Modern Football
Posted by: an angry wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 16:44

I think we can all agree that standards have increased from the days of the 70s/80s where the style tended to be long ball rather than shorter more measured build up play of the current era but is it more enjoyable? Over the last couple of days , I have been having a heated "debate" with a United fan on another forum who is arguing the Europa league is worthless and now United have qualified for the top 4 they should play their under 23s giving the poor overworked boys on 1 million plus each month a " rest". This kind of attitude dismissing decent competitions like the Europa and even the FA cup makes me wish we were back in the 80s where silverware was prioritised over the top 4 obsession. Many United fans didn't care about losing to Chelsea at Wembley in the cup semi stating their game against west Ham was more important as it meant a top 4 finish... what's happened to the game where a prestigious competition like the UEFA/EUROPA league is viewed with such contempt by arrogant fans like this?

Although we were all captivated by an unlikely battle for a top4 place, I'd sooner see silverware than finishing 4th and getting trounced by Madrid/Barcelona down the line in the champions league. In 50 years no one will remember finishing 4th but an FA cup or Europa league will always be on the role of honours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2020 16:45 by an angry wolf.

Re: Modern Football
Posted by: Ivybridge Wolf (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 18:49

When you’re in it, the ‘race for 4th’ is interesting, dare I say it, is exciting (until our push folded) , but I’m afraid that if it is 4th in the league we are aiming for, is that really a marker for big success? Not for me. Nevertheless, the contemporary view held by many (including your Manure debater, Angry) and often fuelled by hysterical mainstream media media, ‘big clubs’ and a certain section of fans (likely to follow aforementioned media and ‘big clubs’) is that certain competitions are not worthy and even going one step further ...... debasing them too. It’s all bullsheet!

Silverware has to be the ultimate goal.

Modern football is full of total cr&p at times, we’ve all spoken about it here over the years and it is sometimes a bit depressing. I’ll give you another example this week. Arsenal. This week, despite multimillion wages afford to players, directors and leaches such as agents, as soon as furlough finishes, 55 ordinary employees get their P45s. I have to say I have been very impressed with the way Fosun have approached this issue, an example if you like (I hope I’m not going to be eating my words in the days and weeks to come!), however how much of a pay cut would the likes of world superstar and exemplary badge thumper David Luiz et al need to make to keep the ordinary mortal employees of Arsenal in a job?

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net