Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Poor transfer window so far
Posted by: chicagowolf (IP Logged)
Date: 24 October, 2019 15:52

Thanks for revisiting this one. We do seem to be in a bit of a Chicken Coming Home To Roost Time, with our poor transfer window being compounded with a spate of injuries, which up to now we have been mercifully spared. All those fabulous tales of the Compton team, diet, warm ups, scientific biorythm feedback and other hocus pocus were fun, but you have to assume that other ‘top’ teams might also have knowledge of these practices?
Cutrone has not been great (to say the least) and Vallejo was laughably bad (possibly we may not see him again).
The combination of weak hires, injuries and a brutal schedule will test Wolves and Nuno a lot!
Meantime Wolves’s trip today to Alton Towers Bratislava is on TV here ONLY ON A SPANISH CHANNEL. Manure’s game of course is on an English speaking station. Hmmmm.

Posted by: ` (IP Logged)
Date: 24 October, 2019 20:06

Quote:
Lupinehowler
We should not judge him on the few opportunities that he has had so far.
He is a young talent still integrating into the squad and confronted by the unforgiving pressure of the Premier League. I feel that he will rise to the occasion and that he will prove to be a great asset.
A goal or two will do his confidence the world of good, not that he looks short on confidence now which augers well for the future.

This is the kind of rhetoric that we heard in the Morgan regime lupine - " young talent (lol have you seen his record for milan), squad building etc. It's obvious he isn't good enough and mitigating mediocrity is what has been holding wolves back for decades. He's had few opportunities as Nuno realises we have better players in the squad which is saying something when you consider our attacking options or lack of them. It takes more than a fancy name and a high rating on a computer game to be a quality player.. he was brought off at HT because he's dreadful which also explains why he isn't getting regular starts either. We hear the same thing with MGW and being young and hungry etc .. age has nothing to do with it. They're both not up to it I'm afraid although you could at least say Cutrone has had less opportunities than the hapless MGW.. Id drive the latter to Accrington Stanley myself

Posted by: wolf123 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 01:28

Quote:
maiseytaw
Quote:
an angry wolf
Cutrone isnt good enough , scored 3 in 34 last season for milan and a career total of 13 goals in 63 Serie A games. An obscene amount of money spent on a very average player looking at those stats although they arent exactly renowned for goals in Italy

Give the kid a chance, he's one of the hottest prospects in world football. £16-23m will be viewed as daylight robbery in 12-18 months time, I guarantee it.

Well he's off to Fiorentina for 18 months unable to hit a barn door from 6 yards out. I'd go so far as to say bar Roger Johnson, when you consider the price tag he's probably the worst value signing wolves had made since we were formed nearly 150 years ago which takes some doing.

If this kid is one of the hottest prospects in football I'm the voice over for sue in the sooty show

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 01:31 by wolf123.

Posted by: chicagowolf (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 05:35

Every club gets players that don’t work - duds - for all sorts of reasons. The bigger the club the bigger the investment the bigger the waste the bigger the disappointment.
We are becoming, might even be, sometime soon, maybe, a big club again.
Relax, we have a a sugar-daddy; what could go wrong?

Posted by: Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 10:26

My knowledge now of the international transfer market is limited - I can’t keep up, so rather than suggesting (or screaming for, I’m too old for that) players to bring in I tend to wait to see who’s arrived and watch them play. Luckily as a supporter, player recruitment is not my responsibility and lies firmly with Fosun, Treadwell, Nuno, Mendez etc. Nevertheless yesterday v Newcastle, the paucity of players able to change things from the bench was striking. Given the way the match went, perhaps Nuno’s agrees, only opting to change Neto for Vinagre. Unlikely that it was a substitution which would change things dramatically, and so it proved.
So to unlock the defences of the likes the Toon, Watford and a poor Manchester United, we need an added spark and new recruits. Okay, a statement of the bleeding obvious, but Newcastle were there for the taking by a side with a little more invention than us on the day.
What do we need? Well, someone to knock it in the back of the net, of course, a player in addition to Jota who is capable of getting in the box to support Jimenez for some of these great crosses we are seeing but with nobody to get onto them. Might this warrant a slightly different style of play on occasions? Also a midfielder who can press up in attack to supplement the fabulous ball skills of Moutinho and Neves but who can support our front line ..... somebody slightly different.
Sadly, January for a growing number of years, has not proved to be a successful hunting ground for new talent, any hidden gems a bit like finding a truffle without a pig, so it’s down to our highly paid recruitment structure to earn their corn to support Nuno in our quest!
Not sure where we are with Jota coming back, or Big Willy. Our team has performed so well once again this season and hopefully we’re only experiencing a dip. I also like the principle of tight squads, a difficult trick to pull off but done extremely well so far at Wolves, however the last few weeks have only strengthened my feelings that we’re only a couple more injuries away from a dip that just might last a bit longer than any of us want!
UTW

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Posted by: Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 10:58

Good new players will always be welcome and we do need to bolster the squad or risk an implosion of form due to injuries, suspension and loss of player form/fitness.
However, any new players coming in will undoubtedly be expected to slot into the current formation and playing style so I do wonder what advances we will make other than having a better level of backup. We are very pedestrian playing the ball out from the back which allows teams far too much time to organise themselves defensively and get players behind the ball which will always make it difficult for us.
Whilst I am not advocating any form of long ball game until we put pressure on teams more rapidly giving our forwards some chance of one on one we will continue to be faced with packed defences with Raul surrounded and the threat snuffed out. Absolutely rate Traore and Jota but they should not have to shoulder the bulk of the teams attacking threat and some greater movement between the front three might serve to further disorientate a defensive line.
I sometimes wonder if Traore might give us some greater advantage filling the gap between midfield and striker, with Jota and Neto the wide options
Just me ranting really but always Wolves.

Date: 12 January, 2020 13:10

People realise that this thread was for last summers transfer window and not this one? I brought it up primarily because we had someone " guaranteeing" 20 odd million spent on Cutrone would be a wise investment. These claims are often made on football forums based on playing fifa and football manager annoying the hell out of me with no base to substantiate them- the stats of the player pointed to the opposite and so have the performances. It was the same on the mix with people playing football manager and viewing numbers given to the player eulogising about someone they have never seen kick a ball banging on about an award he apparently won which has the same credibility as that loon chris Kamara rocking back and forth in his chair dribbling about a player of the months award in the sky sports studio . He's a flop and over 20 million pounds is a disgusting amount of money. Of course we aren't the worst offenders in spending money, but imagine the lives that money could save if it was invested in healthcare instead of this useless carthorse that can't hit a barn door paid obscene amounts of money per week to be unfit for purpose. Good riddance

Date: 12 January, 2020 13:59

People realise that this thread was for last summers transfer window and not this one? “ Yes.

But if the cap fits! We’re now 12th January and this transfer window could easily be a very quiet one.

As for Cutrone, whilst I don’t think he’s a cart horse ((Sm6)), but he just hasn’t got going in old gold and although he looked promising (to me at least) in a couple of the Europa matches, he never really impressed sufficiently. I’ve definitely seen worse though. Added to that, a possible row with Nuno which I’ve heard about (never was I one to start a rumour) where in such circumstances there is only ever going to be one winner. He’s gone and in the history of Wolves, he’ll be a bump on a blip, that’s all. His fee was amazing. I’ve read anything from 16-18M. I’ve also read we’ll get an initial 1.5M from Florence, with another 13.5M in 2021 if / when signed.

I feel sorry for all those who got his name printed on the back of their shirts - of which there are quite a few!!

In the meantime, as a sad irony, I include a summary from Cutrone’s current Wikipedia page. Do you concur Angry? thumbs down (Sm1) Maybe Fiorentina’s head scout read it before signing him up?

Known for his eye for goal, Cutrone has been described as a "true number 9" by several Italian football pundits.[51] His main playing attributes as a forward are his physical strength, positioning, aerial ability, and heading, as well as his opportunism, movement, and ability to read the game; he also drawn praise in the media for his work-rate off the ball, while his technique and team play have been cited as areas for improvement, however. Due to his characteristics, he has been compared to former A.C. Milan striker Filippo Inzaghi, who used to train him while working as a coach with the A.C. Milan Youth Sector from 2012 to 2014. “

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Posted by: Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 14:13

I would agree with his work-rate off the ball and possibly his positioning but nothing else.

Date: 12 January, 2020 14:31

lol @ wikipedia .. Anyone can write anything on there. It was probably written by either himself, his gf or the hapless Herbert who signed him in order to keep his job.

Date: 12 January, 2020 14:32

or maisey taw (Sm100)

Posted by: barmy army wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 16:35

I thought he was ok, and perhaps wasn’t used as often as he could of been...

What bothers me now though, if Raul leaves for United, I know it’s only a rumour but it’s already been
publicised that he is keen to make a name for his self and if not in premier he would like to go to Spain!
I’d like to see another striker brought in before Raul leaves!
I suppose we could play Adama up front but whilst Jota is out injured it’s key area to invest!

Any young lads in our youth ready to step up?

Date: 12 January, 2020 18:06

Ashley-Seal was on the bench yesterday. Having seen his 45 minutes v Manchester United, bar a promising run early on, he did not impress or have much impact. He also needs to vastly improve his strength, being easily out muscled.
Since then it has been suggested Ashley-Seal wasn’t feeling well last week and a young player needs a hell of an amount of time / encouragement to develop but it would take a great deal to convince me he is anywhere near ready.
Back to Cutrone , on the day after he made his Fulham move permanent and after he scored a great winner, I’d have Cav ahead of Cutrone at Wolves any day of the week!
Can we have him back? 👍

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2020 18:08 by Ivybridge Wolf.

Posted by: maiseytaw (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 13:41

I still 100% believe that, with a bit of time and patience, Cutrone would have come good for us. I still 100% believe that we will look back in 2 years time and regret letting him go and not giving him more of a chance. However, I do accept that, particularly since Nuno didn't rate him, that the transfer overall has to be seen as a monumental failure. It's a shame because he was popular with the fans, worked bloody hard for the team even when things weren't going his way and showed more passion for the club in 6 months than I saw from the whole old bomb squad lot put together. But we move on and hopefully the next one in will be a success.

Date: 29 January, 2020 17:31

Well, we have, or nearly have, Daniel Podence. In true style, I know nothing ..... except he’s from Olympiakos, he’s 24, a winger, Portuguese (naturally) and with a reported fee of £16.5M.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
Date: 30 January, 2020 12:07

Daniel Podence has now been announced as our latest signing.
What footage I have seen suggests that he has plenty of pace and very good close control,similar to Jota. Seems he can also operate on either wing.

Posted by: wolverina (IP Logged)
Date: 30 January, 2020 14:11

Glad to see it finalised - not a very Portuguese-sounding name, is it? Not that I care where he's from as long as he does his job! UTW!

Date: 31 January, 2020 14:04

E&S reporting Bennett is / may be on his way to Leicester. Whilst time moves on, I sincerely hope not, I have liked him from the off. Okay, he deserves more football and it does seem Nuno has him down the proverbial pecking list, but I think he’s a great centre half.

Posted by: Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 15:12

I liked Bennett too and considering he was a free transfer, he was a great signing.
As good as this squad has been over the last couple of seasons though, if we are to reach the aims that Fosun have laid down, it has probably taken us as far as it can and some positions/players need to be improved and unfortunately I think Bennett is one of them and it seems as though Nuno has five defenders in front of him so if there was the chance to move him on I think that is probably fair enough.
I very much doubt if he will be the last one and I suspect the summer transfer window will be busier than this one.
I appreciate what a great servant he was for us though and I wont forget that last minute winner against Bristol City in a hurry.

Date: 31 January, 2020 16:30

And in other news from the BBC .......
“Luke Matheson deal to Wolves all done - personal terms and medical agreed - fee around £1m. Will be announced later this evening. Loaned back to Rochdale for the rest of the season.”

Current Page: 2 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net