A case for the defence ?
Posted by: nlrover (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2019 08:36

Struggling to get my head around who will be in our defence on Saturday....
Manny and Jake are nailed on but who else at CB and LB ?
Ellis out injured ?
Did Nelson go off at HT injured or was it tactical ?
Gumbs is an obvious shout but he went off injured too ?
Bucko can do a job at CB but I wouldn't be comfortable given his lack of fitness / game time and against a potent strike force like Bury.
Steeeve has disappeared off the face of the earth !
Then at LB, will he play Rides or stick with Zoum ?
A bit further up the pitch, if he is fit, I'd throw Perkins straight back in with Harris in the middle of the park and put Banks on the bench.
I'd go ( if all fit )
Davies
Caprice Gumbs Monthe Ridehalgh
Morris Perkins Harris Pringle
Jennings
Norwood
Subs:
Pilling
Bakayogo
Buxton
Banks
Smith
Tollitt
Mullin

Re: A case for the defence ?
Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2019 08:49

Perkins has done a hammy hasn’t he can’t see him being fit, need everyone for the playoffs, guess Nelson and zoom will start or he could go 3 at the back of we are really struggling

Posted by: FredUrmson107in333 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2019 10:41

Quote:
Bored rover
Perkins has done a hammy hasn’t he can’t see him being fit, need everyone for the playoffs, guess Nelson and zoom will start or he could go 3 at the back of we are really struggling

Depends entirely on how bad the tear was. Recovery can take from around a week to a few months. As he is still missing it seems likely it is the worse type of tear . We will see.

Date: 24 April, 2019 10:42

Quote:
Bored rover

Depends entirely on how bad the tear was. Recovery can take from around a week to a few months. As he is still missing it seems likely it is the worse type of tear . We will see.

Posted by: rossb07 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2019 11:14

Didn’t MM say that Perks was back for the Bury game sometime last week?

Not a clue on the defence though, will give us all and Bury something to ponder until 2pm on Saturday.

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2019 12:29

Nelson injured ,shoulder injury .its shades of the playoff final against FGR .a lot of injuries .i would rest most of the team till the semi-finals .we are assured of playoffs it’s only 2games left ,results don’t matter now ,and yes automatic promotion has gone ,get fit who we can for the playoffs give Stockton !Tollitt a couple of games see how they shape up along with Dagnall Buxton .makes sense to me

Date: 24 April, 2019 13:24

Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Nelson injured ,shoulder injury .its shades of the playoff final against FGR .a lot of injuries .i would rest most of the team till the semi-finals .we are assured of playoffs it’s only 2games left ,results don’t matter now ,and yes automatic promotion has gone ,get fit who we can for the playoffs give Stockton !Tollitt a couple of games see how they shape up along with Dagnall Buxton .makes sense to me

95% assured. Newport and Exeter could technically overtake Tranmere if they win all their games Tranmere lose their games and the goal difference is bettered.

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2019 13:38

We've got to play a full strength team while there's still a mathematical chance of automatic, however unlikely it is over the last two games. Imagine if we did spew it and the others above us slipped up - MM would arguably be facing the sack!

If automatic has gone after Saturday he might rest a few for Crawley but we surely want to be at home for the second leg of the playoffs, so finishing 4th or 5th is still important.

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2019 14:24

Quote:
FredUrmson107in333
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

95% assured. Newport and Exeter could technically overtake Tranmere if they win all their games Tranmere lose their games and the goal difference is bettered.

Newport still have to play Oldham..Oldham still have a chance of getting that final play off berth but it wont be easy for them coz 2 of their final 3 are away at exeter and Newport..Newport can overtake us but Oldham can't.

Posted by: ADD (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2019 18:08

Quote:
FredUrmson107in333
Quote:
Bored rover

Thankfully Fred, MM confirmed it was only a grade 1 Tear which is the least severe. He travelled with the squad to Lincoln so he can't be that far away and MM confirmed that. I think there is a decent chance he could make Saturday.

Date: 24 April, 2019 18:50

Quote:
ADD
Quote:
FredUrmson107in333
Quote:
Bored rover

Thankfully Fred, MM confirmed it was only a grade 1 Tear which is the least severe. He travelled with the squad to Lincoln so he can't be that far away and MM confirmed that. I think there is a decent chance he could make Saturday.

Good news. I had a grade 1 a couple of times and was certainly fit enough again after 2 weeks , so he should be ok.

Posted by: jal jal (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2019 20:23

Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
FredUrmson107in333
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

Newport still have to play Oldham..Oldham still have a chance of getting that final play off berth but it wont be easy for them coz 2 of their final 3 are away at exeter and Newport..Newport can overtake us but Oldham can't.

City play Newport on Saturday at Newport so I hope that's 3pts Newport won't get, last season it ended 0-0, this year we are a little better so we should come away with a win

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 25 April, 2019 18:04

Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
We've got to play a full strength team while there's still a mathematical chance of automatic, however unlikely it is over the last two games. Imagine if we did spew it and the others above us slipped up - MM would arguably be facing the sack!
If automatic has gone after Saturday he might rest a few for Crawley but we surely want to be at home for the second leg of the playoffs, so finishing 4th or 5th is still important.

Possibly but I think what separates the good managers from the average is knowing when to quit, if we play full strength team now when we are counting on 3 other teams results plus our own and go into the playoffs @ 70% strength would we better playing reserves now getting them match fit to add strength from the bench and giving others the chance to heal we then may go in @85%?

Posted by: Prenton Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2019 13:06

The only way that we can miss out on the play-offs by my estimation is: Newport win all 3 games and Exeter win their 2 and we lose twice. We are 5 goals better off than Exeter. So a point for us v Bury or points dropped by Newport and we're there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net