Memory lane
Posted by: ming05 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 09:04

I am sure we have mentioned here and there our favourite memories of games .

But let's get those grey matters working.

Mine is the 5-2 win over west ham . Around 1995 unsure when.

Re: Memory lane
Posted by: the baldy one (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 09:35

ming 05 - as most people know on here I started to watch Tranmere in approx. 1981 and just talking about games played at prenton park since then - that west ham united match is 2nd on my list. just a few stats about that match - it was played in late 1992 I think and it was a night match. west ham united had just been relegated from the old division 1 and still had basically a top division squad. I was in the cowshed for the match and we tore them apart 5-2 with john Aldridge getting 3. the attendance was nearly 12000. but my best ever game at prenton park for me since 1981 has to be the league cup semi final 1st leg v aston villa 3-1. at the time in 1994 - villa were one of the best teams in the country and had international players all over the place but again we tore them apart. the attendance was nearly 17000 a full house. we should of got to the final but we were robbed about 4 times in the 2nd leg. but to actually say what the best game is I have been to in my whole life is very hard as we have been to Wembley a few times.

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 10:20

I still go for the FA cup comeback 3-0 down to beat Southampton 4-3 .i was at that West Ham game to and if memory serves me we beat Birmingham city 5-1 the same season. the Aston Villa game was brilliant but when Dylan Atkinson got that last minute goal most suspected we were doomed .the penalty shoot out was soul destroying ,we had a chance to win it but I forget who missed his penalty ,then they didn’t ,but what 2games they were. attended both my first big game FA cup v Spurs 1-1 1952/3 lost replay 9-1 sir Alf Ramsey was in that team

Date: 18 July, 2019 10:43

fiftyyearsarover- it was liam Obrien who missed his penalty at villa park that stopped us from winning. but I have a fact for every single Tranmere rovers fan about liam Obrien and penalty shoot outs. THE FACT IS - IN HIS WHOLE CAREER LIAM OBRIEN TOOK PART IN 4 DIFFERENT PENALTY SHOOT OUTS 2 FOR NEWCASTLE UNITED AND 2 FOR TRANMERE ROVERS AND HE MISSED ALL 4 PENALTYS HE TOOK IN THE SHOOT OUTS.

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 11:08

Top two favourite memories for me from a strong shortlist of about a dozen are:

1) St Yates' Day, the FA Cup humiliation of Everton in their own back yard. Still dining out on that today with my Bluenose buddies.

2) the 3-0 thumping of Bolton at Prenton in the League Cup semi. The atmosphere was electric, we absolutely battered them and actually making it to a League Cup Final went a long way to putting the heartache of the semi-final defeat to Villa to bed.

These are my two favourites because of the sheer joy and excitement of the whole occasion, made even better by doing it against those particular opponents.

Equally memorable, but in a completely different way, is the Boreham Wood final - the most gut-wrenching torture I've ever endured at a match, the deepest I've ever seen a team dig to get a victory and possibly the most important game in our history. A unique feeling after that one, but not one I'd care to repeat! Defeat in that, and in that manner, would've been unbearable.

Posted by: 2 the moon (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 12:55

Quote:
the baldy one
fiftyyearsarover- it was liam Obrien who missed his penalty at villa park that stopped us from winning. but I have a fact for every single Tranmere rovers fan about liam Obrien and penalty shoot outs. THE FACT IS - IN HIS WHOLE CAREER LIAM OBRIEN TOOK PART IN 4 DIFFERENT PENALTY SHOOT OUTS 2 FOR NEWCASTLE UNITED AND 2 FOR TRANMERE ROVERS AND HE MISSED ALL 4 PENALTYS HE TOOK IN THE SHOOT OUTS.
Irons, Thomas, Higgy and Aldo scored
Brannan, O'Brien, Nolan missed

Posted by: sparky100 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 13:14

August 1969 aged 9. First game of the season in league 3 and first game at PP for me against Stockport County (still got the programme). Won 3 -0. Remember as clear as yesterday sitting on my Granddads shoulders and enjoying every minute (No health and safety then 😀)! Never looked back since.

Date: 18 July, 2019 14:33

one of the best away games I went to was - I think it was either 1988 or 1989 in a league cup 1st round 1st leg game at preston north end deepdale. we won 4-3 and preston equalised 3 times through a graham shaw hattrick but eddie bishop scored a late winner right in front of the packed away end. chris malkin with 2 and ian muir also scored. it was when preston north end still had the plastic pitch.

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 17:49

Quote:
2 the moon
Quote:
the baldy one
Irons, Thomas, Higgy and Aldo scored
Brannan, O'Brien, Nolan missed

Who can remember Frank Bruno being at Villa Park for that 2nd leg? Bruno was big time box office then and I think a month or so earlier he had fought at the NEC in Birmingham in a big heavyweight bout and then about 1 year later he became world heavyweight champion..he came on to the pitch at Villa and was introduced to the crowd ( cannot remember if it was before the game or at half time ) and with a large microphone in his hand, he turned to the Villa fans, thanking them and saying I have so many great fans in Birmingham, he then turned to all us 5,000 Rovers fans and thanked us for our support and saying that he also had many great friends up in Liverpool,, Sorry Frank mate, its Birkenhead, that's what u should have said.. I was absolutely gutted when we lost and when exiting the ground I turned to one of the Villa stewards ( he had a big beaming smile across his face ) and said " you f*cking jammy Villa tw*ts!" I really wanted to lay into him...the drive back up the M6 was awful, not a word spoken amongst the 4 of us for the whole trip back.

Posted by: the kav (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 18:35

3-2 home to grimsby..... mccarrick!!!

Posted by: Tranmere69 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 19:28

Any game when Tranmere won but especially the defeat of Exeter to stay In the league.

Posted by: EBAWB (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 20:07

Quote:
the kav
With his arm in a sling or is my memory playing tricks? What I can remember is standing in the paddock directly behind where M C hit it and watching it all the way into the net. One of my favorite matches for sure.

Every ball's a white ball

Posted by: rak (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 20:18

A few from me - will stick with my first season of going to Tranmere 1982/83

1st game I saw V Hull City lost 0-1 season 82/83. Sadly Les Parry suffered a bad injury in this game

1st Tranmere goal I saw Steve Mungall v Colchester - lost 2-4 after being 3 down early on. Nigel Adkins' debut

1st big crowd I was in v Wolves FA Cup 3rd round - lost 0-1

1st Tranmere win I saw v York 3-0. With goals from Oliver , Aspinall and Kerr. Kerr's goal sticks in the mind as being a fine diving header

Posted by: Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 20:52

Quote:
the kav

My normal choice of game when this comes up too. What an atmosphere there was that evening.

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2019 08:14

Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Quote:
the kav

My normal choice of game when this comes up too. What an atmosphere there was that evening.

I missed that game, I was crook in bed with food poisoning, managed to listen to the game from my sick bed at home , they had live commentary on Radio City..I had just about recovered to get to the Crewe promotion game 4 days later but was still feeling a tad queasy..

Posted by: the kav (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2019 15:34

Spot on lads . Had his arm in a sling for about 60 mins. Ex watford cup final goaly steve Sherwood played for them and looked a forlorn figure at the end

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2019 17:51

I was at a rovers v Grimsby game brilliant game ,was that the one were we where 2-1 down .scored winner at cowshed end

Posted by: Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2019 18:10

2 nil down very quickly. Penultimate game of the Div4 promotion season. Think it was a Tuesday evening with the Crewe decider scheduled for Saturday. If we hadn't come back then I think we would have needed to beat Crewe to guarantee promotion.

Posted by: This is sh1t (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2019 19:50

Most emotional = boreham wood final , don’t think we will have another one like that with so much at stake for the club.
Favorite St Yates day
Funniest 0-4 v Crewe, after 20 minutes some Tranmere fans coming in late asking the score and was already 0-4!
Strangest - can’t remember against who but early 90’s home game in thick fog and couldn’t see past 1/2 way line , we won but didn’t see the goal at Kop end.
Biggest potential not reached - Murphy, was never the same after his shoulder injury
Fav player - tank, but can’t say why !
Most under rated player Gary Jones , great at holding the ball and always gave all but was slated as no speed and couldn’t jump
Ex player who did best since leaving - John Achterberg, ok not as a player but as a coach he’s made it to the top - also still gutted for him he didn’t play in cup final

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net