Lowest Attendance
Posted by: Prenton Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 01:16

I would think the recent City u-21 game was the lowest crowd for a 1st team home game. I remember a game on a Friday night (late 70s/early 80s), v Exeter I think, the attendance was below 1,000. Solihull Moors (FAT) was a low crowd last season, probably lowest away attendance. Maybe you know otherwise?

Re: Lowest Attendance
Posted by: Steve45 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 02:11

What was the attendance for the city u21 game?

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 06:43

Quote:
Steve45
747. . .by the way Burton had just over 200 last nite for there game against Middlesbrough. Surely next yet the competition will change

Posted by: Steve45 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 08:17

Quote:
Loyden1
Quote:
Steve45
747. . .by the way Burton had just over 200 last nite for there game against Middlesbrough. Surely next yet the competition will change
Thanks.

Posted by: coltran (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 09:42

I attended the Exeter game in 1979 when the attendance was 984. It was played on a bitterly cold night during a snowstorm on 16th March 1979 during John King's first stint as manager and during a poor run of results. We were in the old 3rd Division that season and were relegated in 23rd position at the end of the season. (Lincoln finished 24th and were relegated with us). Mark Palios as sub wore the No 12 shirt for the occasion. Ironically, from memory it was an entertaining game and one of our better performances that season that ended 2-2.

The team was - 1 Johnson, 2 Cliff, 3 Mathias, 4 Parry, 5 Bramhall, 6 Evans, 7 Craven,

8 O'Neill, 9 Kerr, 10 Peplow, 11 McAuley. Sub 12 Palios

Goalscorers were Kerr & Palios.

Data obtained from the publication "Tranmere Rovers The Complete Record"

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 09:59

Yes I was at that one to ,I thought it was 700 on my lowest attendance quote,but 200 at Burton last night is a joke let’s bin this stupid competition no one wants

Posted by: Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 11:10

Quote:
Loyden1

People said the same when this happened last season. There is more media coverage of the competition, mostly through newspapers picking on a Man City result and reporting a game to a large audience. This gets Checkatrade's name more widely seen, so there is more sponsor money coming in.

Under the old format clubs didn't get big enough attendances to justify the competition, so sadly I think we're stuck with this. It doesn't sell well to lower league fans in the UK, but it's great for publicity of the sponsor in the far east. I suspect the next sponsor will be a company within that market - and it's not unthinkable that the U21 clubs will play their home matches at midday on Tuesdays to maximise TV viewers in other parts of the world. If fans aren't going to the games, the organisers won't worry that people cannot attend them.

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 22:52

Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
let’s bin this stupid competition no one wants

Where's your hard evidence that noone wants it, because unless you're privvy to what most league 1 and 2 chairmen and managers think of it, I don't understand how you can make such a bold unquantified statement.

I'm not criticising you, just making a astatement smiling smiley.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 23:51

Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
let’s bin this stupid competition no one wants

Where's your hard evidence that noone wants it, because unless you're privvy to what most league 1 and 2 chairmen and managers think of it, I don't understand how you can make such a bold unquantified statement.

I'm not criticising you, just making a astatement smiling smiley.
although I don't agree with the format there is more money to be made so the board must want it (just font know why the team didn't seem to want it after leading crewe)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net