Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Match Thread: Burnley FC vs Wolves
Posted by: Andy Fincher (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 20:58

I agree. It was never going to be overturned. I've made my feelings known about the pile of @#$%& which is VAR several times. The decision to give a penalty should never have been given in the first place.
I'm not one to have a go at referees as a rule. They have a difficult job and by and large do it well but this was one of those the ref got wrong.

Date: 15 July, 2020 21:07

Quote:
an angry wolf
Thinking about it , I dont think it is "dangerous play" as a striker is entitled to go for a bicycle kick late in the game- if it was a wolves striker we would all be saying he was entitled to go for it. The problem is in the rules- a penalty should not be given for any old foul/handball but clear goal scoring opportunities denied to the attacking team by a foul. The laws of a foul inside the pen area should be different as a penalty is such a serious punishment for any team and common sense of a player protecting himself is not " denying a team a clear goal scoring opportunity".
Most of the pens are given by handballs that are contentious rather than other fouls and it's the handball rule that needs to change asap

I respect your opinion Angry but we'll have to disagree on this one. Doherty's jumping and still has a bootfull of studs around his swede. The attacker's foot is too high. Dangerous play for me.

Posted by: an angry wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 21:25

I suppose you could argue any foot above waist height constitutes dangerous play but then every bicycle kick would be disallowed incase a defenders head was near. In any event we are all agreed that doc had good reason to have his hand up to prevent his teeth getting knocked out and in situations like this common sense has to prevail.

Posted by: Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 21:36

Agree with your views Angry, ridiculous penalties have been given for handball throughout the season.

Posted by: Lupinehowler (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 21:59

And VAR decisions for offside also need to become more sensible.

Posted by: Cheshire wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2020 14:16

Quote:
Andy Fincher
Whether we qualify for Champions League via the Europa League or no, I have no idea, but it won't happen this season by means of the Premier League.
Rather than looking at teams above I think we should be looking at what's going on below as the chasers are closing. We've had a great season so far and I would hate to end with no European qualification at all.

I'm not sure it's as cut and dried as that Andy. With Man City & Man Utd both having the chance of getting to the FA Cup Final, if one of them were to win it and finish in the Top 4, I believe that might create another Europa League place like it did for us last year when we finished in 7th place.

Date: 16 July, 2020 20:27

With all due respect Chesh, it is as cut and dried as that. Spuds are one point behind, Sheffield two and Arsenal three. As much as I hope we do, we are not going to reach the Champions League via the Premier League. We need to keep an eye on what's going on below us and not above.

Posted by: Cheshire wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2020 10:20

Quote:
Andy Fincher
With all due respect Chesh, it is as cut and dried as that. Spuds are one point behind, Sheffield two and Arsenal three. As much as I hope we do, we are not going to reach the Champions League via the Premier League. We need to keep an eye on what's going on below us and not above.

We’re probably at cross purposes here Andy. I agree that the Champions League is beyond our reach but think we are still in with a good shout to be in the Europa Lge again next season, particularly if City or Utd win the FA Cup. I think three points against Palace on Monday is imperative for us.

Date: 17 July, 2020 15:56

Ok mate, no problem. Stay safe.

Current Page: 3 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net