Nuno picks his favourites
Posted by: Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 23:26

I see that Patrick Cutrone has had a bit of a swipe at Nuno as to why his time at Wolves didn't work out.
He's basically said that Nuno picked virtually the same 11 each week, sticking with the players who won promotion. Maybe if he had got his head down like Neto has, he may have got into the team more often. Then again, maybe it was because he just wasn't good enough. Running around and working hard as he did was never going to be enough to get him in in place of Jiminez.

Re: Nuno picks his favourites
Posted by: ` (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 00:03

All the best teams in history or most of them anyway have had less rotation keeping players who know each other. I'm not an advocate of keep changing players - Atletico madrid are a classic case of keeping the same trusted group of players managing to compete with Real and Barcelona on a fraction of their budgets. Crutone had a fancy name with his tats and awards but wasn't better than what we had. Far better to sign 2 or 3 "top " players than half a dozen squad fillers disrupting the dynamics of the squad.

Posted by: Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 07:01

Playing an unchanged team and operating with a small squad does seem to be paying dividends. There seems to be an almost telepathic element to our play with players not having to think twice about where their teammates are and what pass to play. Against Norwich yesterday there were occasions when passes were played with barely a look first.

Posted by: Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 19:02

It’s very much the ethos to keep the squad tight and in my book, there’s nothing wrong with that, indeed I really like it. Recent injuries highlights the potential down side but Wolves have managed things very well since Nuno came in. Maximum credit must go to the back room and medical / training boys who have kept injuries to an absolute minimum and we now fly in the face of ‘rotation’ and ‘resting’ , challenging the contemporary view.
In essence everybody now knows what they must do and I’m convinced that when we do have key injuries i.e. Willy, this goes a long way to making the most of the squad who just slot in, minimising the disruption.
Cutrone mouthing off, won’t even register in Nuno’s world. But he’s wrong the core was similar but there’s been many changes / additions since we went up. If you are good enough, you play.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Posted by: Cheshire wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2020 00:50

I think the fact that Nuno gave MGW another run out tonight belies what Cutrone has said. I think he will keep giving players a chance until it's clear they are not going to be good enough in the long term for the club.

Posted by: maiseytaw (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2020 19:57

There's a fine balance to be had between having stability in the team we pick each game and the impact it has when said stable team loses key components. Having 99% familiarity between 14 players is all well and good, but when we make changes like we did last night, it really shows. Having a bit of rotation isn't a bad thing.

Date: 28 February, 2020 21:31

What Cutrone was alluding to was that the reason he wasn't played enough was because Nuno was too loyal to the players who won promotion despite there being plenty of players, Patricio, Dendoncker, Jonny, Moutinho, Traore, Jiminez, Neto who had nothing to do with winning promotion but have played regularly. The main reason he didn't play enough was because for whatever reason, he wasn't good enough.

Posted by: maiseytaw (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2020 15:41

The main reason he didn't play, in my view, was he wasn't prepared to play how Nuno wanted him to play or learn from him. He's playing exactly the way he played here at Fiorentina, from the few live games I've seen of them. He's a pressing, poacher forward, nothing like how Jimenez plays, and wasn't interested in playing the Jimenez role.

Date: 29 February, 2020 16:22

Possibly. Anyway, if he wasn't prepared to play the way Nuno wanted it's a good job he's gone.

Posted by: ` (IP Logged)
Date: 29 February, 2020 17:35

As the old saying goes, good riddance to bad rubbish... the lad was sh1te - case closed I'm afraid

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net