Where do we go from here?
Posted by: Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
Date: 15 March, 2020 15:16

I see that Karren Brady wants the season to be finished here with current standings remaining. Well, she would wouldn't she, with her interest in West Ham.
She's not the only one but that idea would be totally unfair. With 9 or 10 matches left, the clubs in the bottom three at the moment can still escape and at the other end of the table there are sides, including us of course, that can qualify for the Champions League as well as the Europa League.
Some say the season should be declared null and void, not really fair on Liverpool or anyone in the running for promotion. And who would represent us in Europe next season?
For me, the season has to carry on as soon as possible, hopefully April 3rd but I doubt that it will be that soon. With every country in Europe affected by this virus, UEFA can help out by postponing the Euros until next summer which would free up plenty of time for the season to be played to its conclusion.
These days football seems to begin and end with the Premier League where there is plenty of money sloshing around but let's not forget the clubs in the lower divisions and non-league. They are desperate for revenue from attendances and many will struggle if the season finishes here, if they don't go out of business altogether.
If the season is finished in the summer, clubs will no doubt complain about not having much of a break between this season and the start of the next. It's not an ideal solution but then again, there isn't an ideal solution.

Re: Where do we go from here?
Posted by: maiseytaw (IP Logged)
Date: 16 March, 2020 09:27

I'd rather they finish the season late and behind closed doors than any of the options being presented. If Villa stay up by default and we aren't given a chance to finish in a Champions League spot it'll probably be the final straw for me going every week, after the whole VAR farce.

Posted by: Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
Date: 16 March, 2020 10:38

Could they use some form of mathematical algorithm to determine the outcome of the final league positions?

Posted by: Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 16 March, 2020 14:01

The trouble is football timetables are intrinsically interlinked, nationally and internationally. So even if we are free from virus, it is unlikely this will be seamless across Europe. So what’s to be done with the Europa and Champions League and possible preliminaries that usually take place from July which are of course dependant on national leagues finishing. Chaos!

The first thing that must surely happen is postponing Euro 2020 until 2021. At least that will give breathing space to finish leagues BUT across Europe, individual leagues may not be complete until autumn by which we may see another rise of the virus especially if there continues to be no vaccine. Unfathomable variables!

Nevertheless by closing down Euro 2020, the aim should be to get this English season finished, whenever that may be and then only if possible consider a 2020/21 season - shortened, truncated or whatever e.g. 19 match season? At least then, all the issues of champions, relegation, promotion, play offs this season would be settled. The 2019/20 Europa / Champions league fixtures could then be completed as the full european viral picture becomes clear, so an option might be cancel the European 2020/21 competitions?

That’s what I am thinking at the moment but it’s fluid, even for me, as the consequences of decisions become understood. The big issue with any of my suggestions is player contracts which end on 30th June, some of whom have already been promised new clubs and opportunities.

Whatever is decided, no one conclusion will be satisfactory, winners and losers to everything and many clubs across England who already have their future in the balance will be waiting with baited breath. Don’t rule out more clubs folding under the pressure, especially in the lower leagues. How about the FA stepping in with Premier League support?

Anyway, as per usual, cash is king ......... follow the money ....... that’s what will determine decisions. And expect plenty on conflict.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/03/2020 15:12 by Ivybridge Wolf.

Posted by: Sheffield WWFC (IP Logged)
Date: 16 March, 2020 17:10

UEFA seem to be suggesting the quarter-finalists of Europa and Champions League play it out in a mini-tournament instead of the UEFA nations competition. Seems sensible to me and would keep the sponsors/TV happy. I definitely want to see the domestic season played out in all divisions no matter how long it takes, not least so smaller clubs don't go to the wall. Scrapping FA cup replays next season is inevitable at least from round 3 and would probably have happened anyway. Maybe remodel the Caraboa cup as a knockout for lower leagues something like the old Sherpa Van trophy with some decent money going to the lower league clubs. Definitely agree the smaller clubs will need financial support and it will be criminal if the big clubs block this.

Posted by: Cheshire wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 10:30

I have to agree with the majority opinion on here that it is imperative that the 2019-20 season is properly finished, to ensure that all final positions - particularly at the top and bottom are justifiable. The fact that Villa are currently in the bottom three but have a game in hand is a good example of why this must be done to ensure fairness. Once this is done we can start worrying about next season.

If next season starts late I would expect the Carabao Cup and possibly the FA Cup to be abandoned to enable midweek games to be played more frequently and keep the season within a reasonable timescale.

At this point I would have hoped that clubs are already addressing the issue of players contracts and who they need to retain or let go. Funnily enough the players are the ones I worry about least in all this. They are certainly not going to struggle if the work dries up for a while, and many of them - the likes of Pogba - put their own welfare above that of their clubs routinely.

Posted by: Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 19:43

Well, Euro 2020 is indeed now Euro 2021 - good.

On top of that the FA etc have now stated no football until at least after 30th April. Whilst this may appear to just ‘kick the can down the road’ in the knowledge that BoJo is preparing us for 12 weeks (or longer) of special measures, it’s not easy for anyone, including the FA to make any predictions of any sort. We’ll know a lot more in 4 - 5 weeks time. Unlike UEFA who reckon the whole of European football will be completed by 30th June! I’m sure they don’t think that really.

As for next season, who knows. I can see cup football coming under pressure but I’d like to see FA cup retained If at all possible, probably in a revised format ..... I say that because the first qualifying rounds for this season started on 10th August 2019. Surely, that wouldn’t work at all for 2020/21.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Posted by: Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 19:53

I know and agree that people's health is number one priority and there are more important things in life than sport but there is just no good news. No football, no racing, no rugby. There is nothing to look forward to. I've had enough and it's only just started.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net