Current Page: 1 of 3
tranmere rovers - best ever match
Posted by: the baldy one (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 17:37

as we all know - in the past few days there have been quite a few new threads put on here mine included which have got@#$%&subject titles. but with tranmere not playing till next Saturday I thought I would start a proper debate - what is the best tranmere rovers match you have ever been to. at the moment I have got a few games at the top of my list- tranmere rovers 7 Peterborough united 0 1985 - ian muir got 4, tranmere 1 crewe 1 1989 - promotion match at prenton park, tranmere 2 Bristol rovers 1 1990 - cup final, tranmere 3 aston villa 1 1994 - league cup semi, tranmere 2 Tottenham 2 1989 league cup 4th round, tranmere 6 Cambridge 2 1985 - Worthington and clayton both got hatricks, tranmere 2 boreham wood 1 2018 - Wembley play off final, preston north end 3 tranmere rovers 4 1988 league cup 1st round. I might of missed a few but these stick in the mind.

Re: tranmere rovers - best ever match
Posted by: aktrfc (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 17:42

Tranmere 4 Southampton 3. Best Cup come back ever.

Posted by: rossb07 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 18:19

We play this weekend so ignored the rest sorry....

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 18:22

Quote:
aktrfc
Tranmere 4 Southampton 3. Best Cup come back ever.
very memorable game that 1 and many more but getting back in league at wembley for me . . .

Posted by: Wozza (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 18:44

Before beating borehamwood beating Bolton in the playoffs offs was my most memorable game the cup games are great but promotion trumps it all for me cups are bonus coming back from 3-1 down wolves or derby or both memories fading in the league to win 4-3 was memorable beating stoke 2-1 at home standing in the cowshed seeing people fighting in the kop was memorable for the wrong reasons definitely borehamwood for me I don’t think I’ll ever see a game with so much drama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 19:16 by Wozza.

Posted by: BELMONT (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 18:52

For myself away from play-off and cup comebacks the most memorable game has to be the one played on a Friday night in front of 11,700+ gate on the wettest night you could wish for(not that we wanted weather like that a dry night might have put other thousand+ on the gate).

Not sure but I think it was on TV as well.

The opposition that night was West Ham pushing around the top of the league(Championship now)as we were.

So it was all set winner that night if I remember would go top or second in the league , who would win this game that night every thing was set PP was bouncing out come was a 5-2 win for the SWA with Aldo getting three and Malkin/Irons getting the others.

This to me was Tranmere at our best that night we were on our trip to the Moon that night everything was just right that night just hope we can get there again.thumbs down

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 18:56 by BELMONT.

Posted by: HardlyYardley (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 19:30

One of my happiest games was seeing John Aldridge's debut for Rovers at Brighton. I'd thought (how wrong I was) he'd come back from Spain because he was either past it (maybe carrying injuries) or not really interested anymore. He was very sharp, scored twice and, given the other players Kingy was assembling, I realised that we really were going places.

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 19:40

Some great memories on this thread and iv been lucky enough to be at all them games

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 20:03

Despite Borehamwood drama I think the Southampton game was the best ever unbelievable drama the bedlam when the winner went in was unbelievable,though we are i suppose the word in journalistic parlance would be unfashionable, over the years we have had mad ,bad and unbelievable times and that is what gives us the history and why people love the club ,and the number of famous people who have played for us despite being a small club in a big pond

Posted by: Hardly Irons (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 20:31

Morecambe away the other week was a bit special.

Posted by: mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 20:47

Quote:
BELMONT
For myself away from play-off and cup comebacks the most memorable game has to be the one played on a Friday night in front of 11,700+ gate on the wettest night you could wish for(not that we wanted weather like that a dry night might have put other thousand+ on the gate).
Not sure but I think it was on TV as well.

The opposition that night was West Ham pushing around the top of the league(Championship now)as we were.

So it was all set winner that night if I remember would go top or second in the league , who would win this game that night every thing was set PP was bouncing out come was a 5-2 win for the SWA with Aldo getting three and Malkin/Irons getting the others.

This to me was Tranmere at our best that night we were on our trip to the Moon that night everything was just right that night just hope we can get there again.thumbs down

ah that was a great game. aldo dinked their keeper and wheeled away to celebrate and the ball barely got over the line the pitch was that bad.

Posted by: Higgosboots (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 21:24

Has to be one of the three below

Rovers v Bolton play off final

Rovers v Boringwood play off final

Everton V Rovers FA cup win at Goodison

Award goes to Everton V Rovers, not only did we beat the chairman stealing blue nose wannabe Liverpool club we did it in their back yard on an FA Cup Saturday and hammered them should have been 5

Posted by: Cybertron (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 22:05

Quote:
Higgosboots
Has to be one of the three below
Rovers v Bolton play off final

Rovers v Boringwood play off final

Everton V Rovers FA cup win at Goodison

Award goes to Everton V Rovers, not only did we beat the chairman stealing blue nose wannabe Liverpool club we did it in their back yard on an FA Cup Saturday and hammered them should have been 5
One I'd like to throw into the mix was I think a league cup game against Chelsea at PP, having drawn down there....in extra time, I remember we had a penalty in extra time and Aldo did a very minor version of his shuffle, but it was enough to send Dennis Wise into a sh!tfit.

Posted by: paulbyron (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 22:07

Tranmere 4 Bradford city 5 didn,t realise windass was that good one of the best free kicks from summerbee I,ve ever seen 4-2 down brought it back level then wetherall scores from a corner,if we had scored I,m sure they would have still won, one of those games

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 00:33

Some great ones on here but two will never be surpassed for me - thumping Bolton in the League Cup semi at PP (best home atmosphere I can remember and we just blew them away. Great to stick it up them, of all teams, and exorcise the bad memories of Villa Park too) and the trouncing we gave Everton (still dining out on that one with my Bluenose chums!)

Posted by: MrMac (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 08:09

My memory is awful but first season up, Pat Nevin had just joined, and I was living in London and saw the beat Millwall 3-0 (I think). Remains the best performance I have seen by a Rovers side. They could have beaten any side on the planet that night. Millwall fans didn't take it well !!

Date: 07 November, 2018 08:21

millwall in the league cup, also [89?]

think they were top of the top division at the time and had a great team in retrospect. teddy sheringham and cascarino up front, jimmy carter [who would play his way into a move to liverpool that season] on the wing and we were treated to the improbable match up of eddie bishop v terry horlock in midfield

bishop and horlock both scored and i think mccarrick got the winner for us.

we then played tottenham. the pleasure of seeing gazza sore at the cowshed end. lineker being marked by dave higgins [if you ever run into dave higgins, ask him about gazza he has some boss stories of sharing a pitch with him]. all the home games 89/90 were superb. the pinnacle of the era of prenton park night time football - a LOT of our games were night games. away kits looked great under the lights back then - all deep yellows, reds and green. sounds funny, but it just brings back great memories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 08:22 by mrGr33n13.

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 09:18

It is going back a long time but a 1-1 home draw against a star studded Spurs with Iceton hitting a last minute 60 yard shot that bounced off the crossbar.
Memorable because in those days stars where not over exposed through TV so seeing them live had a glamour that is absent from such figures today

Posted by: TwelfthofMay-ResurrectionDay (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 11:26

Yeah some great games mentioned there - esp the 5-2 against the hammers. Remember that game was quite tight at 3-2 'til the last few minutes when Aldo completed his hat trick and (I think it was Kenny) got the 5th. PP was bouncing.
But another game that sticks in the memory was v Portsmouth in the Ivano Bonetti season. Branch scored twice, they got back to 2-2, then 3-3 and in injury time Ivano popped up and scored the winner 4-3. Another memorable Friday night game. That phuqqer with the bell was tinkling away in the Cowshed, but it went quiet at the end!

Date: 07 November, 2018 11:37

haha love how its referred to as the ivano bonnetti season

he destroyed us the season before when he was at grimsby; was one of the best individual performances i've seen by an away player at PP [i think lee bowyer running the game as a 17 year old for charlton, and hoddle doing the same as a sweeper are two others that really stand out]

bonetti signing for us had me like a kid at christmas excited. was the portsmouth game televised, have a vague recollection of sprinting to the Prenton to see the replays of the goals, but i could be wrong.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net