would be extremely pleased if we could keep hold of McCullough in January, he holds everything together and gives Banks license to get forward and get involved at the top end of the pitch. Really pleased with all aspects at the moment, and credit obviously also goes to Mark and Nicola

Posted by: WWStandsure (IP Logged)
Date: 15 October, 2018 20:21

Historically it seems that 40+ points are sufficient to prevent relegation from league 2 (with only 2 going down), with 23 points from 13 games at least that situation might soon be passed. Then it will depend on who joins/re-joins Rovers in January (depending on what deals are made by then), to see if a 'push' upwards can be maintained or strengthened.

Posted by: pez (IP Logged)
Date: 16 October, 2018 02:04

I don't think we've peaked just yet and although we're doing very well, we're not a free scoring team.

We've gained some great results, but not really trounced anyone either.

If Micky has funds available in January, and we can keep hold of Norwood, Banks and the loanee signings, then it's not impossible for us to aim for a top 3 finish.

I'd love to see a decent striker come in during the January window.

If we can keep this decent run of form going until the new year, then hopefully with a bit of fine tuning we could realistically be aiming for back to back promotion.

Should we achieve promotion, then I fear that a total rebuild may be needed for the following campaign

Up to now though, we seem to be a match for anyone at League 2 level.

Posted by: Briantrfc (IP Logged)
Date: 16 October, 2018 06:55

We are getting a striker come january and i have a feeling he someone we all know, love & miss

He is the - - - - - - monster

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/10/2018 07:07 by Briantrfc.

Posted by: Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)
Date: 16 October, 2018 11:56

I've got a slight fear that this might be like the season we were top of League One. We got into that position through having some outstanding loanees come in (Cassidy, Gibson, Palmer) who really lifted the side in key positions. But once they left in January, and we got injuries to other key players (Wallace), we started a slide to mid-table, and then non-league, obscurity.

This season is different as I think only McCulloch would be greatly missed - if he doesn't continue to the end of the season we'll need a strong holding midfielder. Gilmour looks class, but is the sort of player who turns draws into wins rather than preventing defeats - the points return he gives us is why we're not mid-table, but with someone else there we wouldn't be bottom half. Smith is strong, but we have cover for his role already and if Tollit is ready for January we might have a ready-made replacement. So I'm not a pessimist expecting us to drop to 18th. But if we want to continue the momentum from promotion and through this part of the season we need to make sure we cover any players returning to their clubs in January well.

Hopefully Mellon's role in Jamie Vardy's development will see us as being a good place for the three players to stay. If we can convince their clubs to extend the loans seemlessly we're in a great position to keep up our form. If I was Mellon I'd be on the phone to the three clubs, making the comparison to where Vardy was in his development, to try to keep them all here.

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 16 October, 2018 15:12

on the subject of jake Cassidy, he is currently on loan at maidstone utd from hartlepool, till January. he seems to be turning out into a bit of a journeyman and apart from the good spell he had at prenton, he hasn't done much although I think he has been hampered with quite a few injuries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/10/2018 15:17 by hong kong rover.

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 16 October, 2018 17:43

Sadly,I fear that we will never see the pre injury Tollit.It would be good to retain the service of the loan players,perhaps achieved by loaning out some of our fringe players. Not sure in the current situation where Ryan Williams fits.
Like a few others on this thread I still see our current points yield in terms of stroking up points towards a save from relegation threshold. Anything more from the season will be a welcome bonus.
I really like Cook and regret his going but he has gone and realistically beyond supporter sentiment there is no reason to think that he will be back soon.A priority in the medium term is to find a permanent stiker for there is little to suggest that Stockton will fill that role.
A year ago few could have thought that we would be in our current position

Posted by: aktrfc (IP Logged)
Date: 16 October, 2018 18:23

Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
I've got a slight fear that this might be like the season we were top of League One. We got into that position through having some outstanding loanees come in (Cassidy, Gibson, Palmer) who really lifted the side in key positions. But once they left in January, and we got injuries to other key players (Wallace), we started a slide to mid-table, and then non-league, obscurity.
This season is different as I think only McCulloch would be greatly missed - if he doesn't continue to the end of the season we'll need a strong holding midfielder. Gilmour looks class, but is the sort of player who turns draws into wins rather than preventing defeats - the points return he gives us is why we're not mid-table, but with someone else there we wouldn't be bottom half. Smith is strong, but we have cover for his role already and if Tollit is ready for January we might have a ready-made replacement. So I'm not a pessimist expecting us to drop to 18th. But if we want to continue the momentum from promotion and through this part of the season we need to make sure we cover any players returning to their clubs in January well.

Hopefully Mellon's role in Jamie Vardy's development will see us as being a good place for the three players to stay. If we can convince their clubs to extend the loans seemlessly we're in a great position to keep up our form. If I was Mellon I'd be on the phone to the three clubs, making the comparison to where Vardy was in his development, to try to keep them all here.

I for one don’t think your alone in your feelings. On the subject of cookie, I know 100% that if we meet his terms (playing) and the club meet Walsall term (wage) he will be back.

But a spanner in the works, Rowe is said to be leaving fylde in jan, but where?

Date: 16 October, 2018 19:12

I know he WILL be back come January. Eyes and ears everywhere this is not just a rumor.

Posted by: rossb07 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 October, 2018 19:34

Quote:
Briantrfc
I know he WILL be back come January. Eyes and ears everywhere this is not just a rumor.

Unless you have something in concrete on paper for all to see then sadly it is just that, a rumour.

Date: 16 October, 2018 19:42

All i can give is my word im afraid, i know that doesn't count for much when theres rumors going around all the time, but theres not long to wait. I can not wait to see him back in a white shirt where he belongs.

Posted by: ADD (IP Logged)
Date: 17 October, 2018 16:34

Well I would be delighted for Tranmere if Brian is correct and he seems very sure but I must confess I would be a little bit deflated for him personally if that actually happens. What is slightly strange in that unless there is a personality conflict he seems to be doing ok considering the step up.
He has played 16 games so far, and has started in 9 of their 12 L1 games and has scored 5 goals 3 of which were in his 9 League games - yes not prolific but a goal every 3 games is not too bad and would mean around 15 goals for the season if he continues in that vein so I am struggling to understand why Walsall would want to release/ loan him out.

Posted by: AndyMase (IP Logged)
Date: 17 October, 2018 17:43

Quote:
ADD
Well I would be delighted for Tranmere if Brian is correct and he seems very sure but I must confess I would be a little bit deflated for him personally if that actually happens. What is slightly strange in that unless there is a personality conflict he seems to be doing ok considering the step up.
He has played 16 games so far, and has started in 9 of their 12 L1 games and has scored 5 goals 3 of which were in his 9 League games - yes not prolific but a goal every 3 games is not too bad and would mean around 15 goals for the season if he continues in that vein so I am struggling to understand why Walsall would want to release/ loan him out.

Wouldn't coming back say I'm not good enough to make it?
Also if he comes back does that mean he never left due to being annoyed at the perceived dropping incident.
None of if really adds up to me, yes come back if we get promoted as it's L1, but not now?

Date: 17 October, 2018 18:11

I think coming back shows how much he loved it here not that he didnt make it. I agree with ADD his goal per game ratio is not bad for his 1st season in league 1, but im going to be spiteful and say i want him back with us, and that is happening come january. Trust me

Posted by: paulbyron (IP Logged)
Date: 17 October, 2018 19:20

Briantrfc I for one would have him back but does that mean he would be replacing Norwood? I,m not privy to whats behind the scenes so will wait & see

Current Page: 2 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net