Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Posted by: hippogunner
Date: 07/03/2018 08:44
As many know I've been a critic of Wenger for years. It's now ten years in fact since I first felt he should have been moved on. Of course any big club would have gently shoved him through the exit door if not ten years ago, certainly six or seven years ago. Back in 2008 I thought he'd probably be gone by 2014 at the latest. Then we did a miraculous thing and won a trophy and that was deemed proof of his necessity to the club.

Now the current climate is as toxic as it has ever been. Fans are still divided and though I think that Wenger's support has dwindled to its lowest since his time at Arsenal there are still fans willing to fight in his honour. It's an embarrassment.

You only have to pay a visit to a staunch Wenger apologist site called Untold Arsenal to see how Wenger's aura can still remain unblemished. There they are forever dreaming up wild conspiracy theories based on their so-called ref reviews in which it seems every single game we should have won with the odd draw thrown in, for the sake of realism I suppose.

For instance the year Leicester won the league they, or someone called Andrew Crenshaw, calculated that Arsenal should have had 107 pts. Now to achieve that, a points total that even the current City side can't amass, Arsenal would have had to won 35 games, drawn two and lost one. I wonder if any side in any league has ever managed that. And this remember was an Arsenal squad far inferior to the Invincibles.

When I queried their methods I got no debate, merely a brush off. They maintain that the PGMOL has a conspiracy against Arsenal but could they tell me how logistically this could be done or, more to the point, why? They could not.

And this is what we're dealing with. The absolute denial of the main immediate problem at Arsenal, the manager. I believe the fan base is finally drifting towards a Wenger out stance but you still get Wenger apologists. I call them enablers. The fans are not the worst in this respect, the true culprits are the spineless board and the owner who have let this farce fizzle on now like a damp firework hoping it'll explode into life. It won't. Wenger won't win the league again, he'll probably not make the top four again and he'll never win the CL.

When a multitude of fans from other clubs hold up signs indicating they want Wenger to stay you know your manager is finished. But the enablers, those with the power to rid us of this barnacle, are too cowardly and indifferent to act. They are enemies of ambition. The money's still pouring in, that's their succour, albeit probably not at the levels it was a few years ago.

I'll make a bold claim that if we don't win at least five of our remaining games, if we should lose five or six, then we'll be in a relegation battle next year. You can sense when a team is on the up. When Everton had a great run at the end of the 8384 season I wasn't surprised they won the league. They had an unstoppable impetus. And that can work in the reverse. A team that finishes a season ignominiously can carry that form into the following season.

Certain factors point to this: a weak manager, a team with no identity, a team that lacks fighters, a team low on confidence, a team where half the players appear to want out, a club that has very little attraction for good players. We don't have the spirit of a Swansea, a Bournemouth or a Crystal Palace. In short, the manager must go.

Yes Wenger is done but I can't aim all my ire at him, I reserve the majority of it for the enablers, they're the ones who have put Arsenal where they are

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing