Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Replacements from our historical past.
Posted by: oldngold (IP Logged)
Date: 08 March, 2020 22:42

I saw both play many times. Couldn't believe City paid over £1 Million for Daley. Good player but never that good. Gray was great in the air who struck real fear into defences, and it was a panicked Needham and Shilton that gave him that open goal in the League Cup Final. Will go to my grave amazed that we won that day. Was good to be there for both league cup finals defeating two top teams in 74 and 80.

I still think that Gray's best years were at Villa where he had more mobility before his knee injuries. These days Gray would likely be plying his trade in the Championship or a lower half premier league team. Gray or Dougan would be at best backups for Jimenez. Assuming training, diet and conditioning were all equal of course. Dougan was notably very strong and fit for his day & I think would adapt well to the modern game more than Gray. But these are all imponderable.

One name who would almost certainly thrive on today's billiard table pitches and more protection from referees would be Broadbent. The mind boggles what he would be like in the modern game.

Re: Replacements from our historical past.
Posted by: Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 16 March, 2020 13:38

Interesting article on the official site with a great piece on Willy Carr. There is a paragraph which he addresses team then and now. Worth a read

On Willy Carr, one of my big memories of him was scoring our equaliser very close to FT in the 3rd of the FA Cup 1978. Great free kick followed by regrettable pandemonium created by Wolves fans who then ran amuck.

Willy Carr link

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net