Current Page: 1 of 2
Poor transfer window so far
Posted by: an angry wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 14 July, 2019 16:29

Surprised given the ambition of Fosun and the rigours of European midweek football we have been so inactive in the transfer market.. you wonder if any of it is linked to dimple or whatever he's called being sacked

Re: Poor transfer window so far
Posted by: Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
Date: 14 July, 2019 19:25

Your right Angry, a bit worrying but I suppose that the transfer window is open for a while yet. Would be very disappointing if the club has let first team players go without having replacements lined up. The club has now got a reputation for being leakproof so we can only hope that there are developments regarding incoming players that we will be informed of in due course. Fingers crossed.

Posted by: cedric harper (IP Logged)
Date: 14 July, 2019 21:45

I think we can assume targets are set and negotiations are ongoing in secret as usual. However maybe something has gone wrong, hence the surprise sacking.

Posted by: chicagowolf (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2019 16:42

Yes this is terrifying. And under previous regimes everyone would be blowing a fuse by now, but Nuno and Fosun have built some trust.
However they have gambled and lost before with 'wanted' players slipping off the hook at the last minute when it was too late for other options. Let's hope our Super Agent pal has his finger on this one, and that we get a couple of breathtaking marquee signings before the window closes.

Posted by: Risca TM (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2019 08:46

I was hoping to pick up some news from on here on transfers as it's been so quiet. It worries me as clubs need to refresh and build after a good season to keep getting better. I don't think we can maintain the same high level and improve without strengthening the squad.

Date: 16 July, 2019 09:21

I suppose that as the quality of the team improves identifying additions that are above the existing level of skill becomes more difficult.

Posted by: oldngold (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2019 21:20

This is moving along. Vallejo has arrived and Cutrone should be confirmed tomorrow

Not sure if Nuno wants 1 or 2 more. Khedira would be a great move. He is only 32 and he is one of the finest midfielders over the last 10 years and excellent role model for all the younger guys in the squad. Him and Moutinho and Neves would rivalling any midfield trio in the league

And then Ruben Dias? I assume we'll continue to pursue him until this window closes.

What happened to Pap Cisse, I thought he was going to be coming?

I think we lack a genuine marquee number 10 and and another speedy forward / winger. Moise Kean would be great but I think Everton are going ahead with that.

Nice to be talking about this quality of player possibly coming to Wolves

Date: 30 July, 2019 23:35

Cutrone isnt good enough , scored 3 in 34 last season for milan and a career total of 13 goals in 63 Serie A games. An obscene amount of money spent on a very average player looking at those stats although they arent exactly renowned for goals in Italy

Date: 31 July, 2019 05:40

At only 21yrs old and playing in a different system I think he will prove a very good addition.
Time will tell but I am optimistic.

Posted by: maiseytaw (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2019 08:54

Quote:
an angry wolf
Cutrone isnt good enough , scored 3 in 34 last season for milan and a career total of 13 goals in 63 Serie A games. An obscene amount of money spent on a very average player looking at those stats although they arent exactly renowned for goals in Italy

Give the kid a chance, he's one of the hottest prospects in world football. £16-23m will be viewed as daylight robbery in 12-18 months time, I guarantee it.

Date: 31 July, 2019 09:59

I just think it's a strange set up where we are spending 20 million on a kid with potential. Id sooner bring in a proven goal scorer aged 30 contrary to a kid with a dubious goal scoring record at this stage of our development for that kind of cash. Of course its better than the Morgan days but it takes more than a high fifa rating on a computer game with a fancy name and price tag to convince me that kind of goal conversion will bring anything that we dont already have.

Date: 31 July, 2019 10:20

Quote:
an angry wolf
I just think it's a strange set up where we are spending 20 million on a kid with potential. Id sooner bring in a proven goal scorer aged 30 contrary to a kid with a dubious goal scoring record at this stage of our development for that kind of cash. Of course its better than the Morgan days but it takes more than a high fifa rating on a computer game with a fancy name and price tag to convince me that kind of goal conversion will bring anything that we dont already have.

I understand what you're saying, but £20million for a kid with (a lot of) potential is cheap in the current market. I honestly don't know where you could get a 30 year old proven goalscorer for even close to that price. You're looking £40m+ for that kind of player in current market prices, even towards their twilight days.

It's what the Wolves hierarchy these days see as a low risk investment in high potential, much like Neves, Vinagre, Jota. If it works out and he fulfils his (some would say undoubted) potential, we'll have a hell of a player on our books and, when the time comes, sell him on for 3-4 times what we paid for him. If it doesn't quite work out, £20million is not a big deal in Fosun's eyes, and he'll still have a similar re-sale value to what we paid.

It's identifying value in the market and investing wisely that Fosun have so far mastered; it's a huge part of why we find ourselves in the position we're currently in and no doubt is seen as the way we can truly break the Big Six monopoly. I completely trust their judgement - quite frankly, given their success to date, it's difficult not to.

Date: 31 July, 2019 13:26

Regardless of value , has anyone eulogising over him seen him kick a ball in anger? I doubt anyone has watched AC Milan once last season on here or on the mix, so we are all guessing really using sites like transfermakt.. no one can "guarantee " anything about him being value or not being value unless they were closet AC Milan season ticket holders.

His goal scoring record is relatively poor but I have no reason to doubt Fosun as you say given their track record. That said, I always find people giving concrete views on players they have never seen kick a ball in their lives on various sites very strange- the correct stance may well be he represents value in an over inflated transfer market but no one really knows having never seen him play and are guessing using google search engines and social media to form an opinion. The mix is hilarious with numerous people saying they have logged into football manager and see high scores so he must be good... who knows

One thing that certainly is true , is that fees for players have reached obscene proportions where you need to spend 10 million to guarantee a player that can run in a straight line it seems these days. How much would a steve bull be worth in todays transfer market?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/07/2019 13:28 by an angry wolf.

Date: 31 July, 2019 15:18

Quote:
an angry wolf
Regardless of value , has anyone eulogising over him seen him kick a ball in anger? I doubt anyone has watched AC Milan once last season on here or on the mix, so we are all guessing really using sites like transfermakt.. no one can "guarantee " anything about him being value or not being value unless they were closet AC Milan season ticket holders.
His goal scoring record is relatively poor but I have no reason to doubt Fosun as you say given their track record. That said, I always find people giving concrete views on players they have never seen kick a ball in their lives on various sites very strange- the correct stance may well be he represents value in an over inflated transfer market but no one really knows having never seen him play and are guessing using google search engines and social media to form an opinion. The mix is hilarious with numerous people saying they have logged into football manager and see high scores so he must be good... who knows

One thing that certainly is true , is that fees for players have reached obscene proportions where you need to spend 10 million to guarantee a player that can run in a straight line it seems these days. How much would a steve bull be worth in todays transfer market?

You're right, of course. I'm only going by his reputation, which is of a very talented young lad, often touted as one of the best young prospects in world football, who lost his way a little last year at a big club behind more established players but who is still very highly thought of. I believe £16m rising to £20m, or whatever the fee is, for a young centre forward of such reputation represents fantastic value in, as you describe, an hugely over-inflated market. You compare £16m for Cutrone to £25m for Tyrone Mings and I think it's quite easy to see who got the better deal. Incidentally, we capitalised on a similar situation with Neves as we have with Cutrone - selling club in trouble with FFP, needing to sell highly rated younger talent who haven't quite made themselves a fixture in selling club's first team. Fosun are very shrewd investors and I have no doubt, from their track record, that Cutrone will represent excellent value for money.

Steve Bull would be worth £60m+ in today's prices, no problem at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/07/2019 15:20 by maiseytaw.

Date: 19 October, 2019 23:01

Quote:
maiseytaw
Quote:
an angry wolf

Give the kid a chance, he's one of the hottest prospects in world football. £16-23m will be viewed as daylight robbery in 12-18 months time, I guarantee it.

I stand by my comments on the thread

Posted by: Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2019 13:42

It's still early days for Cutrone and maybe Nuno and his team can improve him like they have others but at the moment he doesn't look to be much of a goalscorer. I wouldn't doubt his commitment, he gives 100% and shows some nice touches but apart from his one goal so far, he hasn't looked much like scoring and in a full strength side I certainly wouldn't play him over a fully fit Jota. And I can't stand that bloody daft song they keep singing about him.
I hope to be wrong as I do with my concerns over Vallejo. Again he is a young player and it's early days playing in a different country but he doesn't seem to be physical enough or up to speed for the Premier League and for a player from the Real Madrid squad his distribution and passing isn't what I was expecting and not as good as Coady's or Boly's. Or Bennett's for that matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/10/2019 15:07 by Andy Fincher.

Date: 21 October, 2019 16:02

Quote:
an angry wolf
Quote:
maiseytaw
Quote:
an angry wolf

I stand by my comments on the thread

Give him time and he'll come good, as I said. He's trying too hard at present and that's having an impact on his performances. You can't fault his work-rate and I can see he has something about him that will make him a success. Traore was derided as a waste of money 18 months ago, yet within that time and a bit of coaching from Nuno he's becoming arguably one of our more important players and a real asset. As I say, give him a chance.

Date: 21 October, 2019 21:17

I never thought Traore was a waste of money but a striker that scored 3 in 34 for Milan last season isnt a goal scorer and never will be. Given he isnt a central midfielder, I'm not sure what he brings to the team other than a fancy name , hefty price tag and a reputation that seems to have been forged on video games and meaningless awards. If he was as good as implied Milan would never have sold him in the first place as lets face it , they're a bigger club than wolves and a more attractive option for a player. When you consider how dreadful Vallejo looks, it's fair to say the title of a poor transfer window was certainly the case having a squad no stronger than last season albeit no weaker as we havent sold anyone of note bar the dreadful costa which has caused a couple of board members to go into meltdown on here leaving for anyone having the temerity to say so lol.

Posted by: oldngold (IP Logged)
Date: 24 October, 2019 02:06

I think Cutrone could be moved on in the summer, probably back to Italy. I wouldn't think he will entertain a loan to the Championship.

Not sure he is suited or has the technical ability to play in a front 3 which is where I assume Nuno still wants us to play eventually.

Cutrone appears more and more to have been a punt rather than a well thought out acquisition.

Hope I am wrong and if he turns out to be the next Inzhagi then you can bring this post back to tell me you told me so.

Date: 24 October, 2019 09:57

We should not judge him on the few opportunities that he has had so far.
He is a young talent still integrating into the squad and confronted by the unforgiving pressure of the Premier League. I feel that he will rise to the occasion and that he will prove to be a great asset.
A goal or two will do his confidence the world of good, not that he looks short on confidence now which augers well for the future.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net