Laurie Dalrymple sacked
Posted by: chicagowolf (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2019 11:55

That’s a strange one. Wonder if anyone saw that coming?
With the China trip coming quickly it begs the question if there was some disagreement about that.
Hopefully this won’t affect the team.

Re: Laurie Dalrymple sacked
Posted by: Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2019 12:28

I agree Chicago,
Very strange and no information coming from Laurie or the club.
No doubt we will be told in due course. Seems a shame as it felt that he was doing a good job.

Posted by: Cheshire wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2019 11:15

Still very little information about this development, but of course plenty of conjecture from the likes of Tim Spiers. It does seem a shame as Laurie was seen to be much closer involved with the fans and to have learned from the mistakes made by Moxey and co. before him

I think what it does go to show though is that these Chinese investors take no prisoners - if they are not happy then they will get rid. I'm sure Nuno will be conscious of this too, and it will perhaps put a question mark over just how long Thelwell will survive in his role.

Posted by: oldngold (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2019 21:56

Whilst Dalrymple appears to have done a good job. Fosun may have considered that they need a bigger heavyweight player to manage and lead the global commercial development and especially the ground redevelopment.

However, the speed of the decision and not having anyone lined up to replace him suggests that Dalrymple could have just overstepped his mark once too often for Fosun.

It could be that there were more significant differences on ground redevelopment than have appeared in the press. Getting that right could be Fosun's biggest challenge. It has been tripping up and holding the club back for decades.

Date: 29 July, 2019 22:04

Fosun may still believe that a brand new build at another location with council and government supporting with infrastructure and business development is still their preferred approach. They were initially talking about 60,000 seat stadiums just 18 months ago, and were considering other locations in the area.

Are Fosun unhappy about being committed to the current site? And Dalrymple, who I believe was a strong advocate for remaining at Molineux, has been shot because of that?

We'll learn soon enough

Posted by: chicagowolf (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2019 11:44

Possibly? We all get a kick out of knowing that it is still Molineux and it is still in the same spot as it was all those years ago. A new out-of-town stadium would certainly cause a huge outcry; they already sent up that trial balloon, which was dutifully shot down. But how much of an outcry? The signs of a new PR campaign to move it to a spiffy new Fosun Stadium ( the old name would of course be ‘retired’ out of respect) might start soon. Hints in the E&S that the council are not willing to share the dream, promises of all the fabulous facilities, pledges to try ‘all avenues’ to shoehorn this fabulous vision of the future into this tiny, inadequate space down the Waterloo Rd. Fanciful? Maybe.
But stadiums (stadia?) DO move, and get renamed (ask Bolton; what happened to them?). There is always outcry and it always settles down. Are Wolves special? Different? I hope so.

Posted by: an angry wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2019 10:09

I'd sooner remain at Molineux with less revenue than move into " The fosun stadium".. without your history as a football club you cease being the same club and keeping traditions are integral to maintaining the integrity of any club. I cringe with some of the names being branded around now like the "bet 365 arena " and hope we remain at Molineux indefinitely albeit with an increased capacity. The only way you could advocate moving from Molineux is if our fan base outgrows any potential capacity increase on the current site when you could then make a sustained argument for getting a new stadium, but even then I would hope the Molineux name would at least be incorporated in it.

Regarding Dalrymple, he is one of the few remaining stalwarts here from the Morgan era, and if Fosun think he is incompetent or at odds with what they are doing here then I trust them over a former Morgan lackey.

Date: 18 August, 2019 18:06

Fosun's view is the current site is too restrictive for them to develop the way they would like. Also the University have just finished the Business School building which makes the room behind the Steve Bull very tight to build a new stand with the corporate facilities and centre piece that Fosun are looking for.

That is before you look at how tight things are on the Waterloo road side. The orientation of the ground doesn't help as it is NNW rather than NNE which would be better.

I think strong differences of opinion around the ground redevelopment are the most obvious reason why Dalrymple was terminated so suddenly with no succession in place.

They can increase the capacity on the current site, but I don't think Fosun just want to increase capacity they want a bigger site they can develop the corporate and business side & they clearly believe this is limited on the current site.

They are currently in talks with the council and the University, and possibly Asda as well about how they would like to see things moving forward. Having got everything right in the playing area, getting this right is going to be just as important.

The mis management of the ground development, along with missed opportunities further in the past have almost destroyed the club before. And the council had better give Fosun as much leeway as possible.

Could alternative sites be considered in the City?

There are areas of blight in the city that could be transformed with a multi hundred million pound investment from Fosun. Along the A41, north of Cable street is a large area that is derelict opposite the canal surrounded by scrap yards and breakers. And then on the other side of the Bilston Road just a bit further down you've got Monmore Green (Dog Track) also surrounded by scrap yards and breakers, which is a big area south of East park.

These areas are within the boundary of the SW of the City and with improved road, rail & light rail links would set the ground in the middle of the major population centre drawing from Wolvo, Bilston, Tipton, Willenhall, Darlaston etc. It would draw more in from Dudley and decent links would allow support coming from Staffordshire & Walsall would still come in along the Black country way.

Not the most fashionable area surrounded by council & industrial estates. But I think if done right would be an even more formidable place to come.

As well as transforming a run down part of the City. Molineux itself could be turned into an Athletics and multi sport stadium and entertainment centre and centre of excellent jointly developed alongside Wolverhampton University and other national and regional sports associations.

Maybe Fosun can come to agreement with the Council, Asda and the University and can find a model and an approach to developing the ground the way they want to, but I think it is going to be a bigger challenge than getting into the top 6.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2019 18:42 by oldngold.

Date: 18 August, 2019 18:16

Just one other point about the timing of Dalrymple's departure. It was shortly after the artist's impressions of the new Molineux were published in the E&S. Looking at them again it is clear that stadium has no chance of fitting into the current site & were not plans but artist's impressions.

Could it be Dalrymple has pushed this view beyond where Fosun wanted to commit to at this stage?

Did he commission the artist's impressions, publishing them at that media event without fully informing Fosun?

He was terminated a few weeks later due to irreconcilable differences with the Fosun Board.

Given ground redevelopment is always a difficult and highly political issue for any club, and with evidence of Fosun and Dalrymple communicating contrary views on this subject during the course of the previous 18 months, and no succession in place, does suggest this as the most likely root cause of his sudden sacking.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2019 18:36 by oldngold.

Posted by: maiseytaw (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 10:00

There were rumours at the time of his sacking that he'd been caught applying for a job at Harlequins. Turns out that this was indeed true.

Posted by: Cheshire wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2019 11:02

It was also announced last week that he has now dropped his plans to take our club to an Employment Tribunal since starting his new post!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net