Current Page: 1 of 2
Replacements from our historical past.
Posted by: Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 16:59

I am completely behind our current squad and have nothing but pride in each and every player who currently pulls on the Old Gold jersey.

But got to wondering which character from our historic catalogue of quality ex players I would consider as a permanent replacement for one of the current squad.

Would have to fit into the current style of play and be seen as an upgrade on the player he is replacing.

Would be interesting to hear the views of others.

My (difficult) choice eventually became Derek Parkin for Saiss.

Re: Replacements from our historical past.
Posted by: ` (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 17:08

Alex Rae for Dendonker

Posted by: oldngold (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 18:10

Apart from Steve Bull, Paul Ince and Denis Irwin you have to go back to the Dougan years and before that the Culis era to find anyone capable of playing in this team.

The following would certainly add to the current squad

Billy Wright (instead of Coady)
Ron Flowers (Alongside Moutinho or Neves)
Peter Broadbent (Our greatest ever player, alongside Jiminez and Traore)
Bill Slater (Back-up behind Wright or Boly)
Roy Swinbourne (Back-up or even ahead of Jimenez)

Ted Farmer (Backup for Jimenez)
Peter Knowles (Backup to Broadbent)
Derek Dougan (Up top when we need a big man)
Dave Wagstaffe (Would have to be a wing back & do more defensive work in modern game)
John Richards (No 9, but behind Bull, Jimenez, Farmer & Swinbourne)
Mike Bailey (Great in his day but not sure would even make the squad)
Derek Parkin (Great in his day but not sure would even make the squad)

Steve Bull (Instead of Jimenez as target man)
Paul Ince (Possible surplus to requirements - Sell to inter Milan)
Denis Irwin (Starter in front of Jonny, Wagstaffe)

Any names I missed? Emlyn Hughes but he only came right at the end of his career.

Date: 23 February, 2020 18:12

Note everyone named, apart from Steve Bull, performed and delivered against the best in England and Europe. So no one from our years up and down the divisions.

So no Alex Rae is not in this class

Posted by: Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 19:44

As Lupy has asked for replacements for the current squad, I would say Matt Murray for John Ruddy, Frank Munro and Dean Richards for Romain Saiss and Max Kilman, Kenny Hibbitt for MGW.
As we play a different formation these days a like for like replacement is difficult but I would like to see Derek Parkin, Dave Wagstaffe and John Richards in the squad somewhere.
Just like to point out that I am in no way complaining about any of the current players.

Date: 23 February, 2020 21:31

Quote:
oldngold
Note everyone named, apart from Steve Bull, performed and delivered against the best in England and Europe. So no one from our years up and down the divisions.
So no Alex Rae is not in this class

Maybe in your view but many of these legendary names would get eaten alive in the modern era. The cullis team may have been the best we have ever had compared to it's contemporaries , but modern players are faster stronger and better technically than ones of years gone by. If the current wolves side played the one under Cullis it'd win by a cricket score

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2020 21:32 by an angry wolf.

Date: 23 February, 2020 22:11

Incidentally OldnGold, out of curiosity , you stated a few months ago wolves were facing a relegation 6 pointer against Watford with us doomed due to not being good enough and now a few weeks later we " would have to go back to the cullis era to find anyone capable of playing in this team". Nothing like a bit of knee jerk reaction posting to a few wins/defeats going from one mad extreme to another lol where we are now the club version of the 1970 Brazil side.

Rae , Lescott , Murray , Bull would all be contenders. I can't comment on the others as they are before my time and despite having a statue of him and a stand named after him wouldn't name players Ive never seen play live as Id have to be in my 70s to mention Billy wright

Date: 24 February, 2020 06:54

Interestingly no mention of Peter Knowles.

Date: 24 February, 2020 11:52

Well I shall try to recall his latter years lupine as when he retired I was 3 years old - the memories are hazy. I've no doubt some on here started watching wolves under Major Buckey (Sm2)

Posted by: Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 19:27

Bill McGarry era was the first for me.
Actually a great thread, has made me really think. What I’ll say is that if current training opportunities were available in the 60s onwards I truly believe many I saw in the 70s onwards would have made it now. The likes of Waggy, Doug, Richards (especially King John!), Hibbit, Parkin, Munro would be pushing very hard indeed. I’d also include another not yet mentioned from that era that I think could do it - John McAlle.
The system, if we needed to keep it the same as now, then of the above, without a shadow, Waggy, Richards, Hibbit and Parkin.
Then there’s not many after that, I have to include Bully, I think he’d give the current crop of defenders the run around even in a loan centre forward role, certainly in his pomp, regardless of system.
Agree with Dean Richards. Class.
Then from 2003/4, Ince and Irwin (but younger than when we had them) and definitely Lescott.
Not many keepers mentioned. I think we have had a few who’d give Patricio something to think about .... Tim Flowers, Matt Murray and Mike Stowell. I know he was understudy for Southall for quite a while, however I really rated Micky Stowell and felt we incredibly luck to have him at Wolves. And for shear clowning around as Rui did against Espanyol, he’ll never reach the heights of Mark Kendall.
I was wondering about Robbie Keane ...... nobodies mentioned him either?

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Date: 26 February, 2020 11:19

No mention of Andy Gray.

Posted by: Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
Date: 26 February, 2020 14:24

No mention of Andy Gray nor Steve Daley, both broke the British transfer record.

Date: 26 February, 2020 19:57

The more you think, the more you can make a case for other players not yet mentioned.

Andy Gray, definitely!

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Date: 26 February, 2020 21:05

frankowski anyone?

Date: 27 February, 2020 20:46

He could be the missing piece in our current jigsaw 🧩

Date: 01 March, 2020 23:54

They have turned it around. At that stage in the season we were struggling, albeit a difficult opening few games which I also made clear at the time. And I stated I would be more than happy to be utterly wrong. It's football FFS. We could lose every game for the rest of the season.

And without exception Peter Broadbent was our greatest ever player as attested by the people who saw him and the players, like Knowles, who I saw play. played with him.

Yes the game has moved on as have the performance enhancing drugs. I didn't ask for replacements from our historical past.

The point if there is any f'ing point to this post is that there are not that many players from the past who would be capable of playing in this team.

Date: 02 March, 2020 08:23

The point, Oldngold, was just a bit of fun.

Date: 02 March, 2020 08:49

I found it a difficult thread to respond to ..... but interesting. Permanent replacement to fit in the style of our current play and an upgrade was called for. That’s tough! And to cap it all we’ve never played the Nuno style, pre Nuno.

The list and comments I made could only be about players I’ve seen. Peter Knowles I missed by one season, sadly. I think many of players l listed, which represent a tiny percentage of the players we’ve seen come and go would push this squad very hard for a place. Such chances of selection could only be enhanced by current sports science standards, training, dietary knowledge and the complete absence of cigarettes (including at half time) and a good post match skin full in the local boozer of choice! Not that they all did that!

Added to that, look at how Nuno has been instrumental in the advancement of the likes of Coady and the Doc. They didn’t look half the players under Lambert et al but training and identifying their optimum position and potential has paid off .... big time! So that strengthens the case for many of the oldies to get a go in the side as well as suggesting a few more from under my radar could have succeeded too.

Steve Corica as a marauding, ball playing, tough tackling Coady style centre half and leader anyone? Maybe that’s stretching it too far 😂

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2020 08:51 by Ivybridge Wolf.

Posted by: Cheshire wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 02 March, 2020 22:11

I have to say I would have liked to think a fit Bakary Sako could have made it in to the squad. There was always hope of a left footed thunderbolt from him!!

Date: 08 March, 2020 18:01

Agreed it is a bit of fun, and I suggested a group of illustrious names from our HISTORICAL past, most of whom I have seen. Unfortunately you have to be old to have seen the last time Wolves really competed at this level and were a top club. And it is great to see that again. Our rise in the last 3 years is extraordinary.

I gave my view and opinion in the spirit of the post and got shot down with an unrelated matter thrown in my face. Personally I don't give a @#$%&. I don't have time to trawl through what people have said so I can make shitty snide comments.

But then you might want to consider why this board has hardly anyone posting anymore.

Cheers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 18:07 by oldngold.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net