Current Page: 1 of 5
Transfers and youth
Posted by: MattySadler (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 06:59

Summer transfer budget has taken a big hit after last night's disaster. Plans will have to change as we allegedly only have £40 million to spend.

I'd rather we focused that on one, possibly two, higher quality signings.

The one positive is some of our talented youth players will have to be given a chance now.

Re: Transfers and youth
Posted by: goonerred (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 07:02

We really need to sort our defence out.

Posted by: Bergmars (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 07:07

Disagree its time to sign some fighters and players who can actually defend its pointless signing more Ozils or Mistakkis no second rate La Liga players thanks look in the lower ranks of the EPL and the EFL

Under new managment

Posted by: goonerred (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 07:11

Quote:
Bergmars
Disagree its time to sign some fighters and players who can actually defend its pointless signing more Ozils or Mistakkis no second rate La Liga players thanks look in the lower ranks of the EPL and the EFL
I agree, we don't need WC players to sort out the dross we have, we've been done by 'lesser' players with grit. We need to start again and go back to basics.

Date: 30 May, 2019 07:28

Quote:
Bergmars

Didn't say anything about whether these quality players have "fight" or not. Just would rather we spent what little money we have on better players rather than 5 or 6 Elneny's.

Posted by: younghansolo (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 08:18

I'd be looking at some of the decent defender sin the championship personally. You could sign a great defence from the championship for about 40m.

Posted by: BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 09:29

The fact we apparently only have £40m to spend and that we're even talking about championship players means we're well and truly f.ucked.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Posted by: AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 09:31

I hope the 40million is still up for grab after we failed to get 🆑 Qualification.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Posted by: BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 13:39

Quote:
AJ The Gunner
I hope the 40million is still up for grab after we failed to get 🆑 Qualification.

That's one half decent player these days, so it doesn't even scratch the surface of what's actually required.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Posted by: plonky (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 16:07

As I understand it the cost of buying a new player is spread over the length of his contract.

For example we buy Lionel Messi for £40m plus £10m wages p.a. on a 4 year contract.

This works out at £40m + 4x£10m = £80m total spread over 4 years. That's £20m cost to the club in year 1 of his contract and £20m for the next 3 years of his contract.

So with our £40m war chest we could potentially buy 2 Messis

A proper accountant may ne able to explain this better.

Date: 30 May, 2019 16:30

Use Leno, Martinez, Bellerin, Maitland-Niles, Sokratis, Koscielny*, Holding, Mavropanos, Chambers, Bielik, Monreal*, Xhaka, Torreira, Guendouzi, Willock, Smith-Rowe, Iwobi, Nelson, Saka, Amaechi, Aubameyang, Lacazette and Nketiah as our starting point (unless of course someone comes in with a good offer for any of them), (try to) bin everyone else and see what we can sign.

A few of the younger players I've named could probably benefit more from a loan, but we'll need them for the earlier stages of the Europa League.

* If we had more money to sign replacements I'd get rid of them as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2019 16:37 by MattySadler.

Posted by: djarse (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 16:59

Quote:
MattySadler
Use Leno, Martinez, Bellerin, Maitland-Niles, Sokratis, Koscielny*, Holding, Mavropanos, Chambers, Bielik, Monreal*, Xhaka, Torreira, Guendouzi, Willock, Smith-Rowe, Iwobi, Nelson, Saka, Amaechi, Aubameyang, Lacazette and Nketiah as our starting point (unless of course someone comes in with a good offer for any of them), (try to) bin everyone else and see what we can sign.
A few of the younger players I've named could probably benefit more from a loan, but we'll need them for the earlier stages of the Europa League.

Agree with that - though perhaps Medly & Ballard should be mentioned too ?

And it means we get rid of the following:

Ospina, Macey, Lichsteiner, Jenkinson, Pleguezuelo, Bramall, Elneny, Ramsey, Wellbeck, Suarez, Asano, Nwakali, Mustafi, Kolaaincac and Mkhitaryan

Date: 30 May, 2019 17:31

Quote:
djarse
Agree with that - though perhaps Medly & Ballard should be mentioned too ?
And it means we get rid of the following:

Ospina, Macey, Lichsteiner, Jenkinson, Pleguezuelo, Bramall, Elneny, Ramsey, Wellbeck, Suarez, Asano, Nwakali, Mustafi, Kolaaincac and Mkhitaryan

Yeah I think there's a chance we could see them in the early Europa League group stages/ League Cup as well.

Ballard certainly deserves a first team appearance after this season.

As I've said previously I think Ballard is a better "defender" than Medley, but Medley has the advantage of being far more impressive physically, better on the ball and left-sided.

Posted by: Shane (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 18:04

Let's take that budget and rebrand as a rugby team. £40 million is f*cking loads in rugby. You could literally buy the world's best player for about £1.5 million. In fact we probably already have him in Kolasinac. It's been done before. Sometimes I see Real Madrid and Barcelona playing one another in basketball and stuff. Listen, I'm not saying it's a great idea, but worth keeping in mind.

Posted by: tigerline (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 19:16

Quote:
MattySadler

Thanks, Matty.

To further the discussion, could you please list the primary and secondary positions for these "new blood" players?
e.g., Which, if any of these guys can play LB or AM? Or, does Iwobi move inside?

Mavropanos -
Medley -
Bielik -
Ballard -
Chambers -
Smith-Rowe -
Saka -
Willock -
Reiss-Nelson -
Nketiah -
Amaechi -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2019 19:19 by tigerline.

Date: 30 May, 2019 20:43

Quote:
tigerline
Thanks, Matty.
To further the discussion, could you please list the primary and secondary positions for these "new blood" players?
e.g., Which, if any of these guys can play LB or AM? Or, does Iwobi move inside?

Mavropanos - Centre back
Medley - Centre back/ left back
Bielik - Centre mid/ centre back
Ballard - Centre back
Chambers - Centre mid/ centre back/ right back
Smith-Rowe - Attacking midfield/ wide midfield (but could end up playing deeper)
Saka - Left wing/ left wing back/ left back
Willock - Centre mid/ attacking mid
Reiss-Nelson - Right wing/ left wing
Nketiah - Striker/ right wing
Amaechi - Right wing/ left wing

On the subject of Iwobi I still feel he would be more use to us playing deeper/ more centrally.

Posted by: hahanice (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 23:19

Why is xhaka safe? Not a small coincidence that we have failed to make top 4 every season he's been on our books

Posted by: Kalela (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 01:23

It is unfortunate the club was not able to sign Ivan Perišić in the last transfer window. He is exactly the type of player Arsenal needed at the end of the season to finish strong. A hardworking fearless player who will put 100% into every game.

Ante Rebić is a younger and better version of Perisic and Arsenal should sign him.
I don't think he will cost an insane amount as he is still somewhat under the radar. You need those type of players who will put 100% in and fight in big games to win trophies and titles. He would be a good Ramsey replacement. This team actually fell apart when Ramsey got injured.

As for the defense buying someone like Lewis Dunk would fix a lot of problems. He is got good size, can head the ball, reads the game decently and tackles really well. He won't cost a lot either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2019 05:50 by Kalela.

Posted by: Merlion96 (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 23:04

Unfortunately, Sanllehi knew Latin America and if Edu come sin, Latin America again.

Prepare for more players coming in from Spain, France and Latin America.

'We can strive to act as best as we can, but we can never completely control the outcome. … … but if we make our goal simply doing the best we can, then nothing can get in our way' Stoicism

Posted by: Bergmars (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2019 13:08

Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
Bergmars

Didn't say anything about whether these quality players have "fight" or not. Just would rather we spent what little money we have on better players rather than 5 or 6 Elneny's.
We need some real defenders and some players who dislike losing no more fragile butterflies but with 40 mill its a hard task

Under new managment

Current Page: 1 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net