Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: The 3G pitch debate
Posted by: terribletid
Date: 28/12/2017 13:18
hong kong rover
It would be easy to spare any L2 teams that would drop down, as a result of any club(s) with a 3G surface getting promoted the drop, then the club(s) with a 3G surface would stay put and the NLN and NLS teams going up would not be affected and could still stay up.
This would negate any reason to deny those teams a rightful promotion from the two feeder leagues.

+1 this would be the fair and sensible way to deal with the situation, if it were to arise.. being threatened with relegation is too harsh.

But say Tranmere finish 2nd behind Sutton, just for the sake of the argument. Would we all really agree in such a situation that Tranmere shouldn't go up automatically (and that fewer teams should be promoted into League 2) just because Sutton participated while knowing that they couldn't actually be promoted with a fake pitch? It's already hard enough to get into the Football League...

I think the current rules are perfectly reasonable. The clubs know what the rules are, so shouldn't be moaning. This came up last year, before Bromley installed their pitch for example.

The main question is whether the EFL rules should change to permit plastic pitches. I'm all in favour of cost reductions but I'm not 100% convinced yet. Having watched games in Sutton, Maidstone and Bromley, the pitch certainly does play differently and could constitute an unfair advantage for the home side? Witness Sutton's cup run last year. They're also regularly terrible games - probably due as much to the clubs in question although partly also the opposition trying to get to grips with the pitch I suspect.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing