Barton Sentenced - Official Club Statement
By Tyne-Talk
July 1 2008
Joey Barton has been spared jail after he pleaded guilty yesterday to assault on former Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo despite previously denying the allegations. The 25 year old who is due for release next week from his current 6 month sentence for a seperate assault which took place in December 2007 has been served with a 4 month suspended sentence for 2 years instead of a jail term.
On sentencing Judge Mushtaq Khokhar said:
"As a professional footballer you are someone who is talented and greatly idolised by young and old alike whether you are playing at Manchester City and now at Newcastle United.
You are constantly in the public eye. You have a high profile, there would be instances of provocations ... being an idol brings with it responsibilities which you have to carry with you all the time.
You want to be setting an example, particularly to those who idolise you, particularly youngsters who look up to you."
The prosecution's Richard Vardon described the assault as an
"explosive combination of football and violence".
The official Newcastle United website has the following statement:
"Newcastle United notes the sentence passed to Joey Barton at Manchester's Minshull Street Crown Court today
The club now intends to hold discussions with Joey and his representatives at the earliest possible opportunity.
Until such time that this meeting has taken place, there will be no further comment from the club."
Have your say by registering or logging on to the Tyne-Talk message boards!



When we signed him, we knew what we were taking on. Plus they dont want to waste the 5.8 m we paid for him. If we cancel his contract then he would go for free.
From now to Xmas he has to prove himself. Otherwise I can see him being shipped out on loan in Jan (if someone would take him).
Maybe will all this behind him, he can finally move on and start putting in some good performances.
wasn't his move to Newacastle supposed to be his fresh start? His last chance was his move to Newcastle in my opinion. And he was told that.
Do you really think he has learned his lesson? I will not be surprised in the least if he gets in trouble next season.
It beggars belief how he got a 4 month sentence suspended 2 years, having already been convicted and thrown in jail for a separte assault charge.
Imagine if any of us were on trial for what he did, how long do you think we'd all get?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008:07:02:05:55:39 by Andy Cole.
money talks



